Retreat Option

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Retreat Option

many of us ran into a sitiuation where his/her army got stuck fighting an enemy , sometimes the enemy's force is much stronger and actually we can not do anything about it ...
      watching your army dies slowly without being able to do anything is not that good !
      and Call Of War is a game that tries to offer a realistic battle situations , however , retreating while in combat is a common thing in real life .
      i think adding it to the game will add more tactics and strategic thoughts into real application in to the game .
      however , you must not be able to retreat without losses , i think there must be an acceptable damage cost for retreating .
    • This has been discussed before, as recently as this week. When you get stuck fighting a much stronger enemy, that is the price you pay in war sometimes. If you knew the enemy was stronger you should have tried to run away/retreat before battle. If you couldn't, credit the enemy with catching you at a disadvantage. Learn from it and move on, or try to reinforce your troops, if possible, but remember, reinforce success, not failure. :wallbash
    • khaled77g wrote:

i know , i actually dont attack blindly , the problem is when i close and go for sleep for example and wake up to see 50 unit army vs my 10 unit army , in this sitiuation i made nothing wrong , and i just prefer to retreat nomore
      I always try to set my defenses when I go to sleep so nothing like that will [hopefully] happen. Sometimes it does though. C'est la guerre! :wallbash
    • khaled77g wrote:

many of us ran into a sitiuation where his/her army got stuck fighting an enemy , sometimes the enemy's force is much stronger and actually we can not do anything about it ...
      watching your army dies slowly without being able to do anything is not that good !
      and Call Of War is a game that tries to offer a realistic battle situations , however , retreating while in combat is a common thing in real life .
      i think adding it to the game will add more tactics and strategic thoughts into real application in to the game .
      however , you must not be able to retreat without losses , i think there must be an acceptable damage cost for retreating .
      This suggestion comes from time to time and maybe will be implemented indeed; sometime, and why not ..
      .. since nearly everything else will implemented too, what helps turning this once unique strategic "planning [thinking] war-game" with expedient simple graphics into a further of all the other banal "hit-and-run-quickclick-action-shootergames" with a "child-friendly optic" :rolleyes:

But even if it no longer matters, since CoW has long lost its unique status among the war games and today is just one more game among many of same / similar others (and there it's no longer one of the best, what is sad to say, but at the moment the game is unfortunately neither fish nor flesh), I would still be against this further *mosaic stone for a game mutation*.

Some of the reasons why here from a thread from early 2019:

Restrisiko wrote:

Restrisikos night thoughts about retreat ..

For various reasons retreat not exist here in the game -- remember, it's not a simulation or a shooter, but a real-time long term strategy (board) game where not all players are always at the gaming table at the same time to respond at sudden actions.

A retreat option would not only completely change the combat system but will lead the game as a whole (again) a little further away from the original strategic (thinking) game in the direction to a trivial action game.
      And it also would give gold users another enormous advantages.

Just a small example of many:
      Someone places in the evening a defense in a city and goes to bed (or in the morning and goes to work -- or whatever..) ..
      .. a "night-active" enemy attacks that city and then realizes that his troops will not make it and would be wiped out ..
      .. with "retreat" he might pull out his failing troops and save them from destruction (while he would lost them otherwise, which so far is the normal gameplay and game content) ..
      .. so on one hand the retreat will unfairly would prevent the legitimate advantage / victory of the offline opponent (because he can not react, as, for example, to pursue the fleeing troops and give them the death blow) ..
      .. and moreover, and more worse, then the retreating player may heal his units now quickly with gold and attack the now battered units of the sleeping (offline being) defender again, or attack them with other fresh units or / and in another compilation and defeat them now.

So far even numerically superior attackers has relative losses in the end, but with a retreat option, attackers can withdraw their injured troops in time and attack in waves with always fresh units and so would have much less own losses in the end.
      Of course also now you can already attack in waves (which experienced players logically also do), but you can reinforce melee troops only by further units and not avoid / reduce losses by take units out of the combat to improve their condition by regrouping them or by healing with gold if condition comes to low ..
      .. so with retreat it will be possible to undermine the whole combat system.

Theoretically, if retreat is possible, with a couple of fast tanks and a little gold padding, one could overrun every tough opponent overnight - in, out, golden, onwards and so on..

Therefore, with a "retreat" option there necessarily has at least also to be an automatic option like "tracking" or something similar for the remaining troops ..
      [.."tracking" is partly present for the AI (>>such as described here for example<<), but of course it's only recognizable in distance attacks]
      ..but a tracking option, wich could be halfway useful for players, has to be able to manage far too many variables which all has to be chosen and entered by the player; so would be too cumbersome ..
      .. but in the end, both options would equalize each other so that both would be redundant anyway.

But this game is (still) a strategic construction game and not just a shooting game -- the actual fight is just a little part of the whole challenge. Much more important is planning ahead when, where and why is what to do or sometimes maybe better not to do. You should not always try to rape this "planning game" as a Jump 'n' Run action-game, but that's exactly what the game will become like if such "blue-eyed improvements" will introduced .

Imagine, for example, besides retreat we also have the often desired disbanding of units and in addition, what is also a gladly demanded, an easier and higher availability of resources (just only 2 others of the lot of popular suggestions for improvement of the last years) -- that means to have the ability to spam units in greater numbers and reequip at will and also to attack and retreat whith them at will -- CoW would be like Pac-Man then ..
      .. does anyone really want that ..?

khaled77g wrote:

.. Call Of War is a game that tries to offer a realistic battle situations ..
      And that's the thinking mistake that also so many other players have always made!

In general: You should make yourself clear what kind of game you actually play before you make any "suggestions for improvement", what kind of game CoW actually is; well, or what kind of game CoW was ..

.. so try CoW not to play as a simple "combat simulation" (what it is definitely not), but as a strategic "planning and development game" in which you think and plan your steps far advance before you act:

Like a "Führer" of your country you sit in your "Wolfsschanze" and give instructions and commands about what, when and where to do -- but with all of the resulting micromanagement (the "little things" and also the actual fights) you have nothing to do then and especially no direct influence on what happens on the battlefield (except sending reinforcement - all other is regulated by the x-factor :00008185: ).

Yes i know it's nearly impossible to explain the shape of a pyramid to a triangle -- therefore all the stuff here in "pictography": :00008359:

How CoW was played when it was still good and challenging:

But then came the kids and others for whom it was too high and who preferred to play something like this:

And at some point, with "retreat", "disbanding of units" and "with more readily available resources"
      (all also much desired *improvements*) we even have only that >>

As always, all of this is just my own insignificant subjective opinion
      . :00008185:

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D

The post was edited 2 times, last by Restrisiko ().