Call of War 1.5 iteration 3: Balancing changelog

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Alrighty,I joined a 100 map about 20 hours ago as of writing this article.

I joinedin as Egypt to play the Axis doctrine and got some friends to join in with meso we can all test and learn together. From day 1,starting rss seem pretty wellbalanced. I ran out of cash the first and after selling about 1-2k food andrares each. I was broke on; metal, goods, oil and cash. So I believe startingrss are well balanced for each other. I think maybe 10-15k cash would help alittle bit however. I did however build two local ports which may have causeddifferent rss shortages to reduce embarking and disembarking times.

Buildingwise, I built one of each troop production building along with upgrading all myIC to lvl 2. Troop productions I have been building a constant stream of ACfrom one city, and motorised infantry from another, a sub and arty. Saving upright now for some rocket arty to fight a large stack of 15 Syrian troops on myborder :/

I doreally like how we can produce more troops day 1, I feel this adds far morestrategy early game as myself and enemies can actually really build stuff up,day 1 so far seems to have more happening in it which is more enjoyable so far imo.

Forexample, I am Egypt so I am preparing to attack Hejez, but I also need to keepmy border strong with Syria (libya and north sudan are allies), so I have sentsome troops from Arish to take Hejaz, and my ally N Sudan fortunately built aCruiser day 1, so he is going to bomb Mecca so I can walk on in withoutresistance so I only need to send a small force to take it (or at least that’sthe plan XD). I really like this as in 1.0, we could not build Cruisers day 1,so options like this would not be possible. The possibility for team works likethis is far greater in 1.5, esp given my ally will not receive a moral penaltyfor being at war, so he can assist me with no negative reproductions (loweringreputation, but nothing else)

More gamespecific now, Iraq, Syria and Saudi have all joined a coalition together andIraq declared one me… I was able to peace out with him. But I suspect war willcome soon which may be a very early 1v3 :O… So, my testing may end quite soonlol, or my game is going to explode if I succeed and go very well. While in anormal 1.0 map I would probably have not agreed to peace and charged in there,I am a little more weary that more or less, everyone is on the same level ofknowledge and experience on this map, so I cannot as easily 1v3 my way throughthis map :/
    (… although perhaps some ppl have moreexperience than the rest of us in my specific map XD )

So far,the game looks well balanced and I look forward eagerly for the following daysand the potential for a real early war. I do like how every nation has onedouble province per rss. I think this will balance out rss well in the map,some nations will be better for certain individuals and strategies, but therelikely will not be the issue of some nations with 1 oil, vs nations with 3 oilprovinces and thus having a large advantage over them late game.

I will likely make a separate post about the new unit changes once I have played with them all more (although, from a quick look, their balances look good!)

As aquestion, are rare materials in 1.5 meant to be like they are in 1.0, which isthe most rare and lowest producing rss? Or are rares meant to be on the sameproduction lvl as oil, goods, food etc? and represent an assortment of rarematerials, and not actually be a rare rss to come by? And thus their demandshould be fairly equal with the other rss?

I suspect it is the later one. If so, I will ofc need to test, but I thinkrares may be too needed in troops. Planes, Medium tanks, Heavy tanks, rocketarty and SP rocket arty all require rares as their most needed rss. The onlytwo ranged infantry killing troops (planes and rocket arty) require rares astheir dominant rss which might cause rares to be too rare. I will ofc test this but want to determine my question in the paragraph above.
    Torpedo28000
    Main Administrator
    EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

The post was edited 1 time, last by Torpedo28000 ().

• Torpedo28000 wrote:

Alrighty,I joined a 100 map about 20 hours ago as of writing this article.

I joinedin as Egypt to play the Axis doctrine and got some friends to join in with meso we can all test and learn together. From day 1,starting rss seem pretty wellbalanced. I ran out of cash the first and after selling about 1-2k food andrares each. I was broke on; metal, goods, oil and cash. So I believe startingrss are well balanced for each other. I think maybe 10-15k cash would help alittle bit however. I did however build two local ports which may have causeddifferent rss shortages to reduce embarking and disembarking times.

Buildingwise, I built one of each troop production building along with upgrading all myIC to lvl 2. Troop productions I have been building a constant stream of ACfrom one city, and motorised infantry from another, a sub and arty. Saving upright now for some rocket arty to fight a large stack of 15 Syrian troops on myborder :/

I doreally like how we can produce more troops day 1, I feel this adds far morestrategy early game as myself and enemies can actually really build stuff up,day 1 so far seems to have more happening in it which is more enjoyable so far imo.

