Airplane defense

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Airplane defense

If an aircraft carrier is attacked by another ship, or planes, or artillery, do the aircraft on the aircraft carrier defend it? i.e. their defense stats are applied to the attacker. Likewise, if planes are not patrolling an air base, but simply AT an airbase, if the territory of the airbase is attacked do the aircraft defend it? If not do they have different defense/hitpoint stats for when they are grounded?
    • So to be complete:

Patrolling vs air attacks = Use both defensive and offensive stats vs enemy defensive and offensive stats.
      Patrolling vs ground/naval attacks on carrier/airport = use only offensive stats vs enemy defensive stats.

Grounded vs air attacks = ? ( i suppose use defensive stats vs air only)
      Grounded vs land attacks = ? (I suppose = do nothing since it doesnt have defensive stats vs ground)
      On carrier vs air attacks = ? ( i suppose use defensive stats vs air only)
      On carrier vs ship attacks = ? (I suppose = do nothing since it doesnt have defensive stats vs ground)

If that is correct, it may be interesting to note that when numbers are relatively large. Your large number of airplanes in a single stack using only their defensive stats vs air attacks would be functioning optimally vs an enemy who uses the common 5+5 stacks to attack you. If your planes were patrolling themselves, either in 5+5 groups or all together, your active and knowlegable opponent could abuse them by using the correct patrol-delay tactics either way.

The post was edited 3 times, last by ArjenSmit79 ().

• Not sure I understand all that but I should clarify regarding 'on ground' planes.

Aircraft that isn't refueling is displayed as if on the ground but the game treats them as if in the air (they will defend air attacks) but not patrolling (no 15m tick). In melee battles they have full hit points and can counter-attack, taking damage from return fire of ground units. When all supporting ground units killed, battle ends, province is captured and planes reduced to convoys. Attacker may need to manually attack the convoy - it's not automatic.
    • Carriers defend, but unlike all other ships, they don’t have any range. That makes them vuknerabke to all other ships. The only way to defend carriers is with the planes on them. If there are no planes on them, then move them constantly.
      If I had Canadian Soldiers, American Technology, and British Officers, I would rule the world. -Winston Churchill
      FORUM GANG Second Lieutenant :00000461:
      CALL OF WAR TECHNICIAN THIRD GRADE
    • ArjenSmit79 wrote:

Killer8282 wrote:

Carriers defend, but unlike all other ships, they don’t have any range. That makes them vuknerabke to all other ships. The only way to defend carriers is with the planes on them. If there are no planes on them, then move them constantly.
      Or just put them in a stack with battleships + destroyers ?
      Yes, put them in a stack, they are the same speed as battleship so it is perfect and you won't be losing any time.
      If I had Canadian Soldiers, American Technology, and British Officers, I would rule the world. -Winston Churchill
      FORUM GANG Second Lieutenant :00000461:
      CALL OF WAR TECHNICIAN THIRD GRADE