Artillery fire at will needs to be instant when in range, or at least instant return fire

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Artillery fire at will needs to be instant when in range, or at least instant return fire

When attacked by artillery of the same range, artillery takes 15 or more seconds to return fire. During this time, the offending artillery can retreat out of range. Unless you are watching and time it perfectly, you cannot usually cannot do anything about it besides tediously leave the fort and try to chase them. This is usually an unacceptable risk for someone who cannot watch full time and is under siege, so you just stay in the fort. This happened to me for 36 hours strait by someone using a timer during waking and sleep hours. It happens all the time, and even I do it sometimes, although not successive hours. Why not make fire at will setting fire instantly when an enemy is in range? or at least simultaneous return fire. The enemy troops are visible matching into the artillery range, why don't they fire when first able hit?
    • FinnDaddy wrote:

When attacked by artillery of the same range, artillery takes 15 or more seconds to return fire. During this time, the offending artillery can retreat out of range. Unless you are watching and time it perfectly, you cannot usually cannot do anything about it besides tediously leave the fort and try to chase them. This is usually an unacceptable risk for someone who cannot watch full time and is under siege, so you just stay in the fort. This happened to me for 36 hours strait by someone using a timer during waking and sleep hours. It happens all the time, and even I do it sometimes, although not successive hours. Why not make fire at will setting fire instantly when an enemy is in range? or at least simultaneous return fire. The enemy troops are visible matching into the artillery range, why don't they fire when first able hit?
      Ariteery does instant return fire if it is in range. Perhaps the other player had a higher level art. and yours couldn't fire at it.
    • There have been several good suggestions about improvements in this area. This is on the list of small improvements to be made at some point as time and resources allow.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • This has only happened to me at a frustrating level in internal alliance matches and alliance VS matches where the pressure makes it worth while. It rarely occurs in public matches other than a one shot hit and run because it is fairly tedious and not worth it if there are economic and tech advantages that outweigh any gain of free arty shots. That said, it needs to be fixed because, with some changes, this game could have a "pro" or "sport" segment of play and reduce the importance of micro management. (gold limitation option, set freeze nighttime period, limitation of changing orders rapidly).
    • Its off topic, but the freeze at night idea is a brainstorm idea originally posted in my think outside the box brainstorming topic. The topic got fairly little timely discussion and my ideas were supposed to be just conversation starters. I would have loved it if Freeze responded to it. This was just an idea to help me fit COW into my personal competitive nature, yet allow me sleep and not to get banned from COW by my wife. I can see that idea as being a problem that splits people into groups of who sleeps or works when they don't want the game to move at certain times. However, it could be an option for creating games. It might be only an 8 hour freeze, or even just 6 hour and for example the majority of people that would select it would be within 6 time zones. I honestly have set timers throughout the night when on long term business trips (away from family), or even checked COW in the middle of the night even while at home if I wake up. That is something that I never, never want to do again, and causes the risk of never playing again anytime if I piss off the MIP again (Most Important Person, AKA Honey).

Lets get some new ideas posted to my old post:
      We need to think outside the box to address low retention and frequent ghost joins in maps
    • FinnDaddy wrote:

Its off topic, but the freeze at night idea is a brainstorm idea originally posted in my think outside the box brainstorming topic. The topic got fairly little timely discussion and my ideas were supposed to be just conversation starters. I would have loved it if Freeze responded to it. This was just an idea to help me fit COW into my personal competitive nature, yet allow me sleep and not to get banned from COW by my wife. I can see that idea as being a problem that splits people into groups of who sleeps or works when they don't want the game to move at certain times. However, it could be an option for creating games. It might be only an 8 hour freeze, or even just 6 hour and for example the majority of people that would select it would be within 6 time zones. I honestly have set timers throughout the night when on long term business trips (away from family), or even checked COW in the middle of the night even while at home if I wake up. That is something that I never, never want to do again, and causes the risk of never playing again anytime if I piss off the MIP again (Most Important Person, AKA Honey).

Lets get some new ideas posted to my old post:
      We need to think outside the box to address low retention and frequent ghost joins in maps
      But that would be really annoying for people who have different sleep schedules...and it’s really different because people could live all over the world in places like U.K., US, and putting a single time zone would not be very good.
    • @RiverWolf74 Your right in that a particular match would be unplayable for those on a schedule that cant play during the games live hours. The players would need to be clearly notified of the freeze period before they joined. I would love the peaceful sleep. I just played against a buddy who is 8 hours later time zone than me, and It was very disturbing for both of us because a huge advantage is given to who is willing to sacrifice sleep. I mostly slept a good 6-7 hours, but it was still a disturbed sleep. Now, I wouldn't play all games with a freeze period, because I love to play with my friends in different time zones. So in closing, people that would be annoyed because a game doesn't fit their schedule would not be playing that particular match and could find one that fits their schedule nicely. Rest easy.
    • FinnDaddy wrote:

@RiverWolf74 Your right in that a particular match would be unplayable for those on a schedule that cant play during the games live hours. The players would need to be clearly notified of the freeze period before they joined. I would love the peaceful sleep. I just played against a buddy who is 8 hours later time zone than me, and It was very disturbing for both of us because a huge advantage is given to who is willing to sacrifice sleep. I mostly slept a good 6-7 hours, but it was still a disturbed sleep. Now, I wouldn't play all games with a freeze period, because I love to play with my friends in different time zones. So in closing, people that would be annoyed because a game doesn't fit their schedule would not be playing that particular match and could find one that fits their schedule nicely. Rest easy.
      Ok but then we will need to make a server for every time zone and every language...so that would be a LOT of servers and games would fill up SUPER slow.