Choosing between "Move" and "Attack"

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Choosing between "Move" and "Attack"

I've been playing a few weeks now and still don't understand the tactical advantage/difference between simply moving to a target location, and selecting a specific stack at that target location, when I can see the stack at that location, when employing non-ranged units.

That is, WHEN should I choose "Attack" instead of "Move"?

I've been using just "Move" so far, simply because I don't know when to use "Attack".

Some tactical advice would be appreciated.
      But words are things, and a small drop of ink,
      Falling like dew, upon a thought, produces
      That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.

- Lord Byron
    • Marching in Place wrote:

WHEN should I choose "Attack" instead of "Move"?

I use the attack mode when using artillery, bombers, rockets, and capital ships to bombard an adversary.

I use move when I advance a unit to take over a province, move to a city or airport, or land in an adversary's island- or a strategic retreat to reassemble unit with reinforcements ... 8)
    • Or you can use attack to take over provinces too! Just make sure that there are no ranged units in the stack or it will only attack within that range and your infantry units will be useless
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

Or you can use attack to take over provinces too! Just make sure that there are no ranged units in the stack or it will only attack within that range and your infantry units will be useless
      Agree. You can always break up a stack and move forward and attack and take over a province with your armor & infantry while your artillery fires on the target province. And there are many choices that you can use to range your artillery- depending on tactical needs (e.g. return fire only, fire at will, aggressive, etc.) ... :thumbup:
    • I do believe that breaking up a stack that has ranged and infantry units does not work before but it works now. That is because when you break it up, the order is still the same for both the infantry and artillery. Attack that city. The system detects it as a mis click and ignores it. I believe that the devs found out that issue and fixed it.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

I do believe that breaking up a stack that has ranged and infantry units does not work before but it works now. That is because when you break it up, the order is still the same for both the infantry and artillery. Attack that city. The system detects it as a mis click and ignores it. I believe that the devs found out that issue and fixed it.
      Differences in the fire control settings will make artillery behave differently.

Artillery given a move order while set on Offensive or Aggressive fire will pause movement of the stack to bombard at range whenever a unit comes into view.

Otherwise without high command you can split a group and give them the same order, and since they are in the same location with the same order they merge again, which sounds like the issue you describe.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<