Aircraft carrier defence

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Aircraft carrier defence

The things that protect an aircraft carrier is its carrier group and aircraft. However, a level 1 aircraft carrier deals 10 HP of damage to enemy ships that accidentally cross it. It is kind of too high and makes it kind of safe for players to leave aircraft carriers somewhere to use simply as a mobile airfield. In reality, an aircraft carrier uses its aircraft to defend itself from oncoming enemies. Thus, I have the following suggestions:

Aircraft stationed on an aircraft carrier have a similar interface to fire control. Maybe there could be a setting in which the naval bombers automatically attack the enemy attacking the aircraft carrier? It wouldn't be overpowered as the naval bombers could be shot down by interceptors or by cruisers in the enemy stack.

The aircraft carrier's defence stats could be reduced, probably between 30-60%. This is to add a penalty for those who don't protect their carriers.
    • Carrier defensive fire is only used in a direct close combat situation, there is no range to that. In that situation the planes parked on the carrier are included in the combat calculations.

Of course destroyers, cruisers, and battleships all have a range attack, so a stationary carrier is a sitting duck in that case. Always keep your carriers moving ;)

I definitely do not want my planes having any kind of “automatic” setting where a player could come in with a cruiser and lure all my planes away to their death. Units having standard reactions makes it easy for a clever player to gain an advantage.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

I definitely do not want my planes having any kind of “automatic” setting where a player could come in with a cruiser and lure all my planes away to their death. Units having standard reactions makes it easy for a clever player to gain an advantage.
      Or any other unit. Arty on auto setting will fire at the first thing they see, like a sole militia unit and then they get hit by arty coming in right behind the militia, as an example :)