Forexample, I am Egypt so I am preparing to attack Hejez, but I also need to keepmy border strong with Syria (libya and north sudan are allies), so I have sentsome troops from Arish to take Hejaz, and my ally N Sudan fortunately built aCruiser day 1, so he is going to bomb Mecca so I can walk on in withoutresistance so I only need to send a small force to take it (or at least that’sthe plan XD). I really like this as in 1.0, we could not build Cruisers day 1,so options like this would not be possible. The possibility for team works likethis is far greater in 1.5, esp given my ally will not receive a moral penaltyfor being at war, so he can assist me with no negative reproductions (loweringreputation, but nothing else)

More gamespecific now, Iraq, Syria and Saudi have all joined a coalition together andIraq declared one me… I was able to peace out with him. But I suspect war willcome soon which may be a very early 1v3 :O… So, my testing may end quite soonlol, or my game is going to explode if I succeed and go very well. While in anormal 1.0 map I would probably have not agreed to peace and charged in there,I am a little more weary that more or less, everyone is on the same level ofknowledge and experience on this map, so I cannot as easily 1v3 my way throughthis map :/
    (… although perhaps some ppl have moreexperience than the rest of us in my specific map XD )

So far,the game looks well balanced and I look forward eagerly for the following daysand the potential for a real early war. I do like how every nation has onedouble province per rss. I think this will balance out rss well in the map,some nations will be better for certain individuals and strategies, but therelikely will not be the issue of some nations with 1 oil, vs nations with 3 oilprovinces and thus having a large advantage over them late game.

I will likely make a separate post about the new unit changes once I have played with them all more (although, from a quick look, their balances look good!)

As aquestion, are rare materials in 1.5 meant to be like they are in 1.0, which isthe most rare and lowest producing rss? Or are rares meant to be on the sameproduction lvl as oil, goods, food etc? and represent an assortment of rarematerials, and not actually be a rare rss to come by? And thus their demandshould be fairly equal with the other rss?

I suspect it is the later one. If so, I will ofc need to test, but I thinkrares may be too needed in troops. Planes, Medium tanks, Heavy tanks, rocketarty and SP rocket arty all require rares as their most needed rss. The onlytwo ranged infantry killing troops (planes and rocket arty) require rares astheir dominant rss which might cause rares to be too rare. I will ofc test this but want to determine my question in the paragraph above.
    THanks for the feedback, I like reading those practical reports :)

Regarding your question: The rare materials are indeed meant to have the same scarcity as the other resources now and their name only refers to being an assortment of various different rare materials.

From what I have seen so far rare materials are rather abundant in the early game, which is reflected in the resource prices on the market. This is due to there being too few units in the early game which require rare materials, as they are rather needed for more advanced troops. So later in the game rares will become quite important, as you have noticed. We may tweak the starting amounts of resources for the next iteration a bit to account for the different resource needs in the early game.
  • Early game units:

Just my little summary of the troops as of day 2 with the axis doctrine - I will likely make a list of my thoughts on every unit later as I use more.

I have been building a lot of AC, motor inf (as I am axis I can get it day 1), these two troops seem very strong early game as AC are great against unarmoured (UA). And motor inf… omg this troop looks great and so far is amazing! I really like how it is offensively designed and I think it gives this unit a really great use, mechanised infantry also looks great. But so far, from my experience and also my allies, motorised inf is performing very well and is carving through enemy inf like butter… and while I have not done much fighting yet, from watching my allies and their comments they are feeling great… I will get my chance to use these soon :evil:

I also really like the speed of motor inf and AC. It feels as though we can really outmaneuver players as their speed is almost 2x as much, so with the -50% speed in enemy land, AC move only slightly slower than an enemy inf and motor inf moves faster. I have planned my war to run into the enemy land with AC and motor inf, and I should be able to capture land faster than inf can reinforce which is pretty awesome.

I have built subs, so far I cannot comment on these as I am yet to use them for anything but scouting, perhaps the view range of subs could be increased as a coastal scouting troop, or have the view range as you research it? But otherwise I do not have anything to add… yet XD

I am also building up some Cruisers, as I said in my previous post, my ally used his CLs to attack costal troops, so I decided to stop mooching off my allies and am building my own to help bombard coastal locations in the med. Being able to get CLs, or maybe even BBs for this task day 1 is imo really cool, I will speak about it in my day 2-3 recap, but I wanted to say it again. I really like how we can get these troops day 1. Also how DD now do small, but some damage to ground troops is nice… and I also like the concept of how BBs outrange arty.

I built two artillery and have been spamming out a bunch of rocket artillery. I feel as though artillery should be buffed for its light armour (LA) damage.

As a summary for rocket arty vs arty at lvl 1:

Rocket arty does does 0.9 more light armour damage

0.8 less heavy armour damage

And 3.5 more inf damage,

Given there are not many heavy armour (HA) troops early game arty seems to me to be not so useful this early on. Even later game there is only a 2 damage difference between rocket arty and normal arty, I think that this makes either Rocket arty (RA) too strong, or arty too weak. I think the LA should either be buffed on arty, or reduced on RA to give arty more of a use, esp early game. Otherwise I would not build any arty probably until day 6-8 when HA troops start becoming more available. And likely less as RA can do pretty well against LA.

Given the new value to stop revolts is 10, I think infantry strength value should be increased to 6 each not 5 (Also whether doctrines impact this as well, so my axis troops are stronger so the comintern would ned 3 inf most likely?). This is because if one infantry suffers even one HP damage, two inf will not be enough to ensure there will be no revolt, either risking a very low revolt chance with two inf, or requiring three inf to hold the province (I currently have two inf at 94% condition and their strength is 9.9, so in the next patch when it goes from 13.5 back to 10, two inf would not be enough to stop a revolt), and imo 6% taken should not be enough to force an additional inf needed to guard the province from revolt, esp as likely you take damage fighting. Perhaps even going up to 5.5 instead of 5 would help this. This however likely would just be an issue day 1-4 until inf is researched up. But something I think is just annoying for players :)

LT for me just don't feel they give enough early game. They will only be great fighting other LTs or AC, but an AT will do a better job (defending tho). AC will also do more damage against infantry units which early game are more used so far, and also given we start with the inf, I believe AC early game with its also far stronger inf defence is a better unit. Late game I see how the LT will be the better choice, early game AC appear to be. Not a pro or con really, just felt I would say this as in 1.0 LT spam was very powerful early on.

I have not gone for any air force yet. I am actually low on rares. I saw your post on it. But rn rare materials are actually my 2nd largest rss issue (metal my primary one), but a few hours ago I was lowest on rares. I did however spam out a huge amount of RA (again my day 2-3 summary will go through this), but rares for me are also an issue (by issue I mean I am low/don’t have any other them). But, I do think increasing starting amounts of metal, goods and food would be great for AC, motor inf, AT, AA units that so far I am seeing more of early on, as I did run out of them immediately.

I am also preparing to attack Syria, Iraq and Saudi solo so wish me luck everyone... I fear I may need it :/ :evil: (Hope they aren't reading this :whistling: :whistling: ... or if there is anybody reading this who is in my map, they would not use this information against me... but i'm sure no one would ;) ;) ... or is :D ) But, I will soon see how combat plays out in 1.5 8o
    Torpedo28000
    Main Administrator

The post was edited 3 times, last by Torpedo28000 ().

• Day 2 summary. (Unlikely to be able to keep up daily summaries lol, but while I have the free time :)

As soon as day 2clicked over I researched rocket arty. After seeing Syria's stack of 11 on myborder, and Iraq previously attacking me. And saudi moving in and cutting meoff in Hezaj, so not my borders are ugly and are not connected. I determined itwas likely war would break out with them… so I decided to gold speed up my RAand began producing it. I had saved up some rss on day 1 so I could afford tospam these troops out ASAP!

Day change is atabout 10pm for me, which also meant I could have a few RA built by the time Iwoke up, and I could have them in position for war at about 11pm USA time(assuming this is when most players are from). This used up a significantamount of rares as they are quite pricy. I was however able to keep one queuerunning throughout the night, but I was unable to build RA and motor inf at thesame time. But, I was able to produce one RA every 3.45 hours at a constantflow.

In my map,Yugoslavia announced to the world he would be going AI to play a 4x speedevent. So I am now sending a few inf to maybe take some empty cities :). Again,as no - moral penalty I feel it is worth attacking even for one province andslowly advancing. I noticed 5 troops on Yugo coast, so I am also nowresearching building some CLs to bombard them. Looking back, it probably wouldhave been wiser to go for BBs instead.

I built a lvl 3 ICin my metal and rare province as I was lacking these rss the most. Afterspamming out as many RA as possibly it left my rares being my highest issue.With about 5h until next day change I also built a lvl 3 IC in my foodprovince. I am focusing heavily on Motor inf so food is a large issue for mern, although for me, everything but goods I am low/out of. I am not buildinganything for ordinance yet, maybe the occasional AT/AA but not a heavy focus onit.

Regarding rss as ofalmost end of day 2. I have been able to reliably produce one troop at a time,but I cannot afford two units at once. It is more one troop at 100% efficiency,and a second troop at 50% efficiency. Whether this is not enough I really cannotsay. While I would like to produce more troops. Given one troop production onaverage is produced 4x faster than 1.0. I would say troop production speed forthe number of troops I can pump out per day is probably similar, or in favourof 1.5. At the very least, if they are identical. I believe I do prefer thismethod as I can get troops out and at the front faster, even if it is a streamof troops, rather than a clump per time. It certainly provides an advantage tothose with HC… which I have so :thumbsup:

Buildings as wellwith rss. I am currently building three buildings, but one is almost finished,one middle way though and one just started and I would be unable to constructanother for some time. So I have built 3 buildings in about a 1 day period (I thinkits more about a 20h period). I also constructed 1 Naval yard for my CL.

Gameplay time.

I waited until aprox8-10h until day change for day 3 to attack Syria, Iraq and Saudi. This is aprox11 pm or 12 am USA time. Given majority of players I have met live there, andfrom speaking to the iraq player this seems when he goes offline.

I attacked with twoarmies.

Army 1 had RA, myAA, AT, inf arty in it and began by pounding Syria's 11 stack on my border. Sofar I have killed about 8 troops with this army.

Army 2 consisted of3 MI (motor inf) and 6 AC with the goal of running through Hezaj and aroundEgypts defended province to enter into his cores. I have so far captured 1 cityand have also been able to capture 1 Attack bomber and rocket stationed on theground :D. This stack moves real fast and also does some strong damage to infand even armoured. I was able to wipe a LT with three MI in 2 tics.

While blitzkrieg inCoW is not really possible as one cannot damage supply. These faster troopscertainly can enable a player to use blitz and lightning fast attacks which isgreat. So I really like the faster troops as a whole, but esp MI, and AC. Especiallyfor an active player like myself, I have nothing but enjoyment for runningaround a nation fast after I have wiped or engaged their main stack. I think italso as a side benefit means mega stacks are less viable again as one can runaround you faster.

Faster attacks from60-30 mins in this war was great. Meant less waiting time and enabled again fora faster blitz war.
    However, givenmovement speed was increased by 15%, perhaps embarking and disembarking timesshould also be lowered by 15%? I am landing in Syria's island and also inyugoslavian controlled greece and the embarking time feels longer as troops canmove around faster - ofc they are not slower, but as everything else is movingfaster, they are kind of moving slower, if my thinking for this makes sense. Ialso feel given troops can move faster, and also fight faster (30 min tics)landings will be harder as one can react to them faster and kill your troopsfaster, thus I think lowering these times would be beneficial.

Additionally, asplanes do 25% damage on patrols every 15 mins. But troops now do damage every30 mins. Is there a possibility of changing planes damage to 50% every 15 mins,or 25% every 7.5 mins? This would keep planes patrolling attacks equal with thenew combat tics.

Overall, day 2 hasbeen very enjoyable, rss feel less than in 1.0, but as I explained I think thiscould be due to troops taking less time to finish. Thus, it appears there areless rss as we do not have constantly not enough production centres. However,buildings do feel a little expensive as I can only build rn 3 in a day whereasin 1.0 we could keep building 5-6 buildings at once, and the building speed issimilar. And their early benefits are similar to a lvl 2 infra a little bitless until day 4 (assuming the 45% rss at lvl 4 from 40% at lvl 3 is incorrectand it is meant to be higher), but also we must build troop production buildings which do not increase rss generation.

My war against theME is going well, although so far my enemies are sleeping so I will have towait for their counter attack on day 3, but it has been very entertaining running around Syria and bombarding Syrias stack faster :evil:

Image of land as of end of day 2. - war going quite well against the ME :thumbup:
    Images
    • Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 9.36.36 pm.png

322.3 kB, 738×404, viewed 6 times
    Torpedo28000
    Main Administrator

• Torpedo28000 wrote:

Early game units:

Just my little summary of the troops as of day 2 with the axis doctrine - I will likely make a list of my thoughts on every unit later as I use more.

I have been building a lot of AC, motor inf (as I am axis I can get it day 1), these two troops seem very strong early game as AC are great against unarmoured (UA). And motor inf… omg this troop looks great and so far is amazing! I really like how it is offensively designed and I think it gives this unit a really great use, mechanised infantry also looks great. But so far, from my experience and also my allies, motorised inf is performing very well and is carving through enemy inf like butter… and while I have not done much fighting yet, from watching my allies and their comments they are feeling great… I will get my chance to use these soon :evil:

I also really like the speed of motor inf and AC. It feels as though we can really outmaneuver players as their speed is almost 2x as much, so with the -50% speed in enemy land, AC move only slightly slower than an enemy inf and motor inf moves faster. I have planned my war to run into the enemy land with AC and motor inf, and I should be able to capture land faster than inf can reinforce which is pretty awesome.

I have built subs, so far I cannot comment on these as I am yet to use them for anything but scouting, perhaps the view range of subs could be increased as a coastal scouting troop, or have the view range as you research it? But otherwise I do not have anything to add… yet XD

I am also building up some Cruisers, as I said in my previous post, my ally used his CLs to attack costal troops, so I decided to stop mooching off my allies and am building my own to help bombard coastal locations in the med. Being able to get CLs, or maybe even BBs for this task day 1 is imo really cool, I will speak about it in my day 2-3 recap, but I wanted to say it again. I really like how we can get these troops day 1. Also how DD now do small, but some damage to ground troops is nice… and I also like the concept of how BBs outrange arty.

I built two artillery and have been spamming out a bunch of rocket artillery. I feel as though artillery should be buffed for its light armour (LA) damage.

