Aggressive firing on peaceful troops

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Aggressive firing on peaceful troops

Currently, when you enter "aggressive" fire style (HC feature) for artillery or navy units, they will also fire on troops of neutra/peace nation they happen to pass by, leading to unwanted wars.

I'd like to request a change so troops with aggressive fire style only fire on troops that are currently enemies.
    When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
    - BIG DADDY.
  • This is the intended function currently, and is the implementation of the often requested blockade feature.

To prevent aggressive fire from engaging peaceful countries it is recommended to set your relation with that country to Right of Way, so that they have permission to be within your artillery range.
    War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
    Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
  • I know it is intended; still I argue that it is a bad thing. RoW isn't always an option, especially with AI's (they NEVER seem to agree anymore since they are "elite"), and many cases where you don't want RoW with humans either, let alone have the time for both parties to agree. I've had many, many wars started by this "feature", and zero cases where a backstab invasion was prevented by it.
    When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
    - BIG DADDY.
  • It is about aggressive tactics, not about aggressive people. It is kind of ridiculous that you can't ask your spotters to identify troops before opening fire on them.
    - BIG DADDY.
  • as bad as the current state of 'naval blockade' is,
    the original implementation had ALL ranged units firing on any neutral,
    not just hicommand units set to aggressive. This resulted in dozens
    of unintentional wars and huge naval losses within the first few hours
    after release. It was hilarious!

the simple concept of placing a "Blockade" fire option along side the usual
    'move', 'attack' , ......
    seems to have been far too difficult to implement.
  • K.Rokossovski wrote:

RoW isn't always an option, especially with AI's (they NEVER seem to agree anymore since they are "elite")
    They do not have to agree. Your relation with them is the one that matters because that instructs your units on how to view them. By giving Right of way to them, you give them permission to exist within your range.
    War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• VorlonFCW wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

RoW isn't always an option, especially with AI's (they NEVER seem to agree anymore since they are "elite")
    They do not have to agree. Your relation with them is the one that matters because that instructs your units on how to view them. By giving Right of way to them, you give them permission to exist within your range.
    Clever!! Didn't think of that!
    - BIG DADDY.
  • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Currently, when you enter "aggressive" fire style (HC feature) for artillery or navy units, they will also fire on troops of neutra/peace nation they happen to pass by, leading to unwanted wars.

I'd like to request a change so troops with aggressive fire style only fire on troops that are currently enemies.
    This has been one of the best changes that COW has made. I like the feature as it allows me to set my units that guard my borders to Aggressive so that any unit that crosses the border or tries to land on my shores to be fired upon before they reach my province or troops.

As many have shared with you Rok, you have a few choices.

• Set your units to Hold Fire, Return Fire or Fire at Will. None of these will cause your units to fire on unintended troops.
    • When passing by a nation that has troops in them including AI Countries, change your status to ROW with them so your units will not fire on them.
    • Keep up with how your units are set in Fire Control.
    • If you can't do any of the above things, as a very drastic approach, Never Ever, and I mean Ever, put your units on Aggressive! This way you will never have this problem.

When they first came out with this, it was set to any setting other than hold fire. This was a bad idea and it caused many unwanted wars on both sides. They changed it to only apply to Aggressive Setting which was a Brilliant Idea. Kudos for this change!

General cdub
  • Though I have a vehement anger towards the entire "fire control" ability of High Command, there is a simple fix to the problem of unintended wars, one that is super simple to implement and also amenable to most players.

Just make is that the aggressive setting only applies to "War", "Cease Fire", and "Trade Embargo" relationships. This makes sense, since you might pull the trigger on someone that you can't stand, even if you aren't currently at war with them.

But if you are at sea, you shouldn't have to set your relationship to ALL NPC's (and others) to RoW, which itself takes about 10 minutes to do on a larger map. It's a waste of time and something that I've quit doing ever since the stupid so-called "elite" AI has become the most fragile-minded of all players, copying the behavior of the eggshell generation of kids who have such nonsensical concepts of "microaggressions", and are easily "triggered".

The Elite AI is the real problem here. At least a human player can accept a peace accord when someone accidentally opens fire on them. But, if the devs aren't willing to REPAIR the AI's diplomatic sensibilities, let's at least lower the Aggressive fire control away from "peace" down to "Trade Embargo" and "Cease Fire".

Actually, "Cease Fire" ought not trigger aggressive fire control, either, if you ask me, but I'm trying to be compromising here. And it's simpler to allow the system to group the "Cease Fire" relation with the "Trade Embargo" relation.
  • Devious Rancor wrote:

Though I have a vehement anger towards the entire "fire control" ability of High Command, there is a simple fix to the problem of unintended wars, one that is super simple to implement and also amenable to most players.

Just make is that the aggressive setting only applies to "War", "Cease Fire", and "Trade Embargo" relationships. This makes sense, since you might pull the trigger on someone that you can't stand, even if you aren't currently at war with them.

Mr. Rancor,

As I said in my above post, the fire control does not need to be changed at all. The Aggressive Setting in Fire Control is the best thing they ever did as far as recent changes. It allows me to set my units to this setting to automatically fire on any, (Yes, that means even those I am at peace with) if they approach my Naval Units, Shores or borders.

Your "vehement anger" towards fire control makes no sense to me. If you do not like it and have High Command, here is something that "makes sense" and is "one that is super simple to implement and also amenable to most players". Just keep your setting on Fire At Will and you will not have a problem with accidental wars with other players or the Elite AI. I am not sure I understand why it takes you 10 minutes to change your setting in Fire Control as it only takes me a few seconds.

Furthermore I will beg to differ why this seems to be a problem with a couple of players. I for one have not heard from any others with High Command that they have a problem with this. If someone that uses the Fire Control can't manage their troops in a small or as you put it larger map in regards to Fire Control, then they should not be using Fire Control. I will repeat myself once more of a simple fix for those that use fire control.

• Set your units to Hold Fire, Return Fire or Fire at Will. None of these will cause your units to fire on unintended troops.
    • When passing by a nation that has troops in them including AI Countries, change your status to ROW with them so your units will not fire on them.
    • Keep up with how your units are set in Fire Control.
    • If you can't do any of the above things, as a very drastic approach, Never Ever, and I mean Ever, put your units on Aggressive! This way you will never have this problem.

With all due respect sir,

General cdub
  • Now that you have spent several days hashing this out, today's update will bring changes to the fire control settings. I am just going to close this thread as it will be outdated in just a few hours.

VorlonFCW

• Re: Aggressive firing on peaceful troops

Too bad Vorlon closed the other thread, but I want to thank the developers for implementing this! So much for he criticism about not listening to the community, eh? Keep it up!
    - BIG DADDY.