Paratroopers on Carriers.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Paratroopers on Carriers.

I think that this idea could be a little bit overpowered but would be extremely useful. In my current game I have used paratroopers to capture some provinces, but was struggling to land them behind my enemies troops in order to effectively surround them. At this point I had a carrier and I thought it would be cool if paratroopers could land on a carrier and could be sent out from there. Maybe only a certain level paratroopers would be able to do this, like tac bombers and have to have a certain level carrier.
      :tumbleweed:
    • A paratrooper unit doesn't just represent a few men; I'm not sure of the scale for Call of War, but I would guess it represents a battalion (300 to 800 soldiers). In any event it represents far more than could logically be staged from a carrier - not to mention that aircraft large enough to carry more than a handful of men would be too large and heavy to be launched. Remember we are talking about WWII era - the Doolittle raid was barely possible and far more valuable for morale reasons than tactical. The B-25's used in that raid were stripped down and lightened as much as possible - far from being robust aircraft capable of carrying a platoon or two of paratroopers.
    • BeorntheBold wrote:

A paratrooper unit doesn't just represent a few men; I'm not sure of the scale for Call of War, but I would guess it represents a battalion (300 to 800 soldiers).
      Like most infantry units, the paratrooper unit is a regiment. If you read the unit specs, you will see that it requires 1,300 men at formation, the same as the basic infantry regiment. The exception among the infantry units is the commando unit, which is a nominal battalion at 875 men.

FYI, the basic infantry regiment formerly required 1,500 men, but this was modified during one of the unit balancing revisions in the last 18 months.
    • MadMike69 wrote:

thought I'd made a big enough point that the planes were not capable at the time.
      And they're still not able to use full-size fixed-wing transports on carriers in the year 2020. It would take a mad man to try to land a fully loaded C-130 (let alone a C-5 or C-17) on an aircraft carrier, and taking off fully loaded from a carrier would be impossible.

Of course, the U.S. Marines do VSTOL take-offs and landings from amphibious support carriers every day in their V-22 Ospreys. Of course, at $70 million per copy, not many countries can afford a fleet of Ospreys.
    • Plus, most airborne troops at the time weren't parachute, but glider-carried. In Arnhem's first airborne division landing for example, two combat brigades were parachute, the third and all support troops (artillery, recce, AT, engineers, signals, medical, etc etc) came in gliders.

Now after imagining launching big transport planes from an aircraft carrier (exactly - IMAGINING), extend that image to launching them with a glider behind them...
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.