As a summary for rocket arty vs arty at lvl 1:

Rocket arty does does 0.9 more light armour damage

0.8 less heavy armour damage

And 3.5 more inf damage,

Given there are not many heavy armour (HA) troops early game arty seems to me to be not so useful this early on. Even later game there is only a 2 damage difference between rocket arty and normal arty, I think that this makes either Rocket arty (RA) too strong, or arty too weak. I think the LA should either be buffed on arty, or reduced on RA to give arty more of a use, esp early game. Otherwise I would not build any arty probably until day 6-8 when HA troops start becoming more available. And likely less as RA can do pretty well against LA.

Given the new value to stop revolts is 10, I think infantry strength value should be increased to 6 each not 5 (Also whether doctrines impact this as well, so my axis troops are stronger so the comintern would ned 3 inf most likely?). This is because if one infantry suffers even one HP damage, two inf will not be enough to ensure there will be no revolt, either risking a very low revolt chance with two inf, or requiring three inf to hold the province (I currently have two inf at 94% condition and their strength is 9.9, so in the next patch when it goes from 13.5 back to 10, two inf would not be enough to stop a revolt), and imo 6% taken should not be enough to force an additional inf needed to guard the province from revolt, esp as likely you take damage fighting. Perhaps even going up to 5.5 instead of 5 would help this. This however likely would just be an issue day 1-4 until inf is researched up. But something I think is just annoying for players :)

LT for me just don't feel they give enough early game. They will only be great fighting other LTs or AC, but an AT will do a better job (defending tho). AC will also do more damage against infantry units which early game are more used so far, and also given we start with the inf, I believe AC early game with its also far stronger inf defence is a better unit. Late game I see how the LT will be the better choice, early game AC appear to be. Not a pro or con really, just felt I would say this as in 1.0 LT spam was very powerful early on.

I have not gone for any air force yet. I am actually low on rares. I saw your post on it. But rn rare materials are actually my 2nd largest rss issue (metal my primary one), but a few hours ago I was lowest on rares. I did however spam out a huge amount of RA (again my day 2-3 summary will go through this), but rares for me are also an issue (by issue I mean I am low/don’t have any other them). But, I do think increasing starting amounts of metal, goods and food would be great for AC, motor inf, AT, AA units that so far I am seeing more of early on, as I did run out of them immediately.

I am also preparing to attack Syria, Iraq and Saudi solo so wish me luck everyone... I fear I may need it :/ :evil: (Hope they aren't reading this :whistling: :whistling: ... or if there is anybody reading this who is in my map, they would not use this information against me... but i'm sure no one would ;) ;) ... or is :D ) But, I will soon see how combat plays out in 1.5 8o
    Thanks again. Glad you like some aspects in particular.

Yes you are right that we need to rebalance arty vs. rocket arty some more, will note it down for the next balancing iteration.

Regarding revolt chances: Keep in mind though that the value for cow1.0 was 6, so also there you also needed 2 infs to suppress a revolt and as soon as one of them was damaged it was not enough to reduce the chance to 0% anymore. Also in 1.5 units gain more power when leveling up compared to 1.0, so with increasing unit levels it will become easier to prevent revolts in 1.5 compared in 1.0. But we can think about lowering the strength needed to suppress a revolt by 1 point. Likely not increasing inf damage to achieve this as this would have alot of influences on other units as well.

Yep AC is designed to do a better job vs. unarmored targets, but due to the rock-paper-scissors system you cannot rely on ACs alone, as they are countered by LTs, thus giving LTs their role. If you are fighting vs. more inactives or inexperienced players right now who focus more on infs of course ACs may be a better choice for now, but in a serious battle with an experienced player you probably need LTs in this balancing triangle. Plus defensive units are harder to use than offensive units. But in general we will probably look into unit some comparisons and rebalance things a bit in upcoming balancing iterations.

Torpedo28000 wrote:

Day 2 summary. (Unlikely to be able to keep up daily summaries lol, but while I have the free time :)

As soon as day 2clicked over I researched rocket arty. After seeing Syria's stack of 11 on myborder, and Iraq previously attacking me. And saudi moving in and cutting meoff in Hezaj, so not my borders are ugly and are not connected. I determined itwas likely war would break out with them… so I decided to gold speed up my RAand began producing it. I had saved up some rss on day 1 so I could afford tospam these troops out ASAP!

Day change is atabout 10pm for me, which also meant I could have a few RA built by the time Iwoke up, and I could have them in position for war at about 11pm USA time(assuming this is when most players are from). This used up a significantamount of rares as they are quite pricy. I was however able to keep one queuerunning throughout the night, but I was unable to build RA and motor inf at thesame time. But, I was able to produce one RA every 3.45 hours at a constantflow.

