Bytro's Tips for Improved Play, a new feature for the World Herald

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bytro's Tips for Improved Play, a new feature for the World Herald

This post might belong more in the Suggestions/Criticisms section. So I will post a link to it, there. But I've created a series of fake guides that I anonymously post in the World Herald in many of my games. Of course, some are deceptive, though some are actually meant to help others. Either way, they've served me well. And it occurs to me, that the format I've been using (with XML) to create my own database of guides, and those guides I've developed already, could be useful as a real implementation in the game.

The idea I had, a while back, was to make it look like an "official" automatic feature that would randomly post guides, occasionally. Of course, my choice of which guide to post was often self-serving (i.e., trying to convince noobs to build level 2 factories so I could capture their cores without having to rebuild factories from scratch), but I tried to make them look like a feature that would make sense to be implemented. And so, I think it ought to be implemented.

Here's a sample (literally, cut and pasted from my files):

Display Spoiler

<title
      name=""
      anonymous=true
      hasBody=true
      note="This is good for encouraging others to put resources into the Marketplace."
      >
      ———— LOTS OF GOOD OFFERS ——— ———— IN THE MARKETPLACE ———–
      </title>
      <post>

BYTRO'S TIPS FOR IMPROVED PLAY #08*

——————————————————————————————

————————— CHECK THEM OUT —————————–

————————————– AND ————————————–

————— MAKE SOME PURCHASES AND SALES —————

*randomly chosen system-generated message

</post>

OK. So, obviously, the extra dashes in the title were carefully developed to try to align the fonts of the posts, but that extra kibble could be replaced by having centered text in the WH, as well as a newline "/n" feature....both of which would be nice for the community, not just for automatic posts.

Using easily-implement XML-formatted data, this example would display like this:

Display Spoiler
      ———— LOTS OF GOOD OFFERS ———
      ———— IN THE MARKETPLACE ———–

BYTRO'S TIPS FOR IMPROVED PLAY #08*

————————— CHECK THEM OUT —————————–

————————————– AND ————————————–

————— MAKE SOME PURCHASES AND SALES —————

*randomly chosen system-generated message

Of course, the random-factor would need to be real (i.e., being random tip #08). And the fact that there'd need to be rules governing how frequently a guide could be posted (e.g., maximum of 2 per day, minimum of 1 per week), and how randomly they are posted (e.g., low-experience guides posted more frequently than high-experience guides would be), would have to be added.

This is a starter idea. And the beauty of it, is that it could have submissions by the community, done right here in the forums. Perhaps even a direct link to random vetted submissions (that are posted here) could be used in the WH. I'm sure there are lots of people that would like to contribute to this. Surely this would be relatively easy to implement. And I'd happily volunteer to contribute to this project, both in formatting and implementing, as well as in actual suggestions content