Corona Virus Bonus?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• EZ Dolittle wrote:

in the USA the first thing that runs out is Toilet Paper
      A former co-worker in NASA told me the the main provider of the inner cardboard cylinder of toilet paper rolls is from China. I guess there's a fear that there may be a temporary shortage of such item. Personally, I've been using paper towels. Other people have recommended napkins ... As for the run on water, I have not heard any good reason for such a thing ... ?(
    • Butterbear wrote:

Humanity is a race not mean to last :(
      Pessimistic anyone? God would disagree with you, since He created us to be eternal. But I think I remember you arguing for atheism against a certain player (who shall remain nameless) in several debates in the very distant past on this forum.

BMfox wrote:

Nah, it feeds on pasta, that's why Italy is in huge trouble.
      *does a massive facepalm

Butterbear wrote:

Remember guys, the black plague originated in Italy
      Um, no, it actually originated in the Far East....Mongolia, I believe. It slowly traveled along the Silk Road and when it reached the Europeans, it found the continent knee deep in the mini ice age, thus poor crops, which meant poor diets, which therefore meant that people had weakened immune systems needed to fight off viral infections. Also, poor hygiene of the pagans making up the so-called "Dark Ages", as well as ignorance of proper hygiene even among the more-civilized Christian communities, meant that person-to-person spread of the plague was uber-rampant. Additionally, cats were thought to be witches' familiars, so they weren't kept around in numbers large enough to reduce the population of the plague-carrying rats which were the primary carrier source of the plague in the first place.
    • Devious Rancor wrote:

Um, no, it actually originated in the Far East....Mongolia, I believe. It slowly traveled along the Silk Road and when it reached the Europeans, it found the continent knee deep in the mini ice age, thus poor crops, which meant poor diets, which therefore meant that people had weakened immune systems needed to fight off viral infections. Also, poor hygiene of the pagans making up the so-called "Dark Ages", as well as ignorance of proper hygiene even among the more-civilized Christian communities, meant that person-to-person spread of the plague was uber-rampant. Additionally, cats were thought to be witches' familiars, so they weren't kept around in numbers large enough to reduce the population of the plague-carrying rats which were the primary carrier source of the plague in the first place.
      You are both right.

It originated in either Mongolia or Caucasia, but arived in Europe through Italy because Genua had a colony in Kaffa (in Crimea), which the Mongolian besieged. During the siege, the Mongolians catapulted plague-ridden corpses above the walls, the Genuese got the plague, brought it to Genua and from there it spread to Italy and then from Italy.