Paratroopers? Have you used them extensively?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• NoobNoobTrain wrote:

I suppose you could drop them on friendly territory if you give an attack order.
      Someone can tell for sure.
      Normally, you can't give an "attack" order for your own territory (unless you're attacking an enemy unit on your territory), and any time you attack a friendly territory, you risk turning an ally or neutral into an enemy.

That said, I have no idea how the new unit is programmed. In fact, that's why I'm asking. I just started L1 Paratrooper research two hours ago, and I'll still need to add an L3 airbase to my capital before I can produce a unit. Probably be 2 or 3 days before I can produce one.
    • You can only drop them in province centers (attack them) ..

.. so you can either fly to friendly province centers like a plane (or drive as a convoy, if not within flight range) or attack friendly centers (undeclared war) ..

.. but of course you cannot attack your own province centers -- how do you want to conquer something what already belongs to you ..? :00008185:

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Restrisiko wrote:

You can only drop them in province centers (attack them) ..

.. so you can either fly to friendly province centers like a plane (or drive as a convoy, if not within flight range) or attack friendly centers (undeclared war) ..

.. but of course you cannot attack your own province centers -- how do you want to conquer something what already belongs to you ..? :00008185:
      Did you actually try?
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

Restrisiko wrote:

You can only drop them in province centers (attack them) ..

Did you actually try?
      paratroopers can only be dropped via attacking. So they can be dropped on a enemy unit or province, you cannot attack your own province like Restrisiko said.
      Dante Bugler1
      Game Operator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • Dante Bugler1 wrote:

So they can be dropped on a enemy unit or province
      Does this mean the paratroops unit can be dropped on an enemy unit that is not located in the city center?

Apart from the ability to do this, is this wise? I assume that when the unit is in the process of completing its airdrop that it is in its fragile aircraft class condition, with reduced hit points (5) and virtually no attack or defense values. Dropping a paratroops unit on top of any enemy unit with any AA or defense values sounds like a suicide mission.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Dante Bugler1 wrote:

So they can be dropped on a enemy unit or province
      Does this mean the paratroops unit can be dropped on an enemy unit that is not located in the city center?
      Apart from the ability to do this, is this wise? I assume that when the unit is in the process of completing its airdrop that it is in its fragile aircraft class condition, with reduced hit points (5) and virtually no attack or defense values. Dropping a paratroops unit on top of any enemy unit with any AA or defense values sounds like a suicide mission.
      Post 15:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

No, never had any landing damage. Though it was shot down by enemy air defense once, don't remember if it was AA or fighters.
      You can only drop them on province centers.

and ..

......................>> forum.callofwar.com/index.php?thread/26496-guide-to-paratroopers <<

The post was edited 2 times, last by Restrisiko ().

• MontanaBB wrote:

Restrisiko wrote:

.. but of course you cannot attack your own province centers -- how do you want to conquer something what already belongs to you ..?
      Yes, mein herr, I do get the COW logic of "attack," but that is unfortunate in this context. That means I can't use paratroops as emergency reinforcements to be dropped into friendly territory.
      .. they're unsuitable as an emergency reinforcement anyway, since even Level 3 has a cooldown warmup of 10 hours

• Yes, and I just wanted to help. :00008185:

.. "So they can be dropped on a enemy unit or province" means that, like other units, can either attack the province center or the troops inside it. But logically, it wouldn't make much sense to drop paras directly over enemy troops.
      Similarly, even in reality, it would not be very wise to drop paras as emergency reinforcements in the middle of a battle ..

.............................. except perhaps for Japanese paras ............... .............
      ....................................................... ..... ...... ........

PS: But there can be always also unannounced changes, I will probably test it myself again in the near future.
      :whistling:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Restrisiko: PS ().

• MontanaBB wrote:

Yes, Restrisiko, I saw what Roko wrote earlier. Bugler's advice seemed to contradict that. That's why I questioned it. My reading comprehension is excellent, but it would not be the first time in my life when I received mutually contradictory advice. LOL
      You can drop Paratroopers onto enemy provinces or you can drop them onto enemy units. The enemy units don't need to be in the province center for that, they can also be in the middle of the path. Keep in mind though that their targeting works like rockets, if the enemy keeps moving your paratroopers land on empty space. So you should refresh your attack command shortly before you arrive. Yes you can use Paratroopers as reinforcements in such situations.

When dropping they can receive anti air damage before converting, which could reduce their effectiveness afterwards. But after they dropped they are in their Infantry combat form and fight with ground combat values. After the fight is over they will start their mobilization process, during which they can not move, but only defend.
      This means that they can be used to clear out weaker city garrisons or to attack support units like artilleries successfully.

One use case is also to use them for grounding enemy airplanes. If the enemy overextends and relies only on a few airbases in his assault, you can use paratroopers to snipe his airbases. Useful if the enemy airforce is too strong to overcome otherwise.
      There is a Youtuber called Skybadger who does some CoW let's plays, he used Paratroopers in such occasions. Several of his latest videos feature them if you check him out now. One example is this video, which shows both sides using Paratroopers in their offensive.
    • Oh - .. ashamed to have spread fake news

• Thanks, @freezy. This is exactly the kind of collective knowledge and wisdom I was hoping for in this thread. And I hope players who have actually used the "new" paratroop unit will continue to chime in here with comments, advice and opinions. That was the goal, perhaps even to dispel some misinformation in general circulation.

As you may recall, I was a strong advocate for the creation of this unit, and now I really want to see how it's worked out so far. I will finally start to get playing with it in the next 72 hours, and then I will have more questions, no doubt.
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

I'm surprised that there can have been any objections to having this unit in the game. It's so very much a WW2-thing.
      Very true; the main objection wasn't against paratroopers, but with their ability to conquer entire provinces. Most provinces are AT LEAST 50x50km or more, and paratroopers of the era never occupied those huge patches of land; they would focus on key strategic objectives, like bridges or hills, dig in there on a (very) small area, and wait for relief troops to come. Their role would be "advance-enhancers" for OTHER troops (either land attack or seaborne), not conquest troops of themselves, as they are implemented now.

No, and I don't want to start that discussion again, they're here now so hey.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • To help simplify the types of game mechanics:

Paratroopers share the same attack options as Atomic bombers, and the same attack mechanics as well.

Both can attack an enemy unit or a enemy province center.

Both are somewhat fragile in that any enemy air defenses at the targeted location has the ability to shoot down the attacker before any damage is done. If the atomic bomber is not shot down on attack, then detonation occurs. If the paratrooper plane is not destroyed on attack the paratrooper appears.

And of course there is this that is easy to overlook:

freezy wrote:

Keep in mind though that their targeting works like rockets, if the enemy keeps moving your paratroopers land on empty space.
      Which means your paratroopers are stuck in the mud for some number of hours while the enemy has already passed them.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<