Regular speed events

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Regular speed events

No. 3 Regular speed events or “Please stay stable servers, please”

Tobias Axenbeck, Technical Director and handling all our infrastructure in 2015

“Once a year at our Bytro christmas party we have a ritual we stick to no matter what.

We play internal speed rounds within one of our games. But not the ones you know with 2x, 4x or 8x speed, but rather 250x speed with teams of 5. Two persons manage one nation and the other team members run around the office and do diplomacy. It is nearly like a full blown roleplaying event with alliances and betrayals. It is a lot of fun and actually quite exhausting, luckily after 2 hours we normally have a winner. What we all agree on: We love speed rounds!

Nevertheless, speed rounds on a regular basis, even with smaller speed factors, were always a challenge for us.

First of all, they totally change the balancing and not everybody is made for coping with the speed of it. So getting their balancing to work is a long process with many iterations and still many people remain who prefer the game to be rather slow and steady. It can be really enjoyable to only login twice a day.

Secondly, we hesitated to implement speed rounds in the game, due to our experiences with server stability during our office speed rounds. We definitely wanted players to have a similar fun experience like we had during those Bytronian christmas speed rounds, but those Bytro events frequently killed our office servers, an experience we clearly wanted to avoid our players from having.

Thirdly, extremely high speeds also create quite a few bugs during the gameplay, because some mechanics and checks are not meant to be triggered every second.

Still, 3 things were clear for us:
      • We want to be able to offer you speed rounds on a regular basis
      • We want that all the normal game rounds do not suffer from this
      • We want those speed rounds to be enjoyable and bug-free
      Back then speed rounds were a special off-track topic for us so it took us a long time to really be able to let them run on a bigger scale. During that time, whenever we ran speed rounds, we constantly, and I mean 24/7, had to monitor everything. And that at the time before we had automatic alarms being sent to our mobile phones to wake us in the middle of the night. (Ahh thinking about it, I miss those days…)

Today we run speed maps every day and even the ones with higher speed pretty regularly. And we already know what we need to do in order to allow even higher speeds in our games.

So perhaps one day you might be able to also enjoy the ludicrous speed rounds we play internally once a year. But until then we are still proud today that speed maps finally have a place in our games - especially in Call of War.”
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • Never knew you guys were crazy with 250 times speed. ;) 2 people should be on a different computer!!! Sounds like fun! I have friend that are programmers also have to be on call and wake up in the middle of the night when there is an issue.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • freezy wrote:

Killer8282 wrote:

Can you make this available to players?
      Well not right now sadly due to all the problems mentioned in the news. But also mentioned in the last sentence of the news: We hope to be able to do that one day, when all the issues have been resolved.
      But sometimes you need to do stuff very quick so it is actually good to have a friend sit next to you and have 2 operate one country.
      BeaveRyan

• 250x speed? A day is only 345.6 seconds and 2 hours is about 21 days, it might as well be Real-time Tactics.

By the way, this maybe more philosophical than it needs to be, but I always wondered if the 4x-10x speed rounds can be branded a new sub-genre in strategy game, so there's normal CoW rounds that's basically an idle game and take several days and many sessions to complete. Then there's RTT games where you can complete in a single session, ranging from minutes to few hours. But what about 4x-10x CoW speed rounds? They generally require more than a single session, and may last up to 14 days. But micromanaging is also important in these kinds of rounds, and it even conflict with your needs of sleep and other necessities.

Should they qualify as a new sub-genre? I find them akin to an uncanny valley in terms of game speed.
    • Arcorian wrote:

And that at the time before we had automatic alarms being sent to our mobile phones to wake us in the middle of the night. (Ahh thinking about it, I miss those days…)
      Sounds like a usual Tuesday night for me due to CoW... I'm not addicted tho :D

Hope one day we are able to play this insane sounding game, a game start - finish in 2h sounds amazing! Hope the issues with it get solved :)
      Torpedo28000
      Main Administrator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • Torpedo28000 wrote:

Arcorian wrote:

And that at the time before we had automatic alarms being sent to our mobile phones to wake us in the middle of the night. (Ahh thinking about it, I miss those days…)
      Sounds like a usual Tuesday night for me due to CoW... I'm not addicted tho :D
      Hope one day we are able to play this insane sounding game, a game start - finish in 2h sounds amazing! Hope the issues with it get solved :)
      We have to stay for the whole time !!!!!
      BeaveRyan

• Wow, this would be super fun, but also devastating if the servers crashed in the middle.

Also I think it would require a dedicated start time scheduled (a few hours or even up to a day in advance) as opposed to "starts when full" so players can join a game knowing when it will start so they can prepare themselves for a multiple hour s***show.

Hoping this will be playable in the future :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    • Ahahaha, what a relive on such an old thread. I remember the staff saying that they used to play on x100 or something every christmas. They will have 2 of them operating each player :) I can imagine how buggy that would be
      BeaveRyan