The Combat System

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Combat System

I've been playing Call of War for a few years and I still have not come to an understanding of the combat system I know that Attacking is what the unit attacks to the opposing unit but what is "Defending" for I honestly don't understand the system and I would like someone to teach me how this works - I've checked the manual it doesn't help.
      Thanks in advance!
      -Sincerely Derek
    • ((INCORRECT AND/OR INACCURATE))

Defending is used for the unit that was stationary when combat began.

Since at least one of the two units must be moving for combat to begin, at least one unit must be the attacker.

If both units are moving when combat begins, both units will use the 'Attacking' statistic.

(At least, this is how it was explained to me.)

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

JT
      Jacques Thomas
      Game Operator
      EN Community Support
      Bytro Labs | Call of War

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jacques Thomas: Minor corrections, grammatical cleaning, added courtesies ().

• (This is partially incorrect, look at the post by Vorlon FCW for further detail and or better Info.)

This is correct. Each unit has a certain moral. When you are attacking a unit that is stagnant while you are moving towards it then you are an attacker. Therefore you will attack the enemy unit’s moral or HP with the attacking feature. You will attack the HP with 1.3 infantry in your case, if they had an opposing unit that is the same then they would do 2.2 damage to your unit when attacked. This applies for individual units a duo just add it up for larger stacks. Same system goes for aircraft and ships. Ive been playing bytro games for years so this is the General system, good luck!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Axis 12 ().

• Ok so there are some wrong or incomplete answers above. I am not going to try and pick the truth and fiction apart above.

I already posted this elsewhere today, i'll just copy it here:

First I need to make sure you understand there are two things at work here:

Each unit can actively attack once per game hour on any target within their range. (game hour is affected by speed factors)

Each unit will defend themselves from each attack using their defense stats. The easiest way to consider this is they return fire every single time they are fired upon using their defense stats. This can occur an unlimited amount of times per hour in addition to the active attack.

In many situations a passive defense is desirable as the defending stats may be stronger than the attacking stats for a particular engagement, or due to the number of groups involved. Regarding ground battles of this type the calculation of both the attack and return fire occurs first (based on current values) and then the damage is applied to both sides at the same time. (Notably different is standard air combat where air defenses are calculated first damaging or destroying the attacking plane before the attacking value of the plane is calculated)

Perhaps a summary like this will make sense to you:

Attack is an action that is permitted once per game hour per unit/group

Defend is a reaction. Every single time that a unit is attacked it returns fire using the defending line of their statistics.

So now that you understand what attacking and defending is, we can explore which one is which. This is actually a trick question to see if you really understand, because every unit can be the attacker, and every unit WILL BE a defender against any attacker.

The key point to all of this is:

Defending is the response to every attack.

So with that in mind, lets look at what triggers an attack:

1) Moving units will attack enemy units that they encounter
      2) Moving units will attack province centers that they encounter.
      3) A change in orders, such as clicking stop or forced march will cause a unit to attack targets within the 5k close combat range
      4) Issuing a new move order will also cause a unit to attack targets within the 5k close combat range
      5) A use of the "attack" button will cause an attack.

And one last tidbit: Being attacked does not prevent a unit from ALSO attacking, either the unit that attacked them or any unit within range. A unit is also free to change their target during the engagement.

Happy hunting.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Jacques Thomas wrote:

Aye, then it was explained to me incorrectly. I'll modify my post.
      It is one of those things that is simple and yet complex at the same time. Most of what you wrote is correct- to a point.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<