National Flag Confusion and Inconsistency

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• National Flag Confusion and Inconsistency

So a few weeks ago I contacted support directly and complained about wrong unit icons, and yesterday morning I was very happy to see that they've implemented all the changes I've requested and then some, so you can now easily tell an AT apart from a field howitzer in the floating menu. Nice!

I wonder if the same can be done about flags that could result in confusion, especially Germany and Yugoslavia in any Europe 22 map. As it stands, the medium grey used for the Imperial German flag is only a few hues apart from the grey-blue for Yugoslavia, which is visually kind of aggravating. Additionally flags for a few nations seem to change depending on the scenario, so I wonder if you can simply make them consistent across the games as we're always staying within the WW2 timeframe anyway. The ones I've noticed are :

Germany in World at War 100 / Blitzkrieg 1939 ( simplified version of nazi era war emblem with iron cross ), Germany in Historic World War ( nazi era national flag with iron cross or balkenkreuz ), Germany in Europe 22 ( Imperial national flag with strange colours ).

Spain in World at War 100 / Historic / Blitzkrieg 1939 ( Francoist national flag ), and Spain in Europe 22 ( Segunda República national flag ).

In the case of Germany, I understand the need to avoid the swastika since the Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle has pretty strict rules regarding tolerable use of the symbol in video games, but why not make all of them like the one in Historic World War ? It makes no sense to use the war emblem in Blitzkrieg 1939 since every other country uses their national flag instead of a naval jack or war emblem. Secondly, it would completely solve the confusion with Yugoslavia. Honestly, the Imperial flag makes no sense, even the Weimarer Republik flag gets you to at least 1933.

Alternatively, you could use the post 1946 SR Yugoslavia flag with the star, like so. Best option for me is still to go for the easily identifiable nazi era one, just replace swastika with a balkenkreuz.
      We're always looking for top players to play together and learn from. Apply to Tokugawa Bakufu ( alliance code : KIOTO ) if you are a like-minded individual and wish to improve your game.

Whenever feasible, one should always try to eat the rude.

• For me it's just an annoyance, but I'd imagine for the older crowd this is as confusing as the old AT / Artillery graphics.
      Files
      • Yugo flag.jpg

(3.34 kB, downloaded 46 times, last: )
      • Germany flag.jpg

(3.35 kB, downloaded 46 times, last: )
      • Germany flag.jpg

(3.35 kB, downloaded 46 times, last: )
      • Yugo flag.jpg

(3.34 kB, downloaded 46 times, last: )
      We're always looking for top players to play together and learn from. Apply to Tokugawa Bakufu ( alliance code : KIOTO ) if you are a like-minded individual and wish to improve your game.

• They should be Easily identifiable and Unique.

Also,there are locations in several games that use the WRONG flag entirely. The most glaring example is Washington state with a NON-Green flag,but instead has an Australian flag (the one with the swan ), in another map,both South China & Kashmir use the SAME flag,while Central China & Taiwan use the same flag.

Now,I Will give whomever credit for using a unique flag for South California,West Texas,and getting all the Canadian provinces correct (tho,I would have liked North Quebec to have been more Fracocentric.)
      :00000441: I am,I'm me.
    • Nice catch, I don't know anything about American state flags but yes, should all be relatively easy fixes for the devs.
      For things like "Southern Cali", "West Texas", etc. I imagine they can use the city flag / emblem of the capital.

Ah Zee wrote:

They should be Easily identifiable and Unique.

Also,there are locations in several games that use the WRONG flag entirely. The most glaring example is Washington state with a NON-Green flag,but instead has an Australian flag (the one with the swan ), in another map,both South China & Kashmir use the SAME flag,while Central China & Taiwan use the same flag.

Now,I Will give whomever credit for using a unique flag for South California,West Texas,and getting all the Canadian provinces correct (tho,I would have liked North Quebec to have been more Fracocentric.)

• Ah Zee wrote:

They should be Easily identifiable and Unique.

The China Taiwan flag thing has been brought up before. They are slightly different, but I agree one should be changed.
      DoctorDR1

Game Operator
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket

"Commander Cody, the time has come. Execute Order 66." -Sheev Palpatine
    • Thank you for addressing this issue in update 2020-06-30. :thumbup: