Cannot switch to desktop mode.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cannot switch to desktop mode.

Good day team,

Before I delete my account I would like to ask for help one last time in hopes I don’t have to delete my account and I can still enjoy playing CoW.

My problem is simple, as soon as the last update was released at the end of January, the button that switches to desktop mode does not work. The button makes war noises when pressed but it just doesn’t make the switch over to desktop mode.

I had two games going and it was doing this to both of them. I tried switching from my iPhone to my iPad and then to my desktop and then to my laptop but I had the same problem on all devices.

I reported this as a bug and received assistance from a nice gentleman named Dante Bugler1.

We went over at least a dozen basic refreshers such as logging in and out, clearing my cookies & browsers history, using several different browsers, updating all devices and browsers, copying and pasting the desktop links sent to me by Dante, etc. but nothing has worked so far. After the basics proofed fruitless, Dante advised he would send this problem up to the developers.

Two weeks later I asked for an update to this problem and I was advised that they did find a solution. The solution the dev team gave was “make sure your browser is updated and then erase the cookies. Of course this is one of the things Basic refreshers that Dante already had me try but he advised “this only works for most but not everyone”.

With that said, if the solution “doesn’t work for everyone” than it doesn’t seem as though anyone actually found a solution to this problem and there should be no reason to sweep this under the rug and forget about it.

Can someone/ anyone please help fix this problem?

Is there anyway to give the dev team my login credentials and let them see the problem from my point of view?

Yes, the game still works in mobile mode but mobile mode isn’t the full version that I enjoyed playing for the past several years. The mobile version is very inconvenient and time consuming. It doesn’t show you everything you need to know, it constantly crashes and it is in so many words a lesser versions of the game and now not enjoyable to play anymore.

Please CoW team, please help get this fixed. I don’t want to have to stop playing because of a bug that came from the most recent update.

Thank you for your time and best regards,

Peachez
    • The solution for this issue is to clear your browser cookies relating to Call of War, then clear your browser cache, as our first reply to you stated.

This is because the information that your browser uses to determine if you want to use mobile mode or desktop mode is stored as a cookie in your browser. There is nothing stored on the server side at all, so this fix is something that you have to do on your own device.

I am not aware of these steps not working for any case that we have tested.

The following images are from version 79 of Chrome browser. Other versions may vary slightly, and other browsers will also vary slightly. There are also other ways to do this same process.

First close any tabs for Call of War, and open a new tab.

The setting you need to find is named "Clear browsing data" in chrome. You can find it by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Delete, or by opening the settings menu and typing in "clear browsing data" in the search box.

In the "clear browsing data" section, first select the "advanced" tab.

In the time range drop down menu select " All time"

Then check the boxes for " Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and other files"

Then select the "Clear data" button. Please note that this method will clear ALL of your cookies and will likely log you out of all of the websites that you visit.

Now when you visit Callofwar.com you will be looking at the login screen, and will need to use the drop down login arrow in the upper right corner. If you do not have to log in again, then your cookies were not completely cleared.

There are alternate options as well. When you are looking at the Call of War page you can press the F12 button and a menu will open allowing you to clear the site data for that site. I have not tested this shortcut personally so I have no screenshots or detailed instructions for it.

These steps will resolve your issue.
      Images
      • Screenshot_308.jpg

28.26 kB, 513×491, viewed 4 times
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<

The post was edited 1 time, last by VorlonFCW ().

• I have followed all of your steps and completed this procedure once again.

It said all of my website data, cookies and history is at 0% per below:

I attempted to log back into CoW and it brings me to my current game but it is still in mobile mode.

I tried this on both my laptop and my iPad and the game is still stuck in mobile mode.

• Idea...

What if you personally Logged into my account and opened my current game?

Theory #1 - If you can play my current game on desktop mode, take a screen shot and send me it. This will show me it is something on my side.

Theory #2 - if you log in and cannot switch between desktop mode and mobile mode, then we know it’s something wrong with the game.
    • Peachez wrote:

I attempted to log back into CoW and it brings me to my current game but it is still in mobile mode.
      Did you reach the log in screen as I showed?

If you are going directly to the game in mobile mode you must be following a bookmark. You MUST type callofwar.com into the address bar and log in that way so you don't use the "Browser+mobile" part of your bookmark or remembered link.

Peachez wrote:

I attempted to use an incognito window
      And did you again use a bookmark or remembered link to get directly to your game?

Peachez wrote:

What if you personally Logged into my account and opened my current game?
      I can open your game in either mobile or desktop mode because this "switch" that indicates mobile or desktop is stored as a cookie on your own computer. I will send you a screenshot in a private conversation.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• screen shots well received and duly noted with thanks.

Yes, once I cleared everything and typed in callofwar.com to safari and again on chrome it brought me to the CoW login screen. I input my credentials and the game opened in mobile mode. I even tried a incognito window after clearing the history and data and this still did not work.

I’m an just confused why the desktop mode button doesn’t work and why the desktop mode links I email myself aren’t working either.

I will continue your instructions, if this doesn’t work then maybe create a new account will. I don’t know at this point but thank you for your support.
    • Peachez wrote:

I’m an just confused why the desktop mode button doesn’t work and why the desktop mode links I email myself aren’t working either
      These buttons are not working for everyone, which is why we have given you these alternate instructions. I expect this bug will be resolved once it is determined which browsers and devices are having issues with it and the cause is identified. Unfortunately I am not able to give an estimate of the time that will be required to resolve this issue.

VorlonFCW