Has the standard AI gotten an upgrade in the last 18 months?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Has the standard AI gotten an upgrade in the last 18 months?

In the last three weeks of playing my first CoW game after an absence of 18 months, I have observed a number of AI actions that I believe are new and probably represent a not-insignificant upgrade of the AI's programmed behaviors. Is this true?

Below is a screenshot of a damaged L1 rocket (i.e., a V1 buzzbomb), which was damaged and its L1 airfield damaged, by a single tactical bomber on direct attack. The launching L1 airbase was in Cleveland on the 22-player map. As you can see below, the aircraft truck convoy carrying the wounded L1 rocket is attempting to escape across Lake Erie!

Things that make you go "hmmm."
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Has the standard AI gotten an upgrade in the last 18 months?
      Yes: >> forum.callofwar.com/index.php?thread/27781-elite-ai-for-all <<

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Well, that explains a few things I have witnessed. Thanks, Restrisiko.

I've played games with the "elite" AI previously. More of a trap for rookies and single-strategy players who love doom stacks. This new-ish standard AI (elite AI for everyone!) can still be picked apart by a good and knowledgeable player, but there are obvious penalties for players who set their doom stacks on 48-hours pre-programmed missions, intentionally start 3, 4, 5 or 6 simultaneous wars, and refuse to adapt their usual strategy and tactics to the particular unit mix of AI (and human) opponents.

C'est la guerre. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

Pourquoi Français?
      Because it's an appropriate cliche, and it sounds so very much more elegant in French.

MontanaBB wrote:

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
      If you don't know it, Ryan, you should google it. It's one of those things a literate adult should recognize, even if some of us are unable to pronounce it correctly in our Southern-accented high school French.
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

Haha, I am Canadian French...
      Well, then you should understand my self-consciousness about my non-standard French accent.

I grew up in Florida, where the only French one was likely to encounter (outside of school) was on the local restaurants' wine lists. My high school French teacher was an Alabama native who graduated from Florida State. Apparently, more than a little of her Alabama drawl was imparted to my own butchering of your mother tongue. Every time I have been in France, and I have attempted to politely engage the natives in their own language (which I am told they do appreciate), I have gotten a big smile and an inquiry as to where in the "South" I'm from.

And no one says Chateauneuf-du-Pape quite like me!
    • Islandboy wrote:

Im just wondering how a AI city without an industrial complex can produce tanks like it did to me, or change a light tank to a tank destroyer. No development or research time like we must play with. Just wondering....
      AI's are quite legit in the game. They follow what all player does and does not auto regenerate. Some AI city may not have IC due to it being destroyed or.. just not being there. But others have, and they create units there
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • well I understand what your saying, but how does a city generate tanks without an Industrial Complex?
      it happened, my recon car ID'ed an empty city with no IC (no smoke stacks) then as my armor approached, tanks just appeared. I also had air cover so I could see if anything was to approach the city so these tanks were not developed elsewhere.

Why did light tanks just turn into Tank Destroyers? Again my recon car ID'ed light tanks in an area so I backed out of range as my armor approached those light tanks are now Destroyers. How? Again air cover was present so they didn't come from another area.

How can upgrades be higher than the playing day of the research. It happens, I know because I'm always upgrading my units and know how long it takes. I'm maxed out, but the AI still has a higher upgrade, happened with naval ships . How?

These are things I have seen thought out the year or so, that I have been playing this game. Not sure if I'm going to get any answers, or answers that make any sense, but these are the things I have to work through while playing your game.

Thanks for your above answer...nice to know staff is listening to us....
    • Um... for the research, what day is it? It's possible that a human-turned-ai player would have elite troops. Also, the new ai is known to rush at the frontlines as soon as possible, so it might be that they were outside of your air cover and appeared later (or they passed by your air cover but you were inactive at the time).
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • I think you really don't understand fully what I am trying to describe, perhaps it's my fault.
      Perhaps a language barrier, not sure.

The air cover had continue watch of the areas and I was not inactive at the time. I watched it on screen change.

I understand your position and you must support the game. Just telling you and others what happened and players need to watch out for the unexpected.

Thanks
    • Islandboy wrote:

I think you really don't understand fully what I am trying to describe, perhaps it's my fault.
      Perhaps a language barrier, not sure.

The air cover had continue watch of the areas and I was not inactive at the time. I watched it on screen change.
      @Islandboy, I understood exactly what you're saying. I have played 26 COW games, 25 of them to completion, either as the winner, runner-up or a survivor still on the board when the game ended. I've seen plenty of programming glitches and server overload problems, but I have never seen spontaneously generated units involving an AI opponent. In my fairly extensive COW game-playing experience, usually such problems arise from misperceptions of old intelligence or from incomplete intelligence where units are on the extreme edge of your unit's view range. Enemy and neutral units appear generically as "infantry regiment no. __" when they first appear on the extreme edge of your unit's view range, and then their full unit (or unit stack) details are revealed as they draw closer.

In my personal experience, I have certainly never seen light tank brigades converted into tank destroyer brigades, or for that matter, any other type of unit converted from one type to another. That should never happen; in fact, it should be impossible. Human players can accelerate building construction, unit production (i.e., "unit spamming"), and research cycles with gold spending. But LTs and TDs don't even share the same research tree, so it should be programmatically impossible to convert one unit type to the other. If what happened in your game actually happened as you described it, someone owes you an explanation.

If I were you, I would politely ask the kindly and very knowledgeable @VorlonFCW, the senior English language forum and game administrator, to take a look at your game's history and see if he can reconcile what you have described with the way the game is supposed to operate.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• There's no need for a convoluted explanation or glitch-dependent cause for what the poor guy's been experiencing... The real reason is simple:

* Bytro Pixie Dust

No, seriously. These new super-smart AI calculate the map like chess computers do their checkered boards. Then they provide players with a certain mix of units and behaviors to deal with. It's all legit in the sense that the game developers' aim is to simulate the non-tangible experience of facing a challenging opponent; that is, the surprise attacks, the tenacity of the defense, feeling frustrated and at times even desperate... It's all there for you, the Bytro client, beneficiary of their dedication to making you feel that you are indeed at war...

My hat's off to them! Kudos to those code-monkeys!

EDIT: (After a minute of chuckling to myself...)

OK. Now stop listening to me, everyone, and forgive me... Because honestly, I just made all that up...

:D
      But words are things, and a small drop of ink,
      Falling like dew, upon a thought, produces
      That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.

- Lord Byron