Morale in 1.5

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Morale in 1.5

Hello all,

I have been playing one of the World at War 1.5 speed rounds and have run into a bit of an issue.

At first expansion was going great. I am playing as Madagascar and I had most of East Africa. I moved into the Middle East/Russia and that is where the moral problems started. I noticed on day change that I had lost most of my outer provinces and that morale in the remainder was dropping. So I moved my Capitol to a more central location. For good measure I captured two enemy Capitols and went to bed happy with a job well done.

I was surprised to see that I had lost even more provinces and some of my forces were close to being cut off. Fortunately an ally who was close to the invasion made some great gains after day change so it was not all bad.

So I looked into it and saw the problem. Because of the provinces distance to the capitol the morale penalty was -60% at its farthest and even with Level 2 infrastructure, I was only getting a 12% bonus. Then you have neighbors (which, and correct me if I am wrong, includes coalition members) and enemies all dropping province morale even lower.

In addition provinces with low morale start to get their buildings damaged. The can lead to a lot of micro managing and a huge drain on resources when you have a lot of resources. I would need to triple the size of my army to put enough troops into each province.

Thankfully I have troops and infrastructure in my core provinces to morale damage was not too bad there. Sadly, the same could not be said for an ally: The moved their cap. Lost half their core. Moved the cap back. Then lost the other half including their cap.

So that is the situation. I am sat where I am trying to plug holes in my moral dam and not advancing till I get some stability.

Thank you for reading to this point. I would like to add some proactive ideas/thoughts. The morale good to have in the game. I like it as an element of the game as it does allow attacked players a chance of recovery through rebellion. It also means that a player who wants to keep a critical province needs to leave some troops there.

I think the distance from capitol mechanic needs to be capped at a lower rate or that there is a flat morale penalty regardless of distance.

Having infrastructure give a bonus is great because to me it counts as an improved supply line. Perhaps the bonus to morale could be increased slightly.

Core provinces could have a 15% morale bonus in the same way that they get a defense bonus for troops. This is the heartland after all.

As an idea there could be another research tree catering for morale. It could include the following:

- Propaganda: gives a small morale bonus for each level researched. (flyers, radio broadcasts)
      - Conscription: Improves Manpower slightly. (We Want You!)
      - Partisans: If a core province is captured and rebels then the is a chance that a level 1 Militia is also created. (resistance fighters)
      - Counter Intelligence: Small chance of hampering enemy spies. (Lose lips might sink ships)

The above are just some brainstorming ideas. I hope that they inspire :)

On a final note I would like to say that I am really enjoying 1.5 in general.

Thank you.
    • Ifanwhen wrote:

RiverWolf74 wrote:

Building infrastructure will increase morale in 1.5
      That is correct. However, as I mentioned

Ifanwhen wrote:

Because of the provinces distance to the capitol the morale penalty was -60% at its farthest and even with Level 2 infrastructure, I was only getting a 12% bonus.
      Morale still kept falling in some cases.
      You have to make infrastructure all around the area or the neighboring provinces were decrease morale in that province. Also try stationing units at important locations, even a lvl.1 militia would work, and there won’t be rebellions.
    • Ifanwhen wrote:

So I looked into it and saw the problem. Because of the provinces distance to the capitol the morale penalty was -60% at its farthest and even with Level 2 infrastructure, I was only getting a 12% bonus.

RiverWolf74 wrote:

Ifanwhen wrote:

RiverWolf74 wrote:

Ifanwhen wrote:

Because of the provinces distance to the capitol the morale penalty was -60% at its farthest and even with Level 2 infrastructure, I was only getting a 12% bonus.
      You have to make infrastructure all around the area or the neighboring provinces were decrease morale in that province. Also try stationing units at important locations, even a lvl.1 militia would work, and there won’t be rebellions.
      Thank you. I did do all of those things. Rebellions sadly still happened.

In one case the army rebelled too.
    • RiverWolf74 wrote:

Ifanwhen wrote:

RiverWolf74 wrote:

Ifanwhen wrote:

I was in the same match as him, had to move my capitol from Africa to some captured provinces in Canada (which by the way, fell shortly afterwards), wasted a lot of resources building infrastructures on my main African provinces, yet the entire country still fell in under 2 days. I literally ended up with less provinces than i initially started with.

Troops on provinces do not work, as they either rebel once with the province or the morale just keeps on going lower while the chance of rebellion goes higher, and don't you tell me that i'd need to cover all of my provinces with units, as that would require me to literally have 40+ units just sitting around doing nothing in each and every one of my provinces which would have devastating effects on the resource production.

Because of the massive -60 morale penalty in case your capitol is too far away, there is no way to expand further away than your own continent most of the time (i guess playing Australia must be a pain), not to mention it not being realistic at all, take Japan in WW2 as an example. Those guys were rapidly expanding (can't really do that in the current meta without having multiple provinces rebel, can you?) and also captured some lands far away from the mainland, for example, certain islands from the Pacific far away from Tokyo, though i didn't hear anything about those islands just claiming to not be Japanese anymore out of the blue.

If it were for me to not try to expand to Canada (the only region that i could have captured without provoking a huge coalition war), i'd have fell behind. What was i supposed to do in that case? Sit around and do nothing?
    • i highly agree i have lost many rounds only because of moral however i suggest if they make it in this way more realistic in real life when an country is captured from an enemy in the first 1-2 years they will keep attacking and rebel but then they start to calm down and accept it specially if the country is doing good with them for example building infrastructure means your doing good which will calm them down but in the game for example distance to the capital have nothing to do with moral yes going to war does something but i don't think the distance does
    • M.isreb wrote:

i highly agree i have lost many rounds only because of moral however i suggest if they make it in this way more realistic in real life when an country is captured from an enemy in the first 1-2 years they will keep attacking and rebel but then they start to calm down and accept it specially if the country is doing good with them for example building infrastructure means your doing good which will calm them down but in the game for example distance to the capital have nothing to do with moral yes going to war does something but i don't think the distance does
      Yeah I agree I don’t think Californians are unhappy the Capitol is on the other side of the country and things like that.
    • Ifanwhen wrote:

As an idea there could be another research tree catering for morale. It could include the following:

- Propaganda: gives a small morale bonus for each level researched. (flyers, radio broadcasts)
      - Conscription: Improves Manpower slightly. (We Want You!)
      - Partisans: If a core province is captured and rebels then the is a chance that a level 1 Militia is also created. (resistance fighters)
      - Counter Intelligence: Small chance of hampering enemy spies. (Lose lips might sink ships)

The above are just some brainstorming ideas. I hope that they inspire :)

Thank you.
      I would add 3 more building levels:
      Level 1 - reservation (as for Indians);
      Level 2 - concentration camps (Second Boer War);
      Level 3 - GULAG (Soviet Union).

Ifanwhen wrote:

On a final note I would like to say that I am really enjoying 1.5 in general.

Thank you.

I do too, but the moral component spoils everything. :evil: