Three steps to getting the most out of the stockmarket

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Three steps to getting the most out of the stockmarket

1. Show initiative.

Check the Stock Market often. The AI (and even, I suppose the human?) players will occasionally post a sell/purchase item at worse odds than already exist on the market. This can be exploited by taking both the sell and the buy offer to end up with a little extra cash and no actual resource exchange.

Example:

Food: Buy for 6.9 per resource

Food: Sell for 7.3 per resource

(This does happen. Almost daily)

If there is a large discrepancy between buying and selling offers (I've seen a 43 cash discrepancy per rare resources: 60 to 17) don't be afraid to make a new offer in between those values. Note, this can backfire.

2. Plan ahead. Resource demand fluctuates with the time of the game. Goods tend to do well in the beginning but drop off at the end. Food and Oil generally increase in value as the game progresses.

Don't let yourself get caught selling things you don't need right now and having to buy it all back at a higher price when you need it later. In fact, do that to someone else! Buy up all the food when it's going for less than 5 per. You won't regret it.

Remember that cash is a resource as well. Even though cash production quickly outpaces the cost for production of buildings and units, it is useful for spy activity. This can be used directly against you so remember what exactly is trading hands when you make a trade on the market.

3. Remember that the Stock Market is not the only way to get resources. Sometimes you just need a generous player to step in and help you out. Let the daily newspaper know what resources you're looking for.

Misc: When you make a purchase offer on the stock market your cash offering immediately disappears from your treasury. If you want to hide your wealth from the daily newspaper you can make garbage offers (1 cash per rare resource) in order to "lose" money. You can then cancel your offer after change of day.

Another reason to do the above would be if you (heaven forbid) are going to lose your capitol. [This is uncomfirmed at the moment]

If anyone has something to add/correct please do! I am interested in better being able to use the stock market to send me to victory. I hope you are too.

Cheers.

The post was edited 1 time, last by xswazse12 ().

• In a game in s1914 I bought up all of a certain resource on the stock market, then put it up for sale for ridiculously high prices. It was actually quite lucrative, but it required me to be watching the stock market all the time to buy off any potential competitors, so I didn't do it after that.
      Forum Gang Premier

you are a balls