1.05 combat system?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 1.05 combat system?

As stated in the from COW1 to 1.05 info
      When an army takes damage, the incoming damage is shared among all units in the army. Units only start to die when the army condition drops below 50%.
      Well, I'm currently in this game where someone sent an army of 4 heavy tanks against me. I attack it with artillery and combat aircraft. Gradually its strength is worn down. But no units die when the health decreases below 50%.
      In fact this army loses none of its 4 units untill it reaches 6% health.

Is this really the way the combat system is supposed to work? I can see the point in not letting one unit get all the damage, but this in return makes for sort of unkillable units.

Shit happens in war too. I think there should still be a fair chance of a lucky hit to individual units. Or else the win in 1.05 will be mostly about spamming the units with highest health.
    • Units retain their identities until they die. As their hit points decrease their effective strength and speed are reduced. This is the intended function.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Remember that a “unit” icon on the screen represents a great number of individuals. An infantry unit is actually a thousand men with rifles. So if you start with a thousand men calling themselves “first infantry division” then they will still be called the “first infantry division” until they are almost defeated. Sixty men with rifles are still shooting back at you when the first infantry division has 6% health left.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

As stated in the from COW1 to 1.05 info
      When an army takes damage, the incoming damage is shared among all units in the army. Units only start to die when the army condition drops below 50%.
      Well, I'm currently in this game where someone sent an army of 4 heavy tanks against me. I attack it with artillery and combat aircraft. Gradually its strength is worn down. But no units die when the health decreases below 50%.In fact this army loses none of its 4 units untill it reaches 6% health.

Is this really the way the combat system is supposed to work? I can see the point in not letting one unit get all the damage, but this in return makes for sort of unkillable units.

Shit happens in war too. I think there should still be a fair chance of a lucky hit to individual units. Or else the win in 1.05 will be mostly about spamming the units with highest health.
      The description in the manual is correct. In CoW1.5 units START to die when their condition drops below 50%. What that means is that above 50% there is no chance that the unit will die, below 50% there is a chance that the unit will die. It all depends on the amount of incoming damage:

Let's say 5 units have 200 hitpoints each, for a combined hitpoints total of 1000. They are now at 50% health, meaning 500 hitpoints in total. You attack these 5 units with an attack damage of 90. Each of the 5 units still has 100 hitpoints left. Your 90 damage are not enough to kill one of the 5 units. The hitpoints total of the 5 units drops to 410, which is 41%. Each of the 5 units now has 82 hitpoints left. Now you attack them again with 90 attack power, and now one of the units will die, because your 90 damage exceed its remaining hitpoints. If you attacked them with 180 damage instead of 90, even 2 units would have died because the incoming damage exceeds the remaining health of 2 units.

So the calculation is actually quite simple and with some math you can predict yourself when units in the enemy army will die. But remember, the chance of being killed does only start below 50% health.

In your case you must have attacked those tanks with a very low amount of attack power for them to drop as low as 6% before dying.

RiverWolf74 wrote:

I think what vorlon means is that if the units are at 6% health, they will do 6% of the damage, so it doesn’t matter if there are 4 units with 6% health or 3 units with a bit more health.
      Partly true. Damaged units indeed deal less damage and it follows a linear curve, but the curve goes from 100% damage at 100% health to 20% damage when the unit is close to 0% health. So a unit that is super duper damaged still deals 20% of its damage. This is to avoid endless battles where units only deal tiny amounts of damage.
    • freezy wrote:

The description in the manual is correct. In CoW1.5 units START to die when their condition drops below 50%. What that means is that above 50% there is no chance that the unit will die, below 50% there is a chance that the unit will die. It all depends on the amount of incoming damage:
      Let's say 5 units have 200 hitpoints each, for a combined hitpoints total of 1000. They are now at 50% health, meaning 500 hitpoints in total. You attack these 5 units with an attack damage of 90. Each of the 5 units still has 100 hitpoints left. Your 90 damage are not enough to kill one of the 5 units. The hitpoints total of the 5 units drops to 410, which is 41%. Each of the 5 units now has 82 hitpoints left. Now you attack them again with 90 attack power, and now one of the units will die, because your 90 damage exceed its remaining hitpoints.

So the calculation is actually quite simple and with some math you can predict yourself when units in the enemy army will die. But remember, the chance of being killed does only start below 50% health.

In your case you must have attacked those tanks with a very low amount of attack power for them to drop as low as 6% before dying.
      OK, thanks. That's a better explanation. :thumbup: