Should you "waste" your troops in the Arms Race map??

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Should you "waste" your troops in the Arms Race map??

In the Arms Race map, all playable territories began with 150 units each, an impressive military yet very resource draining. If you know your Art of War, you know the best way to use them is to not use them at all and let your enemies use theirs against you, or better against each other. And that's what I quite exceedingly did, but just several hours ago I was hit by a sudden realization that it's not as simple as I thought and maybe I'll even be doomed because of it. Some context, but you can skip it to TL;DR at the bottom.

I am MO and there is an enemy coalition nearby comprising of AL, MS, ETX, and WTX. WTX turns out to be a prodigy, and jointly attacked AR with MS, but KS decided to invade WTX. ETX and MS pretty much went AFK soon after, meanwhile AL invades FL. Then the most luckiest thing seemed to happen that TN (AI) gave me RoW, and AL and MS seems to have left their core provinces completely undefended to fight in the front line. I sent a single LT and was able to conquer the whole of AL and most of MS without losing any unit!

But while this was happening WTX managed to defeat back both KS and AR alone, WTX had around 120k casualties in total from both wars, and least 3 of their core cities were damaged including having capital getting captured once. I initially ignored this and did a stupid thing by invading IL, a not yet inactive but AFK player, I managed to take some good provinces and a city with only 1 unit of infantry loss.

Then I saw that MS became inactive and WTX was almost done with only remnants of AR and KS, I managed to pull back my troops from IL without trouble but WTX stroke quickly and attacked me. My spies revealed that WTX has rebuild their armies to an armored based one with some TAC, it's up to 85 units now compared to my slower 156 units, I don't think they're a gold user by the way.

And now, from the west, south, and east my core provinces are surrounded by WTX, remnants of MS--who still has their strong units, and IL. If IL also goes inactive I fear I'll be trapped in 2-front war, but most of my worries are with WTX who surrounded me the most, they're good at tactics and has multiple flanks stationed with very mobile units, plus an air support to block my own mobile units incursions into their territory. I'm besieged and cannot defend my conquered AL and MS territories, and that my resources aren't sufficient for an attritional warfare against all of them. I fear that I'll end up like the Romans in Cannea.
      trackeasy.fun/usps/ showbox.tools/ essaywriter.fun/

The post was edited 1 time, last by RykerBennett ().

• I’ve only ever played 1 game of arms race...and I’d say yes. Try to ally with all the active nations around you and put all your units into a mega-stack and conquer an inactive or AI. Keep conquering amd your unit amount will decrease, so your resource production will increase, allowzing you to produce more units.
    • I like to conserve my units simply because that how I play. Having units in reserve to effectively counter an enemy movement is important. Granted this does make it harder to build more units until I sustain some losses or gain 2.5 other starting territories.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

I like to conserve my units simply because that how I play. Having units in reserve to effectively counter an enemy movement is important. Granted this does make it harder to build more units until I sustain some losses or gain 2.5 other starting territories.
      i actually dispose some of them to a point where the consumption value of food is reasonable, infrastructure works as well