In my map,Yugoslavia announced to the world he would be going AI to play a 4x speedevent. So I am now sending a few inf to maybe take some empty cities :). Again,as no - moral penalty I feel it is worth attacking even for one province andslowly advancing. I noticed 5 troops on Yugo coast, so I am also nowresearching building some CLs to bombard them. Looking back, it probably wouldhave been wiser to go for BBs instead.

I built a lvl 3 ICin my metal and rare province as I was lacking these rss the most. Afterspamming out as many RA as possibly it left my rares being my highest issue.With about 5h until next day change I also built a lvl 3 IC in my foodprovince. I am focusing heavily on Motor inf so food is a large issue for mern, although for me, everything but goods I am low/out of. I am not buildinganything for ordinance yet, maybe the occasional AT/AA but not a heavy focus onit.

Regarding rss as ofalmost end of day 2. I have been able to reliably produce one troop at a time,but I cannot afford two units at once. It is more one troop at 100% efficiency,and a second troop at 50% efficiency. Whether this is not enough I really cannotsay. While I would like to produce more troops. Given one troop production onaverage is produced 4x faster than 1.0. I would say troop production speed forthe number of troops I can pump out per day is probably similar, or in favourof 1.5. At the very least, if they are identical. I believe I do prefer thismethod as I can get troops out and at the front faster, even if it is a streamof troops, rather than a clump per time. It certainly provides an advantage tothose with HC… which I have so :thumbsup:

Buildings as wellwith rss. I am currently building three buildings, but one is almost finished,one middle way though and one just started and I would be unable to constructanother for some time. So I have built 3 buildings in about a 1 day period (I thinkits more about a 20h period). I also constructed 1 Naval yard for my CL.

Gameplay time.

I waited until aprox8-10h until day change for day 3 to attack Syria, Iraq and Saudi. This is aprox11 pm or 12 am USA time. Given majority of players I have met live there, andfrom speaking to the iraq player this seems when he goes offline.

I attacked with twoarmies.

Army 1 had RA, myAA, AT, inf arty in it and began by pounding Syria's 11 stack on my border. Sofar I have killed about 8 troops with this army.

Army 2 consisted of3 MI (motor inf) and 6 AC with the goal of running through Hezaj and aroundEgypts defended province to enter into his cores. I have so far captured 1 cityand have also been able to capture 1 Attack bomber and rocket stationed on theground :D. This stack moves real fast and also does some strong damage to infand even armoured. I was able to wipe a LT with three MI in 2 tics.

While blitzkrieg inCoW is not really possible as one cannot damage supply. These faster troopscertainly can enable a player to use blitz and lightning fast attacks which isgreat. So I really like the faster troops as a whole, but esp MI, and AC. Especiallyfor an active player like myself, I have nothing but enjoyment for runningaround a nation fast after I have wiped or engaged their main stack. I think italso as a side benefit means mega stacks are less viable again as one can runaround you faster.

Faster attacks from60-30 mins in this war was great. Meant less waiting time and enabled again fora faster blitz war.
    However, givenmovement speed was increased by 15%, perhaps embarking and disembarking timesshould also be lowered by 15%? I am landing in Syria's island and also inyugoslavian controlled greece and the embarking time feels longer as troops canmove around faster - ofc they are not slower, but as everything else is movingfaster, they are kind of moving slower, if my thinking for this makes sense. Ialso feel given troops can move faster, and also fight faster (30 min tics)landings will be harder as one can react to them faster and kill your troopsfaster, thus I think lowering these times would be beneficial.

Additionally, asplanes do 25% damage on patrols every 15 mins. But troops now do damage every30 mins. Is there a possibility of changing planes damage to 50% every 15 mins,or 25% every 7.5 mins? This would keep planes patrolling attacks equal with thenew combat tics.

Overall, day 2 hasbeen very enjoyable, rss feel less than in 1.0, but as I explained I think thiscould be due to troops taking less time to finish. Thus, it appears there areless rss as we do not have constantly not enough production centres. However,buildings do feel a little expensive as I can only build rn 3 in a day whereasin 1.0 we could keep building 5-6 buildings at once, and the building speed issimilar. And their early benefits are similar to a lvl 2 infra a little bitless until day 4 (assuming the 45% rss at lvl 4 from 40% at lvl 3 is incorrectand it is meant to be higher), but also we must build troop production buildings which do not increase rss generation.

My war against theME is going well, although so far my enemies are sleeping so I will have towait for their counter attack on day 3, but it has been very entertaining running around Syria and bombarding Syrias stack faster :evil:

Image of land as of end of day 2. - war going quite well against the ME :thumbup:
    Nice read as well.

Regarding the embarking times: Well we must leave a reason in the game to build the new Local Port building, right? :D I think its fair that landing is not made easier, considering you can charge into the country faster after landing is complete. Must retain some possibility for players to react.

Patrol time was deliberately left at 15min. We could change it easily to 7.5min but we don't want to, to keep direct attacks with planes as a valid option as well. Since direct attacks were indirectly nerfed by longer refueling times, lowering the patroling damage would nerf them even further. But the idea is that once you have a high level airstrips that your damage output becomes higher by going for direct attacks. Patroling has the advantage to staying in the air and not making your planes vulnerable.

I think that resources feel so sparse compared to 1.0 mainly because of the low production times and the lower starting amount, but that in the end the unit output is pretty similar, if you would count troops in a 1.0 and 1.5 game.

Good luck with your war :)
  • Day 3!

Now, I am going to be delaying my posting by a few days, for reason's I believe you are now aware of Freezy :), and if not you specifically, I think it is in my games best interest to delay reporting exactly what troops and plans I am making given who is in my map :evil:

Not a whole lot to report on day 3. My economy is starting to increase quite nicely, taking some caps has really helped with that. I certainly agree that the low production times is what causes it to feel like a rss sparsity.

I will have to disagree about rare materials being very abundant early game. Yes day 1 there is little use for them. But, from day 2 onwards rares and food have been my equal issues. With RA being very powerful spamming out this troops is quite effective. I have been constantly or trying to constantly produce this troop as is is very powerful. (possibly too powerful). I have not actually been able to afford an air force and keep up production with RA. And I am just turned day 4 with +704/hr rare production. I have been also focusing on my economy. But, I would have to say, past day 2.5, rares are a limiting rss. And for my 4 other allies we are all experiencing the same thing.

We are also finding we have a surplus of goods. I think this is largely due to how arty feels quite weak and RA super strong, esp this early with HA not being used yet, there is no point of building arty over RA (RA has higher UA and LA values - we already discussed changing this ofc). So, perhaps switching the rare cost for RA to goods? I will ofc continue to monitor it. But with planes needing rares as their primary rss, MT and HT as well, and ordinance troops imo being more of a secondary troop (AA, AT, etc are not offensive troops but ones to counter an enemy imo, goods will not be as needed). So moving RA rares for goods could perhaps solve this. I also wish to stress that I cannot afford even plane research and continued production of 1 RA at a time while building eco buildings for every rss.

I have attached a screen shot of my rss productions to emphasise this. I wish to stress how much of each rss I have is not important as I am saving for different buildings and troops capturing capitals and land and generally I like to not save rss, as rss stockpiling are rss wasted imo. But what the productions /hr are. As this is a reflection of what rss I am needing as I upgrade according to what rss I am in need of the most. Throughout the day I have also been selling goods to purchase additional rares and oil.

Now, on my map, the rare market price is pretty low, but this is because so far the players are not building RA... which i believe soon will become the meta troop to build. I will post some WH reports, however you could also ask/look at the newspaper as well to see the devastating impact RA is having (meaning once players realise how effective it is, it is more likely to be used and thus rares being needed). In addition, should you wish for a visual to add to my written summaries, feel free to send a share map from North Argentina :)

Casualties since the beginning of this war - using RA armies vs players using artillery to demonstrate why I believe it is going to become a key troop soon for most players.
    Syria - 19,982
    Egypt - 3,167

Iraq - 16,928
    Egypt - 728

Ethiopia - 1,698
    Belgian Congo - 10,877

Ethiopia - 2,089
    South Africa - 6,880

There is ofc a chance RA is so effective as it is also strong against LA as well rn, so when that change occurs it become weaker. I think it will be important to keep looking at this.

As a final note. Combat in 1.5 so far has been A blast!!! Faster tics and movement has resulted in battles not feeling so slow. The new 50% combat mechanic I am still working around it feels different for sure, not formed a + or - opinion on that one yet, need to see how it plays out more.
    Images
    • Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.45.37 pm.png

30.54 kB, 778×46, viewed 4 times
    Torpedo28000
    Main Administrator

• :D

Well yeah of course you lack rares the most if you try to spam mostly Rocket Artys :D But considering the whole picture and all different playing styles, Rares are probably more abundant than other resources in the first days of a game. Maybe spamming RA is also so effective because rares are so abundant and you can build so many RA in the early game? It always depends on the angle you are looking from :D
    But yeah we already discussed rebalancing rocket arty vs. normal arty, which I have on the list for the next balancing iteration.
  • And my summary is back ^^ Hopefully enough delay not to hurt my game too much :thumbup:

Day 4-5.
    Mostly a focus on industry and production capability.

On day 4 many players around me became inactive, so there was no real reason to continue to buff up my ground army as it was easily strong enough to take on the AIs. However, a South American coalition was forming and sending convoys to embark into the water so we decided to test how subs fight (we learned some interesting things ) and declared war :evil: . As such I shifted my focus to building up a navy and researching one. So I began to increase my oil and metal production as well as research ships and build up ports to produce them. I was able to start building higher lvl Ind (industries) of lvl 4 and 5 which are incredibly satisfying to build as you can visually see every few hours how much of an impact they create (in cores).

As someone who generally tends to stick as far away from naval combat as possible I decided to start my 1.5 journey with it to determine if perhaps my decision that navy was simply too expensive in upkeep to be really needed was still correct. (For reference, my BB stats are about 1:42 as I never build BBs and have only in total built 14 Carriers). With the sliding upkeep scale, along with more spread out rss consumptions I am very hopeful building up a navy will be more balance-able with other armoured troops. In 1.0 I cannot ever afford air, armoured ground and navy so skip the navy. I also want to research everything to determine how well I can go about attempting to build a totally balanced army from every research and building aspect.

I also felt I may as well start practising naval combat in 1.5 and when it becomes more official I won't, like in 1.0 have such little experience in naval fighting, it is almost not practical for me to partake in naval battles. (Apart from sub spam, I haven't really done any naval fighting). Here is hoping it isn't a total disaster for me lol.

Edit as I post this:... it so far has been a disaster lol X/ :D My years of neglecting naval capital ships fights might have finally caught up to me :wallbash Even as I post this, I suspect i'm about to lose yet another small fleet LOL ;(

Troops producing faster results in less production buildings being needed which I personally think is a good change. Additionally it no longer takes 5+ days to go from lvl 0-lvl 3 port to begin building capital ships which was always a real deterrence for me.

As an additional interesting thing to note. I have been having large rare issues. But, when day 4 came and players went AI, it appears to me the AI sold a bunch of rares. As rare price dropped to about 1.5, and I was able to purchase about 40k, with my allies also purchasing about 10-20k rares each. This really helped my rare issue as day 5 the rare market costs where still down. At many points I could have purchased at 1.5 and sold at 3.8, if I needed the cash more than rares. Given my current focus on my economy, and research I am currently doing great on Manpower. However, my two of my allies have been building troops and now their MP production is limiting them, not rss. Something to keep an eye on if this is solely due to early game issues (like in 1.0) or is a constant limiting rss.

Overall, not much to report. Higher lvl ind feel very satisfying and great to build. Needing fewer ports so far is something that I believe enables faster reactions and enables a faster build up which is also a positive. The game so far certainly feels faster paced, which for an active player I personally love.
    Torpedo28000
    Main Administrator

The post was edited 5 times, last by Torpedo28000 ().

• Torpedo28000 wrote:

I also felt I may as well start practising naval combat in 1.5 and when it becomes more official I won't, like in 1.0 have such little experience in naval fighting, it is almost not practical for me to partake in naval battles. (Apart from sub spam, I haven't really done any naval fighting). Here is hoping it isn't a total disaster for me lol.

Edit:... it so far has been lol X/ :D My years of neglecting naval capital ships fights might have finally caught up to
    Yes naval ships are much more powerful in 1.5 now. I have a large navy and it’s really helping me for both offense and defense in my game as New Zealand.
  • Overall liking whats happening here, the fact that you can get a BB out quickly changes the dynamic.

Big issue I am having is man power which is fine, as that makes sense but tying man power to factories seems wrong maybe go back to Barracks.

Also, still wishing for a way to disband units to get a percentage of their resources back plus get them off the daily maintenance roles. Please can we get something like this. (Pretty please with sugar on top)

Otherwise looking good.

AK3
  • 2 thumbs up for v1.5! It has everything I love about CoW, but with enhancements like new units and capabilities to really keep the game fresh.

A drawback, however, is that there's very little documentation so far. The stealth feature of commandos adds a great new dimension to war strategy. But I have questions:

Are commandos hidden when stacked with other units?
    Are commandos hidden when in a convoy (alone)? How about when embarking? Disembarking?
    Are commandos hidden from planes?

Thanks!
  • RiverWolf74 wrote:

I’m having manpower issues too. I’m just making industries in all my provinces that produce more than 400 manpower a day.
    In general the game is balanced in a way that you can make troops, buildings and researches at the same time. If you only focus on one of those, you likely are lacking certain resources.

This said I also noticed that the manpower cost increase with rising unit levels is a bit too steep, so we will lower manpower costs for higher unit levels.

RiverWolf74 wrote:

I think bytro needs to add more manpower and decrease FOOD! I have like 100,000+ food...and no manpower.
    From what I see so far food is being requested the most on the market. Maybe because AIs love unarmored units :D So you could use it to generate some cash.

thedone wrote:

2 thumbs up for v1.5! It has everything I love about CoW, but with enhancements like new units and capabilities to really keep the game fresh.

A drawback, however, is that there's very little documentation so far. The stealth feature of commandos adds a great new dimension to war strategy. But I have questions:

Are commandos hidden when stacked with other units?
    Are commandos hidden when in a convoy (alone)? How about when embarking? Disembarking?
    Are commandos hidden from planes?

Thanks!
    Hidden when stacked, not hidden when a convoy. Certain planes (Interceptors, Naval Bombers) can reveal stealth units.