optimizing progression of research requirements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• optimizing progression of research requirements

The following I write from CoW1.0 perspective, but the thought is relevant for CoW1.5 just as well:

In CoW1.0, research costs and durations have a very similar, almost equally steep progression. I remember I had suggested it that way before it was realized a year ago, but I now see that's not perfect - because it results in the following: In every game, there comes a moment when your rares production reaches a speed that makes it sufficient for researching and building new level 1 ICs (need for the latter usually even decreases at a certain point and often that is the moment I'm talking about). It varies a lot when this moment comes, but you have it somewhere in each game. From that moment on you don't worry about resource costs any more when taking your resource decisions. From then on, you fill your two research slots all the time without compromise and you're from then on only interested in the duration of a certain technology when deciding which one to research next. While before that moment, you're only interested in the resource costs of a certain technology.
      Now wouldn't it be much better if both resource requirements and duration of the technologies were relevant for your research decisions at any time? Was a rhetorical question - yes it would. Cause that would make research decisions much more difficult and interesting. You'd have to have two aspects in mind (scarcity of resources and scarcity of resource slots) that are very difficult to compare. A good strategy game should contain such difficult, multi-dimensional decisions.

To realize that, I suggest two improvements - at least one of these should be done; ideally both:
      * The second research slot should be closed until day 8.
      * Progression of resource costs should be steeper than it is now (i.e. low level technologies should cost less resources than they do now and high level technologies more than they do now). This would match the progress your economy makes during the game better.
    • I have played a lot of different countries in many maps but i noticed something even when i was new to the game was that there are never enough rares. It's not just me but i seen other players go in chat and they notice that issue and find it annoying which shows i'm not alone. Like with other resources i have no problem with that since you can buy more stuff but rares are always never enough especially the first few days of any game on any map it be nice to have rares more accessible the first few days (like till day 4). As for research i got no complaints besides the rares problem.
    • WascallywabbitCDN wrote:

Resource shortages just add to the game play, forcing players to chose wisely
      I always try to play a country that produces lots of rares and I don’t research much, but sell lots of rares to get lots of money! You can use that to build more units!
      If I had Canadian Soldiers, American Technology, and British Officers, I would rule the world. -Winston Churchill
      FORUM GANG Second Lieutenant :00000461:
      CALL OF WAR TECHNICIAN THIRD GRADE
    • You would be ok later in game because researches are in greater intervals and you have more land. BUT... when you sell it, you will find out that you don't have enough for later. Sometimes...
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • revengegirl wrote:

there are never enough rares
      In my experience, the average market value of rares in an average game is pretty close to twice the value of other resources. Which would speak for perfect resource balancing (since they're twice as hard to produce). Game would become pretty boring if the overall amount of rares in the game was increased - that would reduce your need to choose (thanks @WascallywabbitCDN for the illustration).
      Of course if you're too greedy to pay that price for rares or during the first days think for whatever reason you have to research like there's no tomorrow... then you'll run into a severe rares shortage. But that's not the fault of the balancing - is your own fault, then.
      Note: My suggestion to keep the second research slot closed during the first days (text on it should of course inform about the day it will open) would help players not to run into the trap of researching too much during early game.

However there's one issue hidden in rares having the scarcity and thus the value they deserve: Prize to buy them with gold is the same as for the other resources. Should be twice as high, of course. That should be fixed (maybe by reducing gold prize for other resources and increasing it for rares), but for sure not the overall amount of rares be increased.

Ryan04px2025 wrote:

You would be ok later in game because researches are in greater intervals and you have more land.
      Exactly. Also because as time goes by, you'll have built more and more IC and infra in the rares provinces of (at least) your core.
      My suggestion to make progression of research costs more steep would help to even that out. Currently rares income increases as days go by, while need for rares doesn't (there is a peak at the moment most players want to build new IC level 1s, but afterwards it goes down while income keeps increasing) - which isn't a good balance. Steeper research costs progression would help to keep the value of rares more constant throughout the game.
    • Hans A. Pils wrote:

Ryan04px2025 wrote:

You would be ok later in game because researches are in greater intervals and you have more land.
      Exactly. Also because as time goes by, you'll have built more and more IC and infra in the rares provinces of (at least) your core.My suggestion to make progression of research costs more steep would help to even that out. Currently rares income increases as days go by, while need for rares doesn't (there is a peak at the moment most players want to build new IC level 1s, but afterwards it goes down while income keeps increasing) - which isn't a good balance. Steeper research costs progression would help to keep the value of rares more constant throughout the game.
      Correct but I don't think you have enough for new IC early in game.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • i dont like the idea of closing research slot 2 till later in the game - i always research like hell early doors as it gives distinct advantage at beginning of the game - if you are a decent player you will know its not a good idea to sit there with a vault full of money as that makes you a target - simple - go spend it on rare

The VERY first thing i do when i join a game is spend the lion share of my vault on res - beginning of game all res i cheaper than it will become later so fill your storeroom with res - reduce your vault size and crack on.

learn to play the game and dont limit its capabilities for the benefit of those that dont know HOW to play
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

later in game because researches are in greater intervals
      In late game, there just isn't enough time to keep everything upgraded with only two research slots. Thus, longer research times alone already pose difficult and multi-dimensional choices.

If the OP's proposals were implemented, I could certainly adjust but they would steepen the learning curve of an already complex game. Since those who can't adjust are more likely to fall under my sword, can't say I'm totally opposed. ;)
    • Nooberium wrote:

Since those who can't adjust are more likely to fall under my sword
      I would agree that certain parts of the suggestion bear merit and could be given due consideration and agree that as in life certain predicaments are thrown at you and you need to adjust your position , those that are not flexible will break - or in this instance get trampled by better players. however i still like the two slot research at the outset, as people like me who can use all resources provided including cash start far quicker than those who want to vault money and not hit the ground running.
      The present system works for me - i constantly see ppl just vaulting or sitting and building troops too scared to attack and to tight to spend money on research - youd think they are saving it for a rainy day - the only rain theyll see in a game is the artillery raining down on the capital as im opening the vault doors lol