Tutorial games level cap

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tutorial games level cap

I would like to suggest a max level to join tutorial games.

Tutorial games are designed to give new players a taste of the game, and to learn about game mechanics and tactics.
      Now often higher level players join tutorial maps in order to gain easy wins, but this also takes away the intended fun and learning experience from starting players.

A maximum level cap would prevent this, and give all new players a fair chance when joining Call of War instead of being steamrolled by an experienced player, taking away the fun and thus turning potentially good players away from the game.
    • This has been suggested before, and possibly tried on a trial basis.

There are upsides and downsides to this. Without any experienced players to observe or fear, then new players are content to simply wait. This makes for a very boring game. Winning by default isn’t very exciting.

By having more experienced players to compete against this forces the new players to react, to observe, to ask questions, to learn. Like a young bird you push them out of the nest and force them to fly. Rise to the challenge.

In summary I have always learned something by losing to a more experienced player. I rarely learn much in the slow grind against AI.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • You aren't going to learn anything by being crushed extremly hard? :D
      if they wanna learn against "experienced" players all they have to do is join another gamemode? Ranking up is pretty fast and having some sort of "safe space" for ppl who have 0 clue what exactly they're doing seems like a decent enough idea to me.

And from what i see the "experienced players" tend to use that map just for statfarming anyway ^^
      Teburu

GER/EN Forums
      Conflict of Nations Veteran
      I suck at COW
      idk what else to put here :D
    • Teburu wrote:

You aren't going to learn anything by being crushed extremly hard? :D
      if they wanna learn against "experienced" players all they have to do is join another gamemode? Ranking up is pretty fast and having some sort of "safe space" for ppl who have 0 clue what exactly they're doing seems like a decent enough idea to me.

And from what i see the "experienced players" tend to use that map just for statfarming anyway ^^

Even by being “crushed extremely hard” a new player will learn what is possible in the game, and should strive to learn how to prevent such an occurrence in the future.

Without this experience a player may never realize what is possible. A “safe space” is simply an place to be lazy and unproductive. Many people abandon their tutorial games because “nothing is happening” which indicates to me that they expect someone to attack them and do not see that they need to seize the day in order to advance.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Butterbear wrote:

Im a little ashamed to say I play some tutorial games at lvl65 , but I always try to help the new players even if it means loseing. But I agree on the lvl cap, maybe lvl35-40
      Come on, this is my last game? :) I believe that new players learn vest in tutorial games and tutorial games will go very slowly without higher level players. There should be a limit in the amount of tutorial you can play a month.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • To make decisions like this we try to rely on big data analysis. We actually tried this like 2 years ago and our numbers showed that tutorials without the rank restriction worked better. Of course we could repeat that test at some point to check if something changed, or run it with different criteria. For the near future it stays like it is.
    • freezy wrote:

To make decisions like this we try to rely on big data analysis. We actually tried this like 2 years ago and our numbers showed that tutorials without the rank restriction worked better. Of course we could repeat that test at some point to check if something changed, or run it with different criteria. For the near future it stays like it is.
      It makes thing more exciting.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • FlemishPagan wrote:

I would like to suggest a max level to join tutorial games.

Tutorial games are designed to give new players a taste of the game, and to learn about game mechanics and tactics.
      Now often higher level players join tutorial maps in order to gain easy wins, but this also takes away the intended fun and learning experience from starting players.

A maximum level cap would prevent this, and give all new players a fair chance when joining Call of War instead of being steamrolled by an experienced player, taking away the fun and thus turning potentially good players away from the game.
      Tutorial games are not just for training. They provide a faster paced game. There is no advantage or disadvantage in playing at a different speed. Its a matter of choice. I play both. i would like to see game speed as an option when creating games. And level caps option are already in place when you create a game.