New Unit Idea

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• As the time period of this game is WW2, there were not any widely used planes for moving units. Even if you could move the men on a plane, their vehicles and heavy equipment would come by ship.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Butterbear wrote:

I think maybe they used gliders, and speaking of new u it's, how about battlecrusiers? :D, I think they would be a great fit, I mean I have lvl 7 cruisers but to me they lack punch if you know what I mean lol
      The battlecruiser / battleship split was more a WWI thing than a WW2 thing. By the 30ies, naval admiralties did not have to make a choice between speed and armor - hence what was sometimes called "fast battleships". The remaining battlecruisers of WW2 were built before the war (there may be a couple US or Japanese exceptions, but the usage was similar to either cruiser or battleship anyway, so…)
    • Heh, battleship production was so slow that ALL battleships were started before the war, many LONG before.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Chimere wrote:

Butterbear wrote:

I think maybe they used gliders, and speaking of new u it's, how about battlecrusiers? :D, I think they would be a great fit, I mean I have lvl 7 cruisers but to me they lack punch if you know what I mean lol
      The battlecruiser / battleship split was more a WWI thing than a WW2 thing. By the 30ies, naval admiralties did not have to make a choice between speed and armor - hence what was sometimes called "fast battleships". The remaining battlecruisers of WW2 were built before the war (there may be a couple US or Japanese exceptions, but the usage was similar to either cruiser or battleship anyway, so…)
      True but I think fast battleships like the Iowa class came later in the war, and you're right about battlecrusiers being not widley used, but wasn't the HMS Hood an admiral class battlecruiser? And the KMS Genisenau had 15" guns for a BC
    • I think the progression of differing levels of battleships covers the difference between battle-cruisers and battleships.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • I find this an interesting idea. Not sure how many would use it and if they would add in a unit "Railroad Train" or if it would be automatic like a Convoy Ship when sending your troops out to sea.

On the flip side though, one of the things that attracted me to Call of War in the beginning is the real time aspect. Many players have to work or other things. I liked that as it was not a game where I had to be on all the time. I could give orders to my troops in the morning and get home from work and they would almost be there.

When I have my grandkids over, I am not on at all except in the morning before they awake or before I go to bed.

When I do have time to sit and play for a few hours, I love the speed events.

Just the same, it is a very interesting idea.

General cdub
    • I believe he was referring to a whole new unit not items already in the game to speed up movement. Infrastructure will only help speed up a unit for the units built in that particular province. It is even more so in 1.5.

On the other hand, just like a transport ship across the ocean that you can upgrade to improve speed and protection for all units, I think that is what his idea was about.

Could be wrong and if so, he can correct me.

Still think it is an interesting game. Whether it works for us in Call of War or if anyone would use it, I really don't know.

General cdub
    • Butterbear wrote:

how about battlecrusiers? :D,

Chimere wrote:

Butterbear wrote:

.... how about battlecrusiers? :D, ....
      For all intents and purposes, the all-powerful "Battleship" of this game covers enough of the subject. We need enough unit types, but there's always the risk of overkill. @VorlonFCW put it right when he said the various levels of the Battleship seem to cover the development of the Battleship/Battlecruiser progression. But for simplicity's sake, we're gonna have to all agree to just call it the Battleship....the biggest and baddest non-nuclear unit of the game!

K.Rokossovski wrote:

Heh, battleship production was so slow that ALL battleships were started before the war, many LONG before.
      This, I did not know. And it does throw a monkey wrench into the idea of building new BB's from scratch, in this game, especially when there are upgrades. Sure, the actual era covered is more like 1931 — 1953, but the progression range of the Battleship unit already seems to span a wider range than that. And if what you say is true, and all Battleships (at least American ones, for example) had their keels laid before December 7th., 1941, then it's odd that we don't just start with a set number of battleships without the ability to make more of them.

Also, the Aircraft carrier was nearly as big of an investment and build, yet America laid keel and built many of them to completion, starting after Pearl Harbor and finishing before war's end. So, it seems that, since the priorities of air superiority at sea superseded the development of new battlecruisers/battleships, this game puts a little too much emphasis on bombardment capabilities just as it places a little bit too much emphasis on nuclear capabilities — after all, it only took two nukes to end WWII. Yet, I've played matches where I've seen dozens of Nukes used by the late-game players....myself even building and using many dozens within single matches....one particular one, even, I had something like 50+ nukes and I fired them all off with beautiful screenshots of their flower-like cluster of rocket paths.

For fun, I'll include a few of my favorite war memories.

I had 52 nukes in this shot as Algeria.

This is my all-time favorite screenshot of 4 years of playing this game.

This is one of the closeups of that nuclear spread.

This particular screenshot is mostly non-nuclear, though I take out a few nukes on the ground with my missile spread. I spent weeks building up for this epic battle....both me and my opponent, in a very huge stalemate. Neither side was willing to risk the M.A.D. policies that created our epic level of forces. He had a super-massive Bomber fleet and countless scores of armored units, while I had hundreds of Rockets and about a 50/50 mix of huge numbers of large offensive army stacks and defensive army stacks with heavily-fortified cities lining the frontier to house those rockets.

Finally, after weeks of dueling and daring diplomacy, I was able to accurately determine my opponent's bedtimes, skillfully gauging his patterns from morning to night. Then, to break the stalemate, I waited until about an hour after I was sure he was asleep, giving up hours and hours of my own precious sleep for a night of absolutely incredible carnage; and I initiated that ultimate first-strike assault. And when the dust cleared, my air power patrolled to show me an updated list of surviving forces and I then let loose a follow-on penultimate strike of equally-devastating destruction. My follow-up ground forces were so overwhelming over his surviving armies and his now-mostly-grounded-and-shattered air force, that I went on to win that match with one of my very best lopsided K/D ratios for a huge empire battle. It was a truly epic war between myself alongside a single ally vs. a coalition of three other very active power players....and we totally skunked them :*D

That was probably my proudest moment in one of the greatest matches I ever fought....and certainly one of the most satisfying and epic wars of my gaming career in Call of War (and I've had hundreds of epic wars....some much bigger even than that one).

Lastly, for this collection, I've included a cool screenshot of the one and only time I ever played the now-defunct 2-player map.
      (Hint: I'm Britain)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Devious Rancor ().

• Greetings Mr. Rancor,

Your screen shots are very nice and impressive. I do have a question for you after reading your comments on each screen shot,

Devious Rancor wrote and I quote……

“I had 52 nukes in this shot as Algeria.”

“This is my all-time favorite screenshot of 4 years of playing this game.”

“This is one of the closeups of that nuclear spread.”

So when did this game play out? Was this in 2015 to early 2016? I only ask as that was before Coalitions and games could take 3 to 6 months in the World Map. In today’s game with coalitions and the lesser VPs required to win, I do not see how anyone could build 15 plus Nukes let alone 52. Last question would be is with all that devastation you are describing, is this due to you starting a newer account? Your current account says you have 0 kills using Nuclear Rockets.

I am also very surprised you needed Nukes in the old 1 vs 1 map. I played that map one time only. Game was over in less than 6 days with me winning it. I was GB and in the end I never played the map again.

Just the same, I love the screen shots.

General cdub
    • By the way, to all of you BC & BB fans, I recommand the outstanding PC game (though ugly) "Rule the Waves 2" You get to design your own ships, and build then, and receive them too late and when they are already obsolete because it takes 4 years to build one :)
    • Devious Rancor wrote:

This is my all-time favorite screenshot of 4 years of playing this game.
      As a follow up to my posts and questions as there has been no response but I have been thinking of these screen shots and battle that supposedly took place.

For one, you state that you have been playing this game for four years yet your current account only shows you playing since 6/24/17. Close enough for good measure, but I do believe Coalitions were in effect at that time as well as the time limit on maps. I will share though that the research levels had not been reduced back in 2017. The Tech Tree had not been lowered until mid to late 2019.

Also, as we can't see the name on the account, (not sure if this was done on purpose or not), but it does show that the account for Algeria was a level 66 and your current account shows you at 65.

On another note, I see you are taking in $11,740 per hour or $275,280 per day, You still have $875K in cash as well. The amount of cash not to mention other resources to research and build that many Nukes not to mention all the other units you have, that there sir still puzzles me.

I am just not seeing how this "epic battle" took place or even got to this "standoff". I am not trying to insult you, only trying to understand. I could be wrong, but to me it is almost like this was staged with other accounts. Throw in the 1 vs 1 map which I believe had a very short time limit, again, I just don't get it and only asking for clarification.

I mean no disrespect,

General cdub