Specialized Units For Certain Countries

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Specialized Units For Certain Countries

Is this a good idea? 10

The result is only visible to the participants.

Have you noticed that in some maps Brazil is just as powerful as Italy? I have a solution to fix this. Say you pick Japan. There are all the normal units in the Research bar but there is another tab at the top that says "Specialized Units". If you click on this tab you may see a specialized unit. A specialized unit would be a unit that only one country could use. In our scenario, Japan may get a Yamato Class battleship that is more powerful than any other battleship that anybody else has. Or they might get a Kamakaze unit that could attack another unit by crashing into one, like the rocket. Give your feedback below!

Here is the best unit suggestion:

- US
      "Fast Tank Destroyer" - The sluggish TD unit is replaced by the fast Turreted Tank Destroyer. It is faster, a bit better in attack than normal tank destroyer, but same defense and less HP. Also, it has only +25% in open ground.
      "Light Destroyers" - The Fletcher-class was a faster and "light" destroyer that was the workhorse of the US Navy, cheaper and faster than other countries destroyer, it is weaker in naval combat but stronger vs submarines and air.

- Japan
      "Japanese All-terrain Tanks" - The Japanese tanks are significantly less sturdy than those of the other countries Tank (HP = 15) but they are better in all terrains as they don't lose speed in hills / forest where they fight at +25%, and don't lose 50% of their HP in city either (but still fight at -50%)
      Japanese Long-Lance submarines - The Japanese submarines have a longer range than the destroyer, the same attack value... but pathetic defense value. The best way to get rid of them is to attack them in "melee".

- Soviet Union

Katyushah Artillery - Of course the Soviet Union had a lot of traditional long gun, but hey, let's put the most well-known Soviet non-tank unit in here. Trades a 33% shorter range for a bit more mobility and more damage versus unarmored (same damage versus armor).
      Fast submarines : The Soviet submarines were faster than the typical German submarine and very damage resistant (the "price" was limited range, which is not in Call of War). The sonars were also not very good, so the view range of the fast submarine is very limited, hampering it from finding targets.

- Germany

Dual-purpose AA : The German anti-air is second to none and hits like a truck, not only the planes but also infantry and tanks. It is like a whole new units. Also, it is even slower than traditional anti-air (think militia) and more expensive, too !
      Pocket Battleship : German Battleships are REALLY fast - same speed as a cruiser. They are also way less armored than normal battleship. Sadly for them, they also have the Cruiser HP (50 rather than 75) though they keep the Battleship range and punch).

- UK
      Cavalry tank : This light tank is faster, but only in "clear" terrain, where its 50% bonus becomes a 75%. On the other hand it does not hit as hard as other light tanks vs armor, though it is exactly like the rest vs infantry
      King of the sea : The Battleship of UK have more more armor and more punch vs Land & Sea than any one else. Sadly, they are also way pricier, and they don't defend against air as well.

The post was edited 7 times, last by Louisiana Boy James ().

• Yes, that is a great idea but I believe that to make things balanced atomic bomb should be given to all countries for them to research. Special units should not include atomic weapons. If we take away rocket fighters, rockets and atomic bombs from certain countries, this will not be fair for the players playing that.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • Inteeresting. if I am not mistaken, there are 5 "types of countries" :
      - US
      - Japan
      - Soviet Union
      - Germany
      - UK

Rather than have one "new" unit, I would just replacing an existing unit with a different variant, one for sea, one for land.

I don't think we should give any country MORE PLANES because they are powerful enough as they are.

So I would propose :

- US
      "Fast Tank Destroyer" - The sluggish TD unit is replaced by the fast Turreted Tank Destroyer. It is faster, a bit better in attack than normal tank destroyer, but same defense and less HP. Also, it has only +25% in open ground.
      "Light Destroyers" - The Fletcher-class was a faster and "light" destroyer that was the workhorse of the US Navy, cheaper and faster than other countries destroyer, it is weaker in naval combat but stronger vs submarines and air.

- Japan
      "Japanese All-terrain Tanks" - The Japanese tanks are significantly less sturdy than those of the other countries Tank (HP = 15) but they are better in all terrains as they don't lose speed in hills / forest where they fight at +25%, and don't lose 50% of their HP in city either (but still fight at -50%)
      Japanese Long-Lance submarines - The Japanese submarines have a longer range than the destroyer, the same attack value... but pathetic defense value. The best way to get rid of them is to attack them in "melee".

- Soviet Union

Katyushah Artillery - Of course the Soviet Union had a lot of traditional long gun, but hey, let's put the most well-known Soviet non-tank unit in here. Trades a 33% shorter range for a bit more mobility and more damage versus unarmored (same damage versus armor).
      Fast submarines : The Soviet submarines were faster than the typical German submarine and very damage resistant (the "price" was limited range, which is not in Call of War). The sonars were also not very good, so the view range of the fast submarine is very limited, hampering it from finding targets.

- Germany

Dual-purpose AA : The German anti-air is second to none and hits like a truck, not only the planes but also infantry and tanks. It is like a whole new units. Also, it is even slower than traditional anti-air (think militia) and more expensive, too !
      Pocket Battleship : German Battleships are REALLY fast - same speed as a cruiser. They are also way less armored than normal battleship. Sadly for them, they also have the Cruiser HP (50 rather than 75) though they keep the Battleship range and punch).

- UK
      Cavalry tank : This light tank is faster, but only in "clear" terrain, where its 50% bonus becomes a 75%. On the other hand it does not hit as hard as other light tanks vs armor, though it is exactly like the rest vs infantry
      King of the sea : The Battleship of UK have more more armor and more punch vs Land & Sea than any one else. Sadly, they are also way pricier, and they don't defend against air as well.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chimere ().

• Balance. In the game of chess you don't get an advantage through special units based on your ethnicity. Also I can see how people will have preference for certain countries and rush to get them in new games, and games not being filled because all the OP/good countries are taken, putting off others from joining, hence having many unfilled games due to first come first serve being a big winning factor. A better idea is to have historically accurate set up and unit characteristics for each nation, which is a mammoth task on its own even for the few main Allied/Axis nations. Too many variables and factors are involved.
      Forum Gang Sergeant Major

Hanz Gunvor

Ace of Spades - Unit IV Alliance Leader
    • LucasDanny45464334 wrote:

Hanz,

I know that you are more expirenced than me, but I disagree with your statements above.

In chess, you get more advantage due to your background. If you learned early on, you get more advantage. Same with research.
      You misunderstood me, I wasn't talking about the players background, in terms of individual intelligence/capabilities which is different for everyone, I was talking about being given different set of chess pieces based on your background, which is unfair.

Hanz Gunvor

• What you mentioned above would be saying that everybody gets the same amount to start off with, but Call of War already doesn't do that. South Africa always beats Botswana on the World War map. That's because of different troop locations to start off. Egypt gets a navy but Persia doesn't. Switzerland is harder to invade than Denmark because Denmark is flat but Switzerland has mountains. This is because of what country they pick. So, unless you want to change the whole system, then ... ?( ?( ?( ?( ?(
    • In this game we all have access to the same units through research. The geo-economic advantage is the reason why I like this game, because we can win through strategies and alliances (diplomacy). I have won previously playing as New Zealand in the World at War, a nation that is difficult to start with since you start off with fewer troops, lesser research and have very low resource production and only a small number of industrial complexes. Yet despite this I was the second biggest nation in the end of the game, because the advantages that other nations had became my advantages after I took them. Just like in chess if you know what to do, even with less chess pieces you can still win against someone with a full set. Your proposal means that some nations will have special units that only they have and no one else can ever have, hence the disadvantage of this proposal, that I am pointing out. It is well documented that both sides during WW2 utilised captured enemy weapons and vehicles, hence locking it to one nation makes no sense.

Hanz Gunvor

• I actually agree with Hanz. I had fun making up which units would be special within the rule of the game, but I also think that it would not be good for the game :
      - Hard to balance
      - Complicated for users. "That Battheship that attacks me, is it a normal one of a Pocket Battleship"
      - The game has enough depth that it does not need this kind of options
    • maybe more differences in the different doctrines similiar as to CON would be enough? :D

units exclusive to doctrines would just be a shitshow of "x techtree is OP because of that unit"
      Teburu

GER/EN Forums
      Conflict of Nations Veteran
      I suck at COW
      idk what else to put here :D