Distance Penalties in the World Map

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Distance Penalties in the World Map

In my game, it's day 12, and players are starting to break the 200 points mark, and already there are 14 morale penalties on the distant provinces. And it takes 1 day for my troops to get there from my capital.
      With 156 provinces, the largest nation has conquered barely 4% of the entire map. And if we're getting 14 morale penalties already, consider how much more difficult it will be to expand when a nation is even 10% of the map, or across the Ocean (I'm looking at you, Americas).

I read that the map is following the same morale penalty system as normal maps. So I was wondering, how does Bytro plan on getting any nation to 60% points with these mechanics?
    • I'm starting to think that conquering the world alone may not in fact be possible.
      Maybe it was designed to be unachievable?
      Sort of realistic in that sense, requiring the help of other players to reach that level of power, making the game harder the bigger you make your country.

Not sure how the core provinces were at 75% though, did you move the capital quite far away?
      Kalantigos
      Master Chief Petty Officer.
      Game Moderator
      EN Community Support
      Bytro Labs | Call of War
    • The factor you arent even considering at this point, which directly impacts moral... is food.

If you think the moral is bad for travel distances... just wait until your population's food consumption is equal to or greater than your entire country's food output. Even if you have maxed ICs and Infrastructure on your food provinces.

I have reached the 600 VP mark, and I am currently at a 9k food/day deficit. That's absurd.
    • Food huh?
      Well here's some food for thought, let's say that Kalantigos is right:

Kalantigos wrote:

I'm starting to think that conquering the world alone may not in fact be possible.
      Maybe it was designed to be unachievable?
      Sort of realistic in that sense, requiring the help of other players to reach that level of power, making the game harder the bigger you make your country.

If there is no offset for the morale drop, we'll have to get 60% points without conquering half the world.
      In the extreme late game, the most plausible thing to do would be to convince your allies to give you all their captured capitals and cities - by allowing you to post your troops on these cities and declaring war on them.

We wont have to capture the entire world - but instead make sure that the entire alliance has captured half the world.
    • VajraEx

If that is truly the only way to win, then this is the worst designed map ever. It's absurd to think that an entire alliance will sacrifice everything they have worked hard on for months simply to end the game.

Nobody should play this map if *that* is the win condition.
    • Hm... That varies from different personalities, really.
      Have you never had the thought, "Gosh, I wish I could have a map which makes me work together with more than just 2 people".

Nevertheless, I will agree with you. I don't think Bytro did enough beta testing on this one. The shortest route algorithms are off, and there are heck tonne of things that need some reconditioning for this specific map.
      I hope that our overlords at Bytro wake up and realize they have created a monstrosity. :p
    • I just want to say that, hiccups and all, this world map version is incredible. I love it and am spoiled on all the other maps.

In my experience it is common for there to be few enough active players in a 10 map that everyone who doesn't go inactive can conquer inactives forever. There only needs to be fighting if someone wants it instead of just racing each other against the inactives.

Even the 22 player map gets hit sometimes.

But the 100 map guarantees action.
    • How is the distance to capital exactly measured?
      I read someone saying 'air distance' ... but I always thought it was 'days from capital', so roads would shorten travel time and thus increase moral.

So...what is it exactly? And do roads and harbors help shorten the travel time (and thus moral) or is it just a figment of my imagination?
    • _Pontus_ wrote:

How is the distance to capital exactly measured?
      I read someone saying 'air distance' ... but I always thought it was 'days from capital', so roads would shorten travel time and thus increase moral.

So...what is it exactly? And do roads and harbors help shorten the travel time (and thus moral) or is it just a figment of my imagination?
      I believe infrastructure doesn't help. Probably the time an infantry unit would take without the roads.
      The past is a foreign country.