Paratroopers? Have you used them extensively?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VorlonFCW wrote:

And of course there is this that is easy to overlook:

Freezy wrote:

Keep in mind though that their targeting works like rockets, if their target keeps moving your paratroopers land on empty space.

Which means your paratroopers are stuck in the mud for some number of hours while the enemy has already passed them.
      Ironically, Kosh, that may be the ideal circumstance in many instances. Your paratroopers are safely on the ground, they were not destroyed or severely damaged during the airdrop, and they are now behind enemy lines, waiting for the so-called "cooling off" period to expire. As I presently understand the dynamics of the COW paratroops unit, it can defend itself during this "cooling off" period, but cannot maneuver or attack. Under those circumstances, it can surely serve as a roadblock to the maneuver of enemy units.

And, BTW, the correct military term would be "marshaling" (not "cooling off"), as in to gather up your equipment and separated subunits (or "sticks" in WW2 Allied paratrooper terminology), so that they could maneuver and fight as a cohesive company, regiment or division again.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

that may be the ideal circumstance in many instances. Your paratroopers are safely on the ground, they were not destroyed or severely damaged during the airdrop
      This is true. You just need to be aware that intercepting an enemy high speed unit like an armored car that has made a run past your forces will not have the desired result with a paratrooper in many cases.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

To help simplify the types of game mechanics:

Paratroopers share the same attack options as Atomic bombers, and the same attack mechanics as well.

Both can attack an enemy unit or a enemy province center.

Both are somewhat fragile in that any enemy air defenses at the targeted location has the ability to shoot down the attacker before any damage is done. If the atomic bomber is not shot down on attack, then detonation occurs. If the paratrooper plane is not destroyed on attack the paratrooper appears.

And of course there is this that is easy to overlook:

freezy wrote:

Keep in mind though that their targeting works like rockets, if the enemy keeps moving your paratroopers land on empty space.
      Which means your paratroopers are stuck in the mud for some number of hours while the enemy has already passed them.
      So if a nuke bomber gets damaged on the way, does it reduce its damage output just as for any other unit? It wouldn't really make sense because either you have a detonation or you don't, but in this game you never know...?
    • I knew that paratroopers use same mechanic like Nuclear bomber but I am now confused, If you attack moving unit Nuclear bomber will change route and hit target, but paratroopers will not, or I misunderstood ?
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • There were changes to the Nuclear Bomber at the same time Paratroopers were introduced,so they may not track moving units now. I would have to test that and see. Unfortunately it is difficult to verify as the crater will obscure the evidence.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• Okay, back to to the paratroopers unit, and another mechanical question for you experts.

I have produced my first L2 Paratrooper unit, and I have been manipulating it as an aircraft unit, and it tracks the air base chain I built for my L3 Interceptor units very nicely, given their similar ranges. And I have also played with it as an aircraft truck convoy. All of this seems easy and consistent with the usage of other units.

Someone (I believe it was Vorlon and/or Freezy) mentioned above that the unit's targeting is based on that of the COW rocket units. As an aircraft unit, I also note that it has no "patrol" function, so there is no loitering while looking for a safe air drop location? Also, like the targeting for our rocket units, once the "attack" button is engaged and an airdrop target location (province center or enemy unit, as confirmed above) is designated, does that mean there is no recall, and the paratrooper unit will proceed to its designated "attack" airdrop location and no other commands can be issued?
    • (I'm not up there with you fine gentlemen, but i'll try my best to help. Here goes nothing)
      So think yes once you click the attack button no other commands can be used. I mean once they jump out they can't get back in. So yes I do think that It IS the same as rockets.
      May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t. George S. Patton
      Forum Gang Sergeant
      8)
    • You can recall them, I did it several times.
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

NoobNoobTrain wrote:

So if a nuke bomber gets damaged on the way, does it reduce its damage output just as for any other unit?
      No, sir. Nukes either go boom or they do not. There is no partial damage based on the atomic bomber or nuclear rocket's condition. It's either Big Boom or No Boom.
      I have to doubt that though. I know it doesnt make much sense but the way the game engine works is that it takes the unit's damage values, and those are reduced if the unit lost health. Normally you rarely notice that because even reduced damage is usually enough to kill the armies in the region.
      Nuclear Bombers can still be re-rerouted after you ordered their attack, just like Paratroopers.

MontanaBB wrote:

Okay, back to to the paratroopers unit, and another mechanical question for you experts.

I have produced my first L2 Paratrooper unit, and I have been manipulating it as an aircraft unit, and it tracks the air base chain I built for my L3 Interceptor units very nicely, given their similar ranges. And I have also played with it as an aircraft truck convoy. All of this seems easy and consistent with the usage of other units.

Someone (I believe it was Vorlon and/or Freezy) mentioned above that the unit's targeting is based on that of the COW rocket units. As an aircraft unit, I also note that it has no "patrol" function, so there is no loitering while looking for a safe air drop location? Also, like the targeting for our rocket units, once the "attack" button is engaged and an airdrop target location (province center or enemy unit, as confirmed above) is designated, does that mean there is no recall, and the paratrooper unit will proceed to its designated "attack" airdrop location and no other commands can be issued?
      ok maybe "they behave like rockets" was a bit too simple. I only meant the part about them not tracking their target. So when you give your attack command but the enemy is moving, then your paras will most likely drop behind them on the empty road. But in contrast to rockets paratroopers can still be re-rerouted after the attack command was given to them. So you could decide to fly back shortly before you arrive, or you could refresh your attack command on an enemy unit that is moving if you don't want to drop behind it.
    • I think that one and only unit that can not be recalled is rocket
    • freezy wrote:

But in contrast to rockets paratroopers can still be re-rerouted after the attack command was given to them. So you could decide to fly back shortly before you arrive, or you could refresh your attack command on an enemy unit that is moving if you don't want to drop behind it.
      Perfect. These are exactly the kinds of answers for which I'm looking, freezy.

So, my next question follows from your last answer . . . If I hit the big "X" stop button in the pop-up unit command dialog box, after I have given my paratrooper unit its "attack" command, will it simply return to its starting airbase like any other aircraft unit? If I can re-target its airdrop location, do I also have an effective recall function for this unit while it's in flight to a designated target?

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• MontanaBB wrote:

Perfect. These are exactly the kinds of answers for which I'm looking, freezy.
      So, my next question follows from your last answer . . . If I hit the big "X" stop button in the pop-up unit command dialog box, after I have given my paratrooper unit its "attack" command, will it simply return to its starting airbase like any other aircraft unit? If I can re-target its airdrop location, do I also have an effective recall function for this unit while it's in flight to a designated target?
      Yes you have a stop button, when using it they will fly back to their air base.
    • Okay, all you airborne experts . . . I make my first paratrooper attacks in about 11 hours as part of a much larger amphibious invasion. I'm using four L2 paratrooper regiments. I'm dropping the first two regiments in unoccupied coastal provinces to secure the beachheads for the incoming amphibious landings, and then the third and fourth regiments, together, on top of an L1 armored car brigade in a coastal city. I figured that third target would provide a lightly contested airdrop, since the enemy armored car brigade will be at 50% strength in the urban terrain, plus AC units have horrible AA defense values.

Any last bits and pieces of advice for the airborne rookie commander?
    • TylerFire23 wrote:

(I'm not up there with you fine gentlemen, but i'll try my best to help. Here goes nothing)
      So think yes once you click the attack button no other commands can be used. I mean once they jump out they can't get back in. So yes I do think that It IS the same as rockets.
      You are half right. :)

once the paratrooper has dropped out of the plane there is no method to return them to plane form.

But as others have said, during the flight time from the airbase to the target location you can change their orders.

VorlonFCW