Most Admired Second World War Hero

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ryan04px2025 wrote:

GEN.FARSWAN wrote:

yes nazis were bad i believe but not the German people they didnt know what they were doing in genocide they just followed their leader who were really bad in some matters but otherwise they thought they were justdoing it for countrys betterment (rommel and many german generals were good too along with soldiers and civilians)
      A lot of Nazi soldiers have no idea what is going on which is really sad.
      As long as you realize that the majority of German soldiers, who were not in the SS, were not members of the nazi party. Those who were probably had a good idea what was going on as they bought in to the propaganda being put out by the government, and those who weren't were not blind to it either. Soldier's rumour mill would have seen to that.
    • WascallywabbitCDN wrote:

As long as you realize that the majority of German soldiers, who were not in the SS, were not members of the nazi party. Those who were probably had a good idea what was going on as they bought in to the propaganda being put out by the government, and those who weren't were not blind to it either. Soldier's rumour mill would have seen to that.
      To be unaware of Nazi crimes, you would have to be located in a remote front- such as North Africa. Rommel and those under his commend come to mind ...

Rommel's stance towards antisemitism and Nazi ideology, his level of knowledge of the Holocaust and his involvement in war crimes remain matters of debate among scholars. But he may have been vindicated when In 1944, when Rommel was implicated in the 20 July plot to assassinate Hitler. Because of Rommel's status as a national hero, Hitler desired to eliminate him quietly instead of immediately executing him, as many other plotters were. Rommel was given a choice between committing suicide, in return for assurances that his reputation would remain intact and that his family would not be persecuted following his death, or facing a trial that would result in his disgrace and execution; he chose the former and committed suicide using a cyanide pill.Rommel was given a state funeral, and it was announced that he had succumbed to his injuries from the strafing of his staff car in Normandy.
    • GeneralAumSum wrote:

Winston Churchill. He was the leader of the allies
      This was true from 1939 until the Summer of 1941, when Hitler invade Russia- thus Stalin comes into the picture, more or less as an equal. A few months later, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor- thus FDR comes into the picture. In all fairness. all 3 of them deserve about equal credit for the Ally victory- despite my own negative personal feelings for a ruthless dictator like Stalin.
    • Nn gg wrote:

hey even in 1940, he was losing until FDR came in, and kinda killed Germany (in was a fast advance after the Normandy beaches because of PATTON)
      You forgot the mess that was Operation Market Garden by Monty. I feel really bad for the paratroopers who just happened to land in a German trap. Other than that though, the advance of the Western Allies after Normandy was relatively successful and quick.

But, D-Day is overrated in my opinion. By the time D-Day happened, if I remember correctly, Germany lost most of its tank forces at Kursk, the Allies landed in Italy, and even if D-Day was a failure, Germany would still fall, but maybe later than our current timeline.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Little Racoon wrote:

Nn gg wrote:

hey even in 1940, he was losing until FDR came in, and kinda killed Germany (in was a fast advance after the Normandy beaches because of PATTON)
      You forgot the mess that was Operation Market Garden by Monty. I feel really bad for the paratroopers who just happened to land in a German trap. Other than that though, the advance of the Western Allies after Normandy was relatively successful and quick.
      But, D-Day is overrated in my opinion. By the time D-Day happened, if I remember correctly, Germany lost most of its tank forces at Kursk, the Allies landed in Italy, and even if D-Day was a failure, Germany would still fall, but maybe later than our current timeline.
      kind of true... but d day happened as a successful landing b cause of a failed attempt by Canadian troops the year before
      hi