Fluctuating morale?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Fluctuating morale?

I have wondered quite a few times about this annoying problem: In a cluster of 30-40ish morale provinces, once in a while there will suddenly be a 25-28% province and the morale info even says 'falling'. Of course this is a trouble spot for rebellions, but it will also negatively impact the surrounding areas over time.

I don't really understand the math behind this that creates an 'island' of low morale when it's surrounded by friendly provinces with higher morale. As I understand the rules, its morale should go up???

(and before anyone says 'move your capitol': ofc this isn't it. If the distance was the problem, all those provinces would have low morale)
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

I don't really understand the math behind this that creates an 'island' of low morale when it's surrounded by friendly provinces with higher morale. As I understand the rules, its morale should go up???
      Each own neighboring province (these are the neighbors in the trend display) influences your own provinces at / with:
      100 morale -> +2;
      90-99 morale -> +1;

70-89 morale -> 0;
      60-69 morale -> -1;
      50-59 morale -> -2;
      40-49 morale -> -3;
      30-39 morale -> -4;
      20-29 morale -> -5;
      10-19 morale -> -6;
      0-9 morale -> -7;

soitwasatleastwiththeoriginalcow1.0

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Restrisiko wrote:

NoobNoobTrain wrote:

Each own neighboring province (these are the neighbors in the trend display) influences your own provinces at / with:100 morale -> +2;
      90-99 morale -> +1;

70-89 morale -> 0;
      60-69 morale -> -1;
      50-59 morale -> -2;
      40-49 morale -> -3;
      30-39 morale -> -4;
      20-29 morale -> -5;
      10-19 morale -> -6;
      0-9 morale -> -7;

soitwasatleastwiththeoriginalcow1.0

Thanx, I know this, but it doesn't explain the 'slum' problem.

If I have a cluster of 4-5 provinces and most of them are in the 40ies, they should all have the same penalties, right? Why does ONE of them end up in the 20ies and falling? If they are all neighbours, they should all have like 100-3-3 -3 -(distance).

And the point of all this is, that the 20ish province will in time pull down the morale in all its neighbours. After some days it will drag an entire region down. And then rebellion starts to kick in in provinces, that used to be OK. I mean, if you conquer a province and it quickly improves to 40ish, it shouldn't plummet to 20ish for no reason.

And what I'm getting at is, that it feels like something is wrong. I'm not arguing with the rules. They make sense. I just don't think it looks like the game always calculates it this way.

Btw. this is 1.5
    • Spies can also lower morale, you may have identified the base of operations of your enemy intelligence network.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Maybe it would actually be more fair if the neighbour impact was an average. Not a gross impact.
      It doesn't seem logic that a province with many neighbours should be more discontent than one with few.

And the problem is, as I already wrote, that one bad apple can start a chain of declining morale. I don't think it's fair that the game has a slippery slope mechanism at this point when the effect comes from the map design and not the players' actions.
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

If I have a cluster of 4-5 provinces and most of them are in the 40ies, they should all have the same penalties, right? Why does ONE of them end up in the 20ies and falling? If they are all neighbours, they should all have like 100-3-3 -3 -(distance).
      ..not always -- simple example:

NoobNoobTrain wrote:

And the problem is, as I already wrote, that one bad apple can start a chain of declining morale.
      ..but in return, the middle apple province can have a positive influence on more neighbors if it's morale is higher ;)

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Yes of course.

And as Restrisiko illustrated, the problem can be narrowed down to how the maps are designed: provinces with many neighbours risk becoming the cancer that will spread to your entire empire.

In 1.5 the only tool is infrastructure, which is pretty feeble and takes a long time to a high cost.

The only viable option is a garrison. I don't think that's an improvement to the game.
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

Yes of course.

And as Restrisiko illustrated, the problem can be narrowed down to how the maps are designed: provinces with many neighbours risk becoming the cancer that will spread to your entire empire.

In 1.5 the only tool is infrastructure, which is pretty feeble and takes a long time to a high cost.

The only viable option is a garrison. I don't think that's an improvement to the game.
      Or capturing a capital before the end of the day. I try to plan every campaign to capture a capital just before day change.
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

Capital boost is just a temporary solution. The effect will wear off.
      Yes this is true, but for the early expansion phase there is always another capital you can reach tomorrow. If you gat one each day shortly before day change this will prevent rebellions that day. This buys you time to stabilize morale with buildings in the area.

Of course you are correct that it is like a game of musical chairs, and you don’t want to be left without a plan when the music stops.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• NoobNoobTrain wrote:

...and my problem is more in the mid to late game. Conquering capitals each day isn't always an option.
      Then plan your campaign so that you will capture most of your provinces on the day that you do capture a capital.
      I realized that I should make something clear: this is me speaking from experience on the 22 and 25 maps, so I really can't speak to how things work out on larger maps.
    • I plan ahead and rigorously defend the minor AI’s next to me at the beginning of the game and this way I save their capitals for later.

VorlonFCW