How do units determine attack targets when there are multiple?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do units determine attack targets when there are multiple?

First off I would like to ask whether a unit already in battle (the red lightning bolt appears) is capable of switching targets mid battle. Frequently I will have ground units attacking air defense units. In the fifteen minute period in which the air defense is defending against (or attacking) my ground units can my planes safely bombard the anti air defense without any chance of being attacked back? If not how would the anti air defense suddenly switch targets?

This links into a more general question I have, but one I less urgently require an answer to. How do units decide which units to attack when they are given the order? Say I have a light tank attacking an enemy group consisting of a medium tank and a heavy tank. Which tank would my light tank attack first? or would it share the damage between the light tank and the heavy tank? This question extends to all troop types. If there is a thread which already answers all these questions please link me to it, and don't bully me I just haven't found the thread.
    • No, A Unit or Units in battle can not switch positions or targets mid-battle, They Must complete the battle they are participating in currently. :no: . As for your second question, I am pretty sure, if the units are stacked, The Unit(s) you are sending to battle will attack the Enemy unit as one. I know for a fact though,that if you have a stacked enemy division or regiment blocking your path, your Unit(s) will slowly kill off units separately until that division or regiments condition is lowered to 0%. Also, I know that the weaker unit in the consisting enemy Stack will die quicker. I don't believe there is a specific pattern.
      Master Sergeant ~ Waronthemoon
    • There are two basic laws of combat:

A unit (or group) can attack once per game hour (exact interval depends on speed factor). Yes this unit can change targets for the next attack, although it will still only fire once per game hour, so you can’t make it attack more often by shifting targets.

Units will return fire using their defensive stats every single time they are attacked. So even if you have the AA units pinned down they will still return fire when attacked by planes.

there are various threads on combat mechanics, for a complete understanding I suggest reading many threads on the topic. When attacking a group the damage is split first among the armor classes present at the target location, and then split among the number of unit types and number of units within each armor class.

To add to that, there is a random X factor that simulates hit / miss / partial hit for each part of a battle.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<