CoW vs. Supremacy 1914?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoW vs. Supremacy 1914?

Hello everyone. I've been playing Call of War now for a few months. I'd like to know something about Supremacy 1914 before jumping into it.

I'm hoping that those who have the experience of playing Supremacy 1914 will summarize the game, and also to compare and contrast it with Call of War. Please list and describe it's pluses and minuses, etcetera.

More/less emphasis on economics?

More/less emphasis on research?

More/less emphasis on tactics and maneuver (rather than brute-force frontal attacks)?

More/less emphasis on diplomacy?

I'm really hoping you'll tell me about the 'feel' of the game, specifically when compared to Call of War.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments.
      But words are things, and a small drop of ink,
      Falling like dew, upon a thought, produces
      That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.

- Lord Byron
    • I lost the only game of S1914 that I played, so I am not much help.

sbde isn’t a thing there, stacks of 500 infantry are common.

More just brute force smash your way through from what I saw.

Economy is important too, but don’t be too slow on expansion because you are trying to build economy.

Captured provinces produce resources equal with core provinces, there is no non-core penalty.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • I played one game and used all my free gold to have fun. I think I remember the best part being a spinning roulette thing. I dont recall actually going back to play after that game though. I personally was never fond of it. Call of war will always be my favorite bytro game. My second was probably Thirty Kingdoms(r.ip).
    • I played SP1914 for like one day and then I quit... it feels like a precursor to CoW (which it is) so there's a lot of things that isn't as fleshed out as well. And yes, every province produces something, not just money and manpower.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Have not played S1914 in years, ever since they dis-banded the Players Alliance Liga.
      Did try the more recent version, Supremacy One.
      Not much there, only 2 maps, the morale penalties are so severe, only GM
      can keep a country going.
      There are too many absurd features to mention here, but I show this
      clever detail:
      Battleships are weak when attacking or defending against other naval units.

• supremacy one seems to me the take at a bit more complicated version of „original version“ or a follow up to the flanders field event or how it was called

it’s in a weird place for sure ^^
      Teburu

GER/EN Forums
      Conflict of Nations Veteran
      I suck at COW
      idk what else to put here :D
    • SirMcSquiggles Jr. wrote:

I played one game and used all my free gold to have fun. I think I remember the best part being a spinning roulette thing. I dont recall actually going back to play after that game though. I personally was never fond of it. Call of war will always be my favorite bytro game. My second was probably Thirty Kingdoms(r.ip).
      Sorry for the necromancy but is Thirty Kingdoms about ancient China?
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

SirMcSquiggles Jr. wrote:

I played one game and used all my free gold to have fun. I think I remember the best part being a spinning roulette thing. I dont recall actually going back to play after that game though. I personally was never fond of it. Call of war will always be my favorite bytro game. My second was probably Thirty Kingdoms(r.ip).
      Sorry for the necromancy but is Thirty Kingdoms about ancient China?
      I think it’s about medieval europe
      知己知彼,百战不殆
      :00010164: :00008172: :00002178: :00002047: :00000156: :00010180: :00010317:
    • In 1914 you usually hace red numbered resources, economy is more dificult but not better than CoW's.
      Iy's very dificult to produce any unit apart of basic soldiers.
      Ships or artillery do not play an importante position un battles.

People roll less but graphics are better.
      I loved Supremacy until y knew CoW.
      CoW is muchos better.

I'm sorry about muy english, I'm from Spain (Olé olé, you know) and I don't speak ver y well.
    • AdolfoBenitoPaquito wrote:

I loved Supremacy until y knew CoW.
      I think in general CoW's a much better game per se, but I find the Great War far more interesting. A game with the complexity and general feel of Call of War, but set from c1890 to 1920, would in my opinion be far more fun. Particularly if it had worldwide and Pacific maps, and other maps like CoW rather than just Europe. Would like to re-enact the Russo-Japanese War!
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks