Call of War 1.5 round 2!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• cycle9 wrote:

Balhog wrote:

Bombers can no longer go on carriers
      The research tree in CoW 1.5 says that level 4 tac bombers ARE carrier capable.Seems to me 4-6 SQUADRONS of tac bombers is quite a powerful force.
      However with the high cost of manpower to do research and manning,
      unlikely we will see many high level carriers and tac bombers in
      trials limited to 30 days.

Yes, at level 4 a bomber can access the carrier. I've played quite a few games and never had one reach anywhere near 30 days. So I guess we'll never see what 4th level bombers can do on 4th level carriers..
    • I gotta say, I like Ver 1.5. It needs some tweeks here and there, but it is already preferable to 1.0. The one thing I don't like is the added complexity of the upgrading process. Its workable, and can probably be used for strategy separation from the herd, but having multiple levels of aircraft I can attest to is more of a pain than its worth.
      Another aspect that needs looked into or maybe just more time to get used to, is the shortage of manpower. It could be strategy, I didn't start upgrading Ind Comp in time. But the bottle neck is definately manpower. Is it a coincidence that manpower is the only commodity that can only be purchased with gold? I doubt it. But hey, over all, its great. When are you going to put another trial up, cause I don't want to play the old ver anymore...
    • i played this test map. My coalition won the game on day14th, to be honest our win was obvious from day7 or so...

The main problem was not solved by ver1.5. All game is full with inactive and or green/unconpetent player which makes these maps too easy. Map creation is limited to HC members, but nr.of maps per players should have been limited.

Ver 1.5 new building system gives the opportunity to players to form production to their needs! Very nice! If your strategy needs manpower, than you can increase it quite easily! If you use many air units, than increase your rare production! Nice! But you have to plan 2-3 days in advance... so you have to have strategy thinking...

Bunkers. It gives only 45% (60% in core province) defense bonus, which is lower than in prior version and that defense value can reach in 27hours (6+9+12), so log in regulary! This factor made tactic of centrally located nations more hard! Prior they could be offensive ar west and build some fortress on east and guarded by few units. From now this countries are less playable.

Hits are given in every 30 minutes. Again attacking party is in advantage! By collecting effective forces attacking party has good chance to break trough, before the defensive party weak up! Not to mention, till he can reinforce the attacked defensive point! Again: do not sleep, be online always!

New SBDE, nice feature. As far as i understand with that the advantage of well diversificated mega stacks are lowered, which is good, because it can avoide that one stack basic tactic be fruitful. From now you need some ( bit higher nr than the SBDE limit) elit unit and many cheap damage sucker).

Terrain bonuses and different army classes. Nice again! With these adjusting values, there is no universal winning set up of unit types, but you have build your army to fit to your enemy and expected battlefield!

Unit upgardes. It is very expensive feature and so useable only in rare cases.not to mention, that above lvl2 production time is increasing dramatically ( which cannot be balanced by higher lvl baracks). And so after a point nr. Of cities will be the bottleneck ressource by unit generation.

Airforce factory refuelling time is mentined before.

Artillery was very imprtant in ver1.0 and with higher frequnce battles they are even more important!

Naval transport units upgrades are very powerfull! It can happen, that a land unit has more HP on the sea that on land! Moreover the strength ( vs naval units) of lvl3 transportship (available on day 6!) Is similiar to a lvl2 destroyer!!!

Giving much higher off values to air units, than defensive values is again a good change, so patrolling tricks are not so feasable!

Militia. Very short production time of them make this unit to HP increase units, really damagesucker! So upgrading militia is rarely a goodstrategy!
    • Akulla3D wrote:

f118 wrote:

@Akulla3D
      No need to upgrade from lvl1 to lvl2, or from lvl2 to lvl3. skip at least one level.
      No that is not my point but thanks.
      No, it was, your fault. You said upgrade costs are too expensive, and counted, costs insummarize, lvl 1 to 2, lvl2 to 3, lvl 3 to 4, and so on. And i answered you can easiliy minimize upgrade costs by skiping levels.

And gain some advantages for nuild time and travel time skip of highlevel units to the frontlines. Since low level units are already on the frontlie and upgrade time lasts really sooner than recruiting.

No thanks need. You cant even understand answers...
    • Update;
      Two games are within a few days of winning, mostly due to very good coalition mates,
      nothing to do with the faster pace of CoW1.5 builds and recruiting.
      Manpower still in short supply, even tho I skimped on research.
      <Very tempted to spend on researching transports, after reading about their destroyer
      like capabilities. They were even more powerful in the first go-round>

game dayactive playersplaceVPunits
      lost

At this stage, there are about an equal number of live players being eliminated as there are quitting.

(forgive me for inserting a small commentary related to CoW 1.5
      in the midst of all these highly important off-topic posts!)

The post was edited 1 time, last by cycle9: off topic? ().

• Akulla3D wrote:

Butterbear wrote:

I have an idea, bear with me lol.
      Let's say your in a coalition with someone and they go inactive while you two are in the same war, if he goes inactive maybe the ai could hand over manual control of the inactive players troops only.
      Interesting. That is an issue something like that would be nice. Have a nice day.
      That already happens in the game. The AI takes over and they are not going to switch back to peace with the nation(s) you and him are at war with. You still have ROW so you still have that benefit as well.

Here is an idea. Maybe take your time in the beginning days of a map before joining a coalition to see who is who or who is going to go inactive.

It always seems a bit foolish to me that as soon as peeps join a map, they immediately want to start or join a coalition. I for one give it at least 10 days, many times 15 to 20 days before I start or join a coalition. It just depends on the map. Yes, there are critical situations where you need the help and you are left with no other choice. I find though that is more the exception to the rule than the rule itself.

Another thing I find is that many times, the AI fights a whole lot better than the player. Also, if you are in a coalition of 3, 4 or 5 players, how would it be decided who nation gets control?

Just sharing my random thoughts to this idea.

General cdub
    • Akulla3D wrote:

f118 wrote:

@Akulla3D
      No need to upgrade from lvl1 to lvl2, or from lvl2 to lvl3. skip at least one level.
      I don't see the advantage of skipping upgrade levels. You still have to pay for it when you upgrade, don't you? You don't save anything. I've written several posts re: the changes to upgrade system. Both on the first release, my suggestion were ignored, and on the current release. The changes suck, plain and simple. Complexity and cost are way too high. Added enjoyment from the change is null. There may be an Increase in strategy opportunities around upgrading, possibly, but havn'et played it enough. Bottom line, for me, these horrible changes to Upgrading units are unnaccetptable and a game changer.
    • Balhog wrote:

Akulla3D wrote:

f118 wrote:

@Akulla3D
      I don't see the advantage of skipping upgrade levels. You still have to pay for it when you upgrade, don't you? You don't save anything. I've written several posts re: the changes to upgrade system. Both on the first release, my suggestion were ignored, and on the current release. The changes suck, plain and simple. Complexity and cost are way too high. Added enjoyment from the change is null. There may be an Increase in strategy opportunities around upgrading, possibly, but havn'et played it enough. Bottom line, for me, these horrible changes to Upgrading units are unnaccetptable and a game changer.
      I honestly dislike about 90% of everything in COW 1.5, but that's just me
      :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    • I have forgotten to mention the dying mechanism.

If you stack together many units and you win the battle, you loose no units and with countinious reinforcement the heath system gives you many units free of charge... I think this is not fair... but push players to form one big stack (with 1-3 diferent unit type) and run through the map.
    • szinisa wrote:

countinious reinforcement the heath system gives you many units free of charge
      The healing rate is so slow, that the costs of upkeep more than outweigh the added strength of the units. For example:
      Five mot. inf. at 44% condition consume
      300 food, 325 manpower, 75 metal and oil, and 300 cash.
      At day change, the condition will improve to about 50%.
      High costs for such a minimal gain.
    • to be accurate:
      Upkeep fee is 1/20 part of unit genaration cost.
      Healing is 15% of missing HPs.

So 40% goes up to 49%! 9% gain from healing vs 5% upkeep.

Not to mention, the time of generation, not to mention transport time and SBDE, which preffer low health in calculations! And this is an extra and free unit generation!

I usualy do not loose units even in 1.0 version, but it was ridiculios, that i killed my enemy's army with my air-force (20-45 units stacks) without loosing one units.... my land units were just sitting andplaying cards... my airforce became bigger and bigger.... i killed 5 or 6 players
    • szinisa wrote:

I have forgotten to mention the dying mechanism.

If you stack together many units and you win the battle, you loose no units and with countinious reinforcement the heath system gives you many units free of charge... I think this is not fair... but push players to form one big stack (with 1-3 diferent unit type) and run through the map.
      but the damaged units will still deal less damage/have lower strenght? and with max of 15 units (compared to 1.0 where there doesnt seem to be a limit except for individual unit types within the stack) you'll want that stack to deal as much dmg as possible?
      but yeah dying mechanism feels strange
      Teburu

GER/EN Forums
      Conflict of Nations Veteran
      I suck at COW
      idk what else to put here :D
    • szinisa wrote:

to be accurate:
      Upkeep fee is 1/20 part of unit genaration cost.
      Healing is 15% of missing HPs.

So 40% goes up to 49%! 9% gain from healing vs 5% upkeep.

Not to mention, the time of generation, not to mention transport time and SBDE, which preffer low health in calculations! And this is an extra and free unit generation!

I usualy do not loose units even in 1.0 version, but it was ridiculios, that i killed my enemy's army with my air-force (20-45 units stacks) without loosing one units.... my land units were just sitting andplaying cards... my airforce became bigger and bigger.... i killed 5 or 6 players
      but airforce in 1.0 is kinda OP :D
      and even in 1.5, patrol is pretty strong
      Teburu

GER/EN Forums
      Conflict of Nations Veteran
      I suck at COW
      idk what else to put here :D
    • Not sure if this is a bug. I tried to upgrade a tank during a battle and it accepted it, but it seems not to have started. However, it did take my resources as far as I can tell not sure though.

I would think that as long as you are in battle or in a foreign territory you should not be able it initiate an upgrade.

Thanks, look good.
    • Akulla3D wrote:

I would think that as long as you are in battle or in a foreign territory you should not be able it initiate an upgrade.
      I agree just like in 1.0, while in battle, a player can't heal their units with gold. They should not be able to upgrade their units with or without using gold.

I will add however that while upgrading in 1.5, your unit is immobile and can't attack. It will have its defensive strength in case it gets attacked during the upgrade time. With that being said, I don't think that it should be implemented you can't in other players provinces. If someone is foolish enough to upgrade while in hostile territory, then so be it. At the same time, I may be either allied or just helping another player, (have ROW or SM) and want to upgrade a unit. I should be able to do that.

Over all though, I will say that I dislike the whole upgrade system the way it is now in 1.5. Costs are way to high to do that. I have heard the argument as well as the responses.

• Skip upgrades for a few levels
      • we are going to make adjustments in that area

Seems silly to me. My response back to that is why would I want to wast valuable cash on doing research and trying to upgrade my units in the field that have most likely taken damage and have lower health?

Why not just build more units that will be at 100% health.

I played 1.5 and did the research. When I saw the costs escalate so much, the time to build increase so much, I stopped researching and just built at the current level I was at.

A player that I was allied with, (Yugoslavia), did the same thing but stopped at level 2. I watched him from the start and within a day or two, maybe three, he had over 25 Bombers compared to my 10. Yes, 20 of them were level 1 with the rest being level 2. He built minimal ground forces and just kept building Tacs. He did well, placed 2nd in points and total provinces. I was first in both but knowing there was no way I could win solo if he were to join an alliance and that we had worked well together, we decided to bring Egypt in and win it together as a coalition. Not to mention we all were pretty fed up and bored with the game so we wanted take less rewards and end it quicker as a coalition.

Furthermore, I have heard that there are many more people that like it the way 1.5 is compared to 1.0. Reading back through all the posts, I just don't see it. Talking to those that have played it, I don't see it either. Yes, there are a few that like it but when you look at their W/L and stats, I can see why they may like it.

There are many people that play but do not come to the forums. Sheesh, for me, I really did not come to the forums all that much until this whole new super duper, best in the world, most awesome 1.5 upgrade was going to be.

Many things that so many like about Call of War are being taken away. There are many things I do like about 1.5 so don't get me wrong. Teburu that he thinks Air is overpowered. I can tell you they are not. If anything, they are way under powered in the lower levels and you can't afford them at the higher levels. So you have to build a bunch of them. Even so, I lost all of my air with out killing one Division that was stacked with only 12 units. His Health dropped all the way down to 26% for the entire Division without one of his units being destroyed.

Well, I have posted most of these arguments already and seen the responses. Other than the refueling times, (never heard or seen that addressed), I reckon we will just have to see what adjustments they make when the next test maps come out. It is a slippery slope we are walking.

General cdub