Fix broken food economy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Fix broken food economy

My apologies if this has already been addressed. I havent really been following the 1.5 stuff, but, anyway . . .

In the regular game, the food economy has been broken since the beginning. The recent decision to use food as payment for research has now compounded this problem.

The problem is basically in any game that goes past 10 turns or so, infantry become unusable. Any player with some success is going to take on territory adding to food expenses, leaving fewer and fewer food resources for units, especially infantry units, and in fact players are forced to deactivate all barracks.

So, there is never infantry in mid or late game. Not a big deal to most people I'm sure, as players just use other types of units. But, it would be nice to continue using infantry is some circumstances. Infantry should play a role for balance throughout the game, not just in the first few turns. In a current game I'm playing for instance my opponent has massive numbers of anti tank. This would be a great opportunity for infantry units, but it is impossible to build them.

Some suggestions:
      1. Roll back the decision to use food as research payment. Money and rare materials, is far more logical as research costs.
      2. Reduce the food upkeep for barracks
      3. Reduce the food use of provinces--my logic here is that captured provinces should be better able to feed themselves.
    • dirge wrote:

The problem is basically in any game that goes past 10 turns or so, infantry become unusable. Any player with some success is going to take on territory adding to food expenses, leaving fewer and fewer food resources for units, especially infantry units, and in fact players are forced to deactivate all barracks.

So, there is never infantry in mid or late game. Not a big deal to most people I'm sure, as players just use other types of units. But, it would be nice to continue using infantry is some circumstances.
      100% true.
      Let me add that as good as every game goes past 10 turns.
      And let me also add that a good player also doesn't build infantry in early game, because he already thinks about mid and late game.
      Finally let me add it's the same issue for militia, motorized and mechanized infantry; in a way more or less also for paratroopers.
      So all in all, you may well conclude that a good player almost never builds one of the four infantry units... which in reality played the dominant role on WW2 battlefields.
      And yes, that's an unbearable discrepancy.

However, I think your three suggestions to fix this aren't ideal.
      1. (money instead of food for researching) and 3. (reduction of food costs for province upkeep): Would increase the overall amount of food avaliable for unit production/upkeep. Wouldn't be positive, because resources are balanced well at the moment - food is a limiting factor to same extent as steel, goods, oil and rares... and that's just perfect the way it is.
      2. (reduction of food consumption of barracks): This would primarily buff motorized and mechanized infantry. While in my opinion, regular infantry deserves a buff even more.

Please check my alternative proposal: --> link <--.
    • dirge wrote:

"In the regular game, the food economy has been broken since the beginning."
      If you believe this, it just means you haven't mastered the economic side of the game.

dirge wrote:

The recent decision to use food as payment for research has now compounded this problem.
      The only problem with changing to Food for research was having to figure out how to adjust the economy.

BTW, I do not make infantry in the early game because there are already enough to work with. Infantry defense is 150% of its attack value so at the start every player's army has a defensive advantage. The initial priority against good players (and generally) is to balance the army's troop composition with offensive units.
    • Correct about what? I don't agree that Food economy is broken. It is more like a math problem that you haven't solved yet.

The infantry is a side issue but yes, it become less important as the game progresses. This is because they are most effective as defensive units. The object of the game is to take the opponent's points. This usually requires destroying the opposing army. Offensive units are needed to make this possible so that's what I produce mostly. Infantry still have an important place on the battlefield but starting armies have plenty. Generally don't need to make more if those don't die.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nooberium ().

• dirge wrote:

Roll back the decision to use food as research payment.
      Really I do sympathize with your problem. It took me a while to figure out how to adjust. But regardless of what is most logical, Bytro just isn't going to do as you suggest. If you don't want to continue as you are, will need to adjust. The old 'how to' guides don't work any more.