Why is Artillery Damage so Inconsistent?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why is Artillery Damage so Inconsistent?

I use artillery a lot, and an issue I have seen time and time again is that the damage is rarely what you'd expect it to be. I should preface this by saying that I do understand that SDBE, terrain, different damage on offense and defense/against different unit types all play a role in this.

I'll pull an example from a recent game of mine. I was attacking Greater Finland and among a few fronts there were several conflicts. In one, I have two level 3 Artillery, both at 100% condition and by extension sbde. They're in a forest/hills province so no reduction to damage from terrain. They fire at an advancing stack of two AA units and one infantry, all at full condition. After firing 3 times as the enemy advances, the infantry loses 10 health and the AA units lose 2.5 health each, for a total of 15. As each artillery does 2.5 damage to infantry class units and has attacked 3 times, all is going as expected.

On a different front, I have a stack of 10 artillery at 99% of max health. The SBDE is 92% and they're in a hills province, so only 92% total damage reduction. With each unit able to do 2.5 damage per attack that's an expected 23 damage (against infantry type) per bombardment. A stack of 1 single infantry unit appears with max condition (15 hit points) and they are soon able to fire at it. After firing twice, it has only lost 6 hit points, as opposed to the expected 46. The infantry unit was moving into a province that I had captured a few hours before, so there was no home defense bonus available as far as my knowledge of game mechanics goes, and there was no fortress either to mess up my numbers.

These inconsistencies are something I've seen before in multiple games, so I figured I would take it to the forum to see if anyone has seen this before or has knowledge as to why it happens.
    • In every battle there is an X-factor that means an attack might do from zero to 100 percent of the listed damage. This is in addition to the effects of terrain, forts, and home defense.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<