Call of War 1.5 iteration 3: Balancing changelog

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• freezy wrote:

Balhog wrote:

Got an interesting surprise from 1.5 combat. Apparantly 1st level Infantry units can sink Cruisers. Keep in mind that an infantry unit in early world war 2 carried the equivelent of today's hunting rifle as a weapon.

The infantry actually go into the water and block the cruiser from existing, like a sub. Doesn't make a whole lot of historical combat sense, but hey, if that's the new rule, it changes a lot.
    Land units do damage to naval units in order to be able to sink disembarking troop convoys (which have the naval armor class). Surely player want to keep doing that, as it has been a staple in the game, therefore lang units need damage vs. naval units.Realistically speaking you can imagine this as follows: A ship which is parked directly on the shoreline is considered as anchoring at land. Therefore land units can try to board the ship and overthrow the crew. You don't need explosive firepower for that. This said, and Infantry regiment in the game consists of more than just riflemen, it is considered to also have mortars, grenadiers etc.
    So if you don't want your ships to be hurt by coastal troops, try to not place them directly on the coastline :)
    And surely they can board the submarine under the water, it's coast area and water is no deep enough to make man drown:)
  • Akulla3D wrote:

What happens when you attack a unit that is in the middle of an upgrade? Do they get their old stats? Or are they so disorganized that they are easy to attack?
    They use their old stats until the upgrade is completed. They will only defend against attacks (using their defensive stats).

Tasmine wrote:

And surely they can board the submarine under the water, it's coast area and water is no deep enough to make man drown:)
    A submarine which is locked in combat is considered to be emerged, that's why it is also seen. So luckily the men don't even have to dive :)
  • freezy wrote:

Akulla3D wrote:

What happens when you attack a unit that is in the middle of an upgrade? Do they get their old stats? Or are they so disorganized that they are easy to attack?
    They use their old stats until the upgrade is completed. They will only defend against attacks (using their defensive stats).

Tasmine wrote:

A submarine which is locked in combat is considered to be emerged, that's why it is also seen. So luckily the men don't even have to dive :)
    Thanks Freezy. One more question about upgrades, say you are in the middle of an upgrade and suddenly need that unit can you cancel it so you can use the unit.
  • Akulla3D wrote:

Thanks Freezy. One more question about upgrades, say you are in the middle of an upgrade and suddenly need that unit can you cancel it so you can use the unit.
    If you don't mind, allow me to answer that question. Once you have started the upgrade it cannot be cancelled. This is also stated in the window that opens when you click on the upgrade button.
  • Agent47 wrote:

Akulla3D wrote:

If you don't mind, allow me to answer that question. Once you have started the upgrade it cannot be cancelled. This is also stated in the window that opens when you click on the upgrade button.
    Keeping with the upgrade issue I would like to suggest a nice to have.

- It would be cool if you were a High Command member that you could que up unit upgrades like you que up other items.

Thanks.
  • Economic Balance Issue

Just was shown a game on 3300360

On day two there was a great disparity in economic values and this is a game where no one was allowed to move on days 1 and 2 to attack anyone.

Finland 59551
    Canada 56572
    Egypt 42125

Now if all countries started with about the same hourly production the difference should be accounted for by factories and morale. However that is not the case.

What you have is some major cities have substantially higher BASE production than others even though the over all country values may be the same. As such when you have some thing like producing 7354 without a factory and another 5394 with a factory there is a problem.. If a country has several provinces with iron deposits the disadvantage is increased because where the first case there is one factory to be built in the other there are 3 ./

I think we need a review of the economics at start with the understanding of the cost of development.
  • Hi @EZ Dolittle, at first I also made the mistake to think of that as a bug on the CoW1.5 European map. But at least in my case it was only the bonus that new players receive in their first game.
    Some of them are routed onto CoW1.5 European maps instead of the CoW1.0 tutorial maps.
    Although I wouldn't have expected this to be the case also for manually created CoW1.5 European maps(as you've obviously joined), I assume that also explains the disparity on your map. Please check if Finland and Canada are very new players. If not, please let us know!
  • Canada has played in 120 games
    Finland in 50 games.

So the problem is NOT the new player bonus.

Economic Balance Issue

On day two there was a great disparity in economic values and this is a game where no one was allowed to move on days 1 and 2 to attack anyone.

Finland 59551
    Canada 56572
    Egypt 42125

Now if all countries started with about the same hourly production the difference should be accounted for by factories and morale. However that is not the case.

What you have is some major cities have substantially higher BASE production than others even though the over all country values may be the same. As such when you have some thing like producing 7354 without a factory and another 5394 with a factory there is a problem.. If a country has several provinces with iron deposits the disadvantage is increased because where the first case there is one factory to be built in the other there are 3 ./

I think we need a review of the economics at start with the understanding of the cost of development.
  • Hans A. Pils wrote:

Hi @EZ Dolittle, at first I also made the mistake to think of that as a bug on the CoW1.5 European map. But at least in my case it was only the bonus that new players receive in their first game.
    Some of them are routed onto CoW1.5 European maps instead of the CoW1.0 tutorial maps.
    Although I wouldn't have expected this to be the case also for manually created CoW1.5 European maps(as you've obviously joined), I assume that also explains the disparity on your map. Please check if Finland and Canada are very new players. If not, please let us know!
    Hans is correct that this is due to the tutorial bonus.

EZ Dolittle wrote:

Canada has played in 120 games
    Finland in 50 games.

So the problem is NOT the new player bonus.

Economic Balance Issue

Game 3300360 is a beta game. Whenever a player plays his/her first beta game, they start the tutorial again. I think this was implemented back in the day to let beta players catch any problems during the tutorial for us. This then also triggers the mentioned tutorial resource bonus for that player.

I know it is an issue. I will bring it up in the team again that we should not trigger it on beta anymore. It can't be fixed retroactively for your game though, sorry.

With the map itself everything is fine, there is no balancing issue.
  • El Cazador wrote:

<p>On a matter of improvement, I went to improve my submarine to level 2, as I had 4, separating the 2 for improvement. And the enemy was coming with a destroyer, so I gathered the 4 submarines and pulled them out. Automatically or submarine that was in the process of improvement was canceled. Is that a mistake?</p>
    It shouldn't be possible to cancel the upgrading process. When I tried it, it did not work. But I would forward it to our QA to verify.

edit: We checked but couldnt reproduce this exact situation. For us the upgrading of the submarines was not canceled. So I assume in your case it may not have started properly or was finished already.
  • Freezy a couple of questions about the finer points of the game.

Commandos are stealth.

Are they stealth when in a stack with other units? (that is to say if an opponent can see into the stack will he see them too)
    If a commando is traveling by sea can they be seen by opponents?
    If a commando attacks an empty province once the battle is over are they stealth again or if they move away?

~~~~~

With respect to State-based damage efficiency.

It used to be that for infantry over a stack of 6 that it would make efficiency go down, I think its 10 now.
    For the sake of this question I will use 10.

If there is a stack of lets say 20 infantry and 5 are level one, 9 are level 2, and 6 are level 3. Are each level taken individually or are all the units counted towards the efficiency calculation?

Thanks having fun with the game.

AK3
  • Akulla3D wrote:

Freezy a couple of questions about the finer points of the game.

Commandos are stealth.

Are they stealth when in a stack with other units? (that is to say if an opponent can see into the stack will he see them too)
    If a commando attacks an empty province once the battle is over are they stealth again or if they move away?

~~~~~

It used to be that for infantry over a stack of 6 that it would make efficiency go down, I think its 10 now.

If there is a stack of lets say 20 infantry and 5 are level one, 9 are level 2, and 6 are level 3. Are each level taken individually or are all the units counted towards the efficiency calculation?

AK3
    Once again I hope you don't mind me answering your (second) question:

The stack limit only includes your 10 strongest units. For your example this means that the 6 level 3 infrantry and 4 of the level 2 infrantry will deal damage to enemy armies. All units still constribute their health points to the army's health so you can still use extra units to soak up damage.
  • Akulla3D wrote:

Commandos are stealth.

~~~~~

AK3
    for yu our first question, commandos are still hidden when in a stack, but the rest of the units aren’t
  • Akulla3D wrote:

Commandos are stealth.

~~~~~

AK3
    Other helpful users answered your questions correctly already, thanks for that :)

Regarding the still open questions:

Commandos are visible when at sea.
    Once they are out of battle Commandos are stealth again.
  • freezy wrote:

Akulla3D wrote:

Commandos are stealth.

~~~~~

AK3
    Other helpful users answered your questions correctly already, thanks for that :)
    Regarding the still open questions:

Commandos are visible when at sea.
    Once they are out of battle Commandos are stealth again.
    Great thanks.