SBDE Question with Example

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SBDE Question with Example

Just a quick question by example:

Assumptions: Max Efficiency for Infantry = 8

I have 16 infantry units prepared to defend. However, I would like to maximize efficiency in this defense.

If I separate the stack into two groups of 8 and allow combat to begin with the first stack and, after combat begins, move the second stack forward to join combat, will I keep 100% efficiency with two stacks of 8 or will those two groups merge when the second stack arrives, thus damaging their efficiency rating?

BONUS:

Since the first stack was stationary and is considered the defender, I assume when the second stack arrives, if the stacks do not combine, then the second stack will be considered an attacker. However, if the stacks do combine, when this combination occurs, will the added units convert to additional defenders?

Thanks in advance,

JT
      Jacques Thomas
      Game Operator
      EN Community Support
      Bytro Labs | Call of War
    • First I need to make sure you understand there are two things at work here:

Each unit can actively attack once per game hour on any target within their range. (game hour is affected by speed factors)

Each unit will defend themselves from each attack using their defense stats. The easiest way to consider this is they return fire every single time they are fired upon using their defense stats. This can occur an unlimited amount of times per hour in addition to the active attack.

In many situations a passive defense is desirable as the defending stats may be stronger than the attacking stats for a particular engagement, or due to the number of groups involved. Regarding ground battles of this type the calculation of both the attack and return fire occurs first (based on current values) and then the damage is applied to both sides at the same time. (Notably different is standard air combat where air defenses are calculated first damaging or destroying the attacking plane before the attacking value of the plane is calculated)

Jacques Thomas wrote:

will those two groups merge when the second stack arrives
      The way it should work and usually works: When two groups reach the same endpoint with no further orders, they will merge. Exceptions to that occur when the moving group jumps the gun and attacks while it is still too far away from the other group to merge. ( Here is the simple rule: If you need a stack to merge, it probably will not. If you need a stack to stay separate, it will probably merge. :D )

Jacques Thomas wrote:

the stacks do combine, when this combination occurs, will the added units convert to additional defenders?
      I have seen reinforcements merge seamlessly with defending units and they continue to passively defend themselves. The more likely result is that the entire new stack will also attack the invading enemy. In that situation the enemy would attack once per game hour and your 16 stack would defend, and your 16 stack would attack once per game hour and the enemy would defend. In the scenario you described I expect the absolute worst result possible.

What you should do is start with this:

Jacques Thomas wrote:

If I separate the stack into two groups of 8 and allow combat to begin with the first stack and, after combat begins,
      Then move your second stack through the battle to a point past the enemy. This will have your stacks with a different endpoint and they will not merge. Your original stack will remain passively defending and your second stack will actively attack the enemy separately.

Alternately you could try something clever with splitting your groups at the fort with the second group preparing to move back but set a delay for a large amount of time, thus it will be a separate stack within the fort, but as the delay is set it is not actively moving or actively attacking.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<