Deceptive units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Deceptive units

I suggest the developers add a feature that makes it possible to somehow create deceptive units that do not actually exist but serve only to confuse the enemy.

This was actually done in the real world during WW2. Most famously, an elaborate setup of mock-up tanks and equipment, some inflatable, others cobbled together from logs and plywood and even bedsheets, all painted realistically, was created in SouthEast England during the lead-up to D-day. The famous General Patton was placed in charge of the non-existent army group, and false coded radio traffic was sent to simulate the signals of an actual army. There are no well-published records documenting how successful this particular deception was, but that the Germans WERE deceived about the Allies D-Day plans is undeniable. Hitler kept high value troops tied up waiting to defend Calais from an attack that never came for weeks after D-day, and Patton's non-existent first army group probably contributed to his confusion.

After D-day deceptions continued. The U.S. army created special units of halftracks equipped with huge speakers to simulate the noise of a non-existent armored column. Records show these were actually used, though there is little published information indicating whether the Gemans were fooled.

Earlier in the war Rommel had small groups of low value vehicles drag weights around to kick up dust clouds simulating those that always marked the movement of real armored columns.

Naval vessels were usually equipped with smoke generating equipment, and sometimes this was used by small groups to simulate the smoke trails of larger forces.

How would this work in the game? Well, I don't want to restrict the developers imaginations, I primarily just want to get the idea out there. But maybe you could research the ability to create relatively cheap deception units, which could simulate a much more expensive unit or group of units. Or perhaps this would be a new sort of espionage mission. A distinction might be made between mobile deception units or static ones. Deception units would be revealed as what they are if a ground units gets close enough, perhaps within half or even one quarter of the unit's normal view range. This sort of thing seems particularly effective vs aircraft, so aircraft probably wouldn't get an automatic reveal at all regardless of range. Any melee or bombing attack would reveal the deception, ranged attacks might or might not.
    • Yeah this seems like a great idea, though it would also have to be taken into account that it should not be easy to spam build this unit. Would be very annoying otherwise.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

Yeah this seems like a great idea, though it would also have to be taken into account that it should not be easy to spam build this unit. Would be very annoying otherwise.
      Yes, it will be annoying and sometimes hard to finish it
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

Yes, it will be annoying and sometimes hard to finish it
      My problem was more a spam of these units. Say someone has 50 units and builds 10 of these units. That is 1/5 of their army that they can trick the enemy into is believing in a certain location. In reality it was only a few units (I can't remember, but at max it was enough to trick the Germans that they were landing at Calais (mind you, this is the Americans combined with the *entire* British empire, which includes places like Australia and Canda, quite the significant force)) but it still only represented a small portion of the entire army considering units at this time were also engaged in fighting in Italy as well as across much of Asia, inclcuding Burma etc. if my timeframe is right.

A good TL;DR is that while I think it is a good idea, I think it either needs a long build time, which makes it unlikely to even be used, or a high unit cost, which will also cause it to not be used. I love the idea but all I can picture in my head is the cancerous spam. It would be enough to make any player quit lol.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: