FIX THE *** REBELIONS IN 1.5

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• but the very next day all of the red come back - now how many of you claim this is a good thing - good for the game to make a player, a customer (not a free-loader that does not buy any gold) - this massive riot flips kept me from getting at the other two players still in this game. This happened 4 or 5 times causing me to give up.
      Images
      • p5 copy.jpg

154.11 kB, 1,920×1,080, viewed 129 times
    • Agent47 wrote:

You weren't suggesting, you were talking shit. Don't act like you were being polite with your "feedback" after someone called you out.

You wanna "suggest" things and "give your opinion"? By all means do so, but do it respectfully like the rest of us.

Anyway, revolts are being addressed in the next patch, as freezy said, so let's wait and see.
      I completely disagree with the point that the OP is making, and I think calling Freezy a poor game designer was over the line, but come on Agent. You way overreacted.
    • TheMaquis wrote:

but the very next day all of the red come back - now how many of you claim this is a good thing - good for the game to make a player, a customer (not a free-loader that does not buy any gold) - this massive riot flips kept me from getting at the other two players still in this game. This happened 4 or 5 times causing me to give up.
      See, your solution is to reconquer all that territory, and then conquer Kabul before day change. None of it will revolt and, if you play correctly, it's morale will never be low enough again to be in danger.
    • I am not arguing your opinion my guy, I am arguing your tone.

TheMaquis wrote:

Freezy is a poor game designer[...]

So if you think parking units is fun game play perhaps you should change the name of the game from
      "Call of War"
      to
      "Call of Parking Lots"
      So much fun and excitement I just can not handle.
      [...]
      This kinda sounds like a personal attack to me.

Anyway, I made my point. I am gonna be cool if you are gonna be cool. Let's wait for the patch and see what our friend the "poor" game designer freezy whipped up.
    • here is another screen shot from this global 1939 game. only live players left in the game were Germany & Turkey both working as allies. Germany was only in Europe, while Turkey had taken out Italy so he also had Libya and Ethiopia. My ally Brazil had taken all of North Africa from France, except the tiny part Spain owned at the start of the game.

So take a look at the massive fragmentation caused by random morale riot flips in Africa. Also look at the large army I had to park here as the morale across Africa continually got worse. It worked its way up to 50 units needed here to retain Congo provinces as things around us steadily got worse.

Crazier still was Indonesia and Australia, where Spain some how was given almost all of the western provinces over 30 days of riot/flips even though Spain was an inactive AI player the entire game, never taking a single province.

More craziness was Germany & Turkey were given some pacific islands in riot flips and they were no where near, and I owned random chunks of Indonesia and Thailand due to random flips.

And to the suggestion to take Kabul, it was considered, but they were much bigger than Oman on the Saudi peninsula where you see (in this pic) all of my units headed at the end of this final day of the game. Note that I had just taken out the largest player in the game - Japan - riot/flips caused me to fight AI controlled India - and what I really wanted to do was invade Turkey and take on an actual living person in this game rather than fight the boredom of continual senseless battles against the AI units. Here the poor (and unrealistic) game design of -39 for distance to the capitol made this game a global riot/flip mess. Distance to the capitol gets you greater negative numbers than if you have NO FOOD or leave a stack of enemy units in the province you take when those enemy units are not on the controlling dot. Riot/flips got in the way of playing live people and diverted the game play AT the AI controlled countries. Not my idea of fun.

So it is poor game design that causes these excessive flips, the -39 for distance to the capitol is the greatest factor, and this greatest factor has nothing to do with reality, while the design team goes to incredible lengths to get all of the images of little tanks and planes and ships plus their actual name and model numbers correct. Makes no sense to me. I do not want to do away with the riot flips, just make it more reasonable. In fact flip the values of NO FOOD and DISTANCE TO THE CAPITOL. Until I know this factor is improved I will stick with the smaller maps because global maps is where this just gets out of control.

So Agent47, hope I am not hurting your feelings, and that with all of these additional paragraphs of explanation perhaps even you can understand that yes indeed that saying something is poorly designed is exactly what this Forum is about, and that it was YOU that was injecting non-conducive behavior into this discussion with your word choice.
      Images
      • global-1939 copy.jpg

110.69 kB, 1,914×1,002, viewed 129 times
    • TheMaquis wrote:

here is another screen shot from this global 1939 game. only live players left in the game were Germany & Turkey both working as allies. Germany was only in Europe, while Turkey had taken out Italy so he also had Libya and Ethiopia. My ally Brazil had taken all of North Africa from France, except the tiny part Spain owned at the start of the game.

So take a look at the massive fragmentation caused by random morale riot flips in Africa. Also look at the large army I had to park here as the morale across Africa continually got worse. It worked its way up to 50 units needed here to retain Congo provinces as things around us steadily got worse.

Crazier still was Indonesia and Australia, where Spain some how was given almost all of the western provinces over 30 days of riot/flips even though Spain was an inactive AI player the entire game, never taking a single province.

More craziness was Germany & Turkey were given some pacific islands in riot flips and they were no where near, and I owned random chunks of Indonesia and Thailand due to random flips.

And to the suggestion to take Kabul, it was considered, but they were much bigger than Oman on the Saudi peninsula where you see (in this pic) all of my units headed at the end of this final day of the game. Note that I had just taken out the largest player in the game - Japan - riot/flips caused me to fight AI controlled India - and what I really wanted to do was invade Turkey and take on an actual living person in this game rather than fight the boredom of continual senseless battles against the AI units. Here the poor (and unrealistic) game design of -39 for distance to the capitol made this game a global riot/flip mess. Distance to the capitol gets you greater negative numbers than if you have NO FOOD or leave a stack of enemy units in the province you take when those enemy units are not on the controlling dot. Riot/flips got in the way of playing live people and diverted the game play AT the AI controlled countries. Not my idea of fun.

So it is poor game design that causes these excessive flips, the -39 for distance to the capitol is the greatest factor, and this greatest factor has nothing to do with reality, while the design team goes to incredible lengths to get all of the images of little tanks and planes and ships plus their actual name and model numbers correct. Makes no sense to me. I do not want to do away with the riot flips, just make it more reasonable. In fact flip the values of NO FOOD and DISTANCE TO THE CAPITOL. Until I know this factor is improved I will stick with the smaller maps because global maps is where this just gets out of control.

So Agent47, hope I am not hurting your feelings, and that with all of these additional paragraphs of explanation perhaps even you can understand that yes indeed that saying something is poorly designed is exactly what this Forum is about, and that it was YOU that was injecting non-conducive behavior into this discussion with your word choice.
      I suggested kabul because it was the only one I could see in the screenshot. The point is, take a capitol before day change and you're problem is solved. I have, as British India, conquered all the way to Spain and never had any serious rebellion problems. It really sounds like you're just playing the game sub-optimally. Capture capitals, build huge forts/infrastructure in a few provinces so their morale will radiate outwards, let your reinforcements on the way to the front stop by and pick up any stragglers. The -39 penalty is to represent how hard it would be for, say, Germany to control Siberia, or the USA to manage all of Africa. I think it works perfectly in making your core regions far more valuable than your outlying ones.
    • -39 penalty has nothing to do with the core regions being more valuable - the 25% production rate for lands taken is the clear factor in this concept. The -39 add instability, which I think would be better if other things like food (or lack of it) were increased and this distance made less of a negative. The whole concept to move your capitol to improve this is another concept related to this that has nothing to do with reality.

perhaps if there were ways to get at a single remaining province that becomes surrounded by AI controlled non-players it would help. Need to be able to wipe the enemy out without having to make paratroopers and haul them all over the globe, especially when carriers are not exactly reliable to keep planes on their decks. Only time I used paratroopers it caused a big lock up and froze units on the screen.

it would also be a benefit if your units already on a set course would not cause you to go to war with an AI controlled country due to a morale flip - give a 24 hour pass-thru period. I for one love to off load provinces to AI so I do not have the food/goods burden from provinces I do not need.

As for playing sub-optimally, a 19 wins in 27 games over the 4 or 5 years I have followed this game is not too bad, and to be the clear winner of a global 1939 game starting as Argentina with 6 units, and planes lost due to carrier tech problems, and the massive riot/flips in this game was perhaps better than optimal. I will continue to play fast, just do not have the time for 5 or 6 month games, 50 days was enough. Thanks for your detailed input, perhaps you could see if the game designers think that some concepts are perhaps sub-optimal in enjoyable game play - can't imagine anyone thinking parking 50 units in the Congo as the entire continent of Africa around it eroded into a giant mess of random riot/flips. Note that multiple capitols were taken after I had the Congo, and still morale decreased. Parking lot is not fun play and is sub-optimal.
    • I hope I am a little less poor at my job now :)

Revolts should now be similarly easy to handle as in the time before the revolts became buggy (1+ years ago), and how it was since the inception of the game. If someone still has issues with revolts after this, please consult other players how to adjust your strategies accordingly.
    • Funnelroo wrote:

I would like to add my displeasure with the current revolt mechanics. It is hindering my enjoyment and making me seriously thinking about not playing this game.
      I enjoy rebellion mechanics and they greatly increase my pleasure at playing the game. Once you learn how to manage them they're just as much of a fun strategic element to plan around as limited resources or the X-factor.
    • eruth wrote:

Funnelroo wrote:

I would like to add my displeasure with the current revolt mechanics. It is hindering my enjoyment and making me seriously thinking about not playing this game.
      I enjoy rebellion mechanics and they greatly increase my pleasure at playing the game. Once you learn how to manage them they're just as much of a fun strategic element to plan around as limited resources or the X-factor.
      You sound like you work for the company and not a gamer, they are not realistic.
    • Funnelroo wrote:

eruth wrote:

Funnelroo wrote:

You sound like you work for the company and not a gamer, they are not realistic.
      I do not work for bytro. I'm not even out of college yet. Just because I have different tastes than you doesn't mean I am part of a conspiracy; different people like different things. I think the rebellions are the most realistic way to model unrest and the difficulty of managing a conquered people without making the game too complicated, and even if they aren't perfectly realistic nothing in CoW is. Also, why did you italicize that?
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

No, Eruth.
      It's clear by now from a few threads that you feel dedicated somehow to patronize criticism. Why?
      You are just a gamer. So just voice your own opinion in a civil manner and stop acting body guard for Bytro. They are more than capable of defending and explaining themselves.
      How am I voicing my opinion any less civily than you? I am not acting bodygaurd for bytro; I just happen to see their side on this issue and want to explain to other people why they are correct. I have no loyalties except to the truth, and Bytro happens to be on the correct side of that on this issue. If you want a thread where I argue quite stubbornly with Freezy himself, take a look here: forum.callofwar.com/index.php?…wn-the-strategy/&pageNo=1
      Again, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I have a sinister motive. I just disagree with you, and have plenty of time right now to spend on the CoW forum.