Pay model that allows games without gold?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pay model that allows games without gold?

We have all been there. Playing a game for weeks or months, and then suddenly a disgruntled player gets crazy and starts massproducing rockets and nukes with a thousand gold just to win the game.

Would it be possible to introduce a paid membership that makes it possible to play games where you can't use gold?

I understand that the company needs to make money, but this way they get a hefty membership fee. And it improves the game experience for serious gamers.

I can see that a lot of people would be willing to pay a lot for a Gold Free Membership, with exclusive games only for these serious gamers.
    • Not impossible (as devs might just say sike and change it), but highly unlikely. VERY HIGHLY unlikely.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Anarianar wrote:

Would it be possible to introduce a paid membership that makes it possible to play games where you can't use gold?
      I have never seen anybody spamming rockets and nukes. I say that for a game that typically lasts 4-5 weeks, I believe that any serious player would pay $29.99 fee, and perhaps spend 100,000 gold as a ceiling. A more common complain is spamming regular units (such as infantry, armor, warplanes and warships) that require manpower- in that case you could make manpower not buyable with gold ... 8)
    • It has happened in my games at times.

Just recently, a guy got an empty city within 1000km of my capital. Used gold to build industry and everything else, bought 30 or so gold rockets, and when that didn't help, finally nukes to take out my cities...

I had frustrated him for weeks destroying his usual attacks (also financed with gold)...

But yeah, a ceiling for gold could be a good way to go. Not being able to buy manpower would also be good, but nukes and rockets don't demand much...
    • meh, this rarely happens, since the game rarely even gets that far. I have been in only 2 that even got that far. Once the guy got 200 planes on me. SBDE did some god stuff for me. The guy literally had no ground troops, so basically I would wait for the planes to refuel and then I would use Armored Cars and Mech Inf to take the provinces back, and I won.
      We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equally, and endowed by certain unalienable rights, among these are life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
    • Anarianar wrote:

We have all been there. Playing a game for weeks or months, and then suddenly a disgruntled player gets crazy and starts massproducing rockets and nukes with a thousand gold just to win the game.

I understand that the company needs to make money, but this way they get a hefty membership fee. And it improves the game experience for serious gamers.

I can see that a lot of people would be willing to pay a lot for a Gold Free Membership, with exclusive games only for these serious gamers.
      I would like this idea. Could be a Pay to Play Game. Wouldn't that be interesting. On the other hand, I think whats makes COW so playable is that they've found a nice balance. Coining can help, but it won't win. And if you coin up even a little, I've found I can compete with most anybody I've run into. I like the idea of a Pay to Play Game. Assuming COW could charge say $10 per player or whatever to produce the expected revenue of a normal game.
    • Anarianar wrote:

I second this idea. I'm a new player and was about to suggest the same thing. Personally it is kinda frustrating seeing your moves outdone by the enemy spamming unit builds left and right. I wouldn't mind paying as long as I get in a game where I can play on a level playing field with other players.