Several Combat Bugs

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Several Combat Bugs

1. I have artillery set to fire-at-will, but they're not automatically commencing fire when visible enemy units are within range
      2. A tactical bomber was able to spot and attack my submarine, dealing no damage and taking ship air defence damage in return
      3. My destroyer / cruiser squadron were able to fire into the ocean at invisible submarines that were part of a larger surface flotilla and destroy them
      4. A destroyer squadron bombarded my city in 1.0 and successfully damaged an aircraft parked there
      5. Several instances where combat occurred before unit dots were on top of each other. The distance is significant, to the point where you would not expect that to be due to some kind of margin of error. Very annoying when I prefer fine-tuning my movements and unit formations all the time.
      We're always looking for top players to play together and learn from. Apply to Tokugawa Bakufu ( alliance code : KIOTO ) if you are a like-minded individual and wish to improve your game.

Whenever feasible, one should always try to eat the rude.

• 1) in most cases an alert player is able to initiate bombardment before the automatic checks for targets are periodically done.

2) A sub may be revealed in several ways, and once revealed can be attacked by any unit. Not all units deal much or any damage to certain types.

3) as the subs were in the targeted area they were damaged as this is the way combat functions.

4) While a destroyer does zero damage to land forces it does damage planes parked on airbases, and always has.

5). Close melee combat range of all units is a distance of 5k. When any order is given such as stop, move, attack, etc this triggers an attack against any unit within this 5k range. This range is line of sight and is not dependent upon roads or pathways to connect.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • OK, maybe I should change the title to "Combat Annoyances" then.

As the situation in Case No. 2 occurred at hour 2 of Day 1, the player did not have naval bombers to spot my submarine, nor was the submarine engaged in combat and therefore visible. It was simply part of a surface flotilla but continued to be visible after splitting and submerging.

To add to Case No. 5, I already knew that there was some close range "line of sight" where combat commences, but what I experienced here was a much bigger distance than usual, most likely more than 5 km, hence the confusion was due to inconsistency of the perceived margin of error.
      We're always looking for top players to play together and learn from. Apply to Tokugawa Bakufu ( alliance code : KIOTO ) if you are a like-minded individual and wish to improve your game.

• Marechal Saoul wrote:

OK, maybe I should change the title to "Combat Annoyances" then.

As the situation in Case No. 2 occurred at hour 2 of Day 1, the player did not have naval bombers to spot my submarine, nor was the submarine engaged in combat and therefore visible. It was simply part of a surface flotilla but continued to be visible after splitting and submerging.

To add to Case No. 5, I already knew that there was some close range "line of sight" where combat commences, but what I experienced here was a much bigger distance than usual, most likely more than 5 km, hence the confusion was due to inconsistency of the perceived margin of error.
      In case 2, he could have a had something that found your sub., the moved that unit away and used to tactical bomber to attack you sub.

In case 5, what unit was it?
    • 2) No he did not, I saw the whole engagement happen. He initially targeted my combined destroyer and submarine flotilla ( very start of the game, still neutral at that point ). My submarines did not engage anything in the sea either. When I moved my destroyers away from the action but left the submarines nearby to submerge and scout, the tactical bomber switched to attacking the submarines. Note they were not attacking a location on the map, but the submarines themselves because they were moving.

5) Happened across many different units. Land and sea. Applies to melée engagements only.

• Marechal Saoul wrote:

2) No he did not, I saw the whole engagement happen. He initially targeted my combined destroyer and submarine flotilla ( very start of the game, still neutral at that point ). My submarines did not engage anything in the sea either. When I moved my destroyers away from the action but left the submarines nearby to submerge and scout, the tactical bomber switched to attacking the submarines. Note they were not attacking a location on the map, but the submarines themselves because they were moving.

5) Happened across many different units. Land and sea. Applies to melée engagements only.
      2) well of the destroyer and the sub. started in the same stack then when the bomber attacked it would’ve attacked both the sub and the destroyer, meaning that it could see the sub. So when you moved the destroyer away the bomber will continue attack the sub,

5) well in sea all naval units have quite a long range...and what unit on land, was it an infantry or a tank.
    • 2) I've been told before that even when submarines are part of a surface fleet, they do not engage / cannot be attacked or even seen unless spotted by seaplanes or met directly in melée by an opposing naval unit. This is usually the case, when I attack combined fleets, where I am unable to bombard submarines without seaplanes ( which is correct ), but in rare occasions the bug occurs and I am able to sink invisible submarines while firing into a sea zone.

5) Of course all surface ships have a bombard range, but in this instance the enemy convoys moved straight at me ( since the player was not looking ) and they engaged in melée at a fair distance from my ships. Not complaining with the results, but it's just odd. With land units, I have experienced this across the unit spectrum, with infantry, tanks, AT, artillery, truck convoys, paratroopers, you name it.

One other thing to add, is that nowadays when I am capturing provinces, I can simple click "stop" on my land unit when it is 20-30 minutes away from its target, depending on unit speed and map speed, and it will teleport straight to the dot and capture that province for me. However if I do not press stop or issue new orders, the unit will arrive a the indicated time. I am attributing this phenomenon to the same issue with "margin of error".

The post was edited 2 times, last by Marechal Saoul ().

• Marechal Saoul wrote:

2) I've been told before that even when submarines are part of a surface fleet, they do not engage / cannot be attacked or seen unless spotted by naval bombers or if collide directly with an opposing naval unit.

5) Of course all surface ships have a bombard range, but in this instance the enemy convoys moved straight at me ( since the player was not looking ) and they engaged in melée at a fair distance from my ships. Not complaining with the results, but it's just odd. With land units, I have experienced this across the unit spectrum.

One other thing to add, is that nowadays when I am capturing provinces, I can simple click "stop" on my land unit when it is 20-30 minutes away from its target, depending on unit speed and map speed, and it will teleport straight to the dot and capture that province for me. However if I do not press stop or issue new orders, the unit will arrive a the indicated time. I am attributing this phenomenon to the same issue with "margin of error".
      2) if it is in range of a bombardment or attack, I think it will be revealed.

5) What were the units on the convoy ships.

And the last thing is on purpose. If you are online and you do it, within a certain distance the province will be yours.
    • Interesting, so perhaps the actual mechanic is such that when a submarine was part of a fleet that was recently engaged, then it may continue to be engaged even when separated from the surface fleet, as long as it remains in range of the same enemy units which engaged the surface fleet. But once the submarine moves out of range, it will once again disappear.

The convoys were a mix of land units like before. Have not come across aeroplane convoys in the sea yet but I suspect much of the same.

• Marechal Saoul wrote:

Interesting, so perhaps the actual mechanic is such that when a submarine was part of a fleet that was recently engaged, then it may continue to be engaged even when separated from the surface fleet, as long as it remains in range of the same enemy units which engaged the surface fleet. But once the submarine moves out of range, it will once again disappear.

The convoys were a mix of land units like before. Have not come across aeroplane convoys in the sea yet but I suspect much of the same.
      Exactly
    • RiverWolf74 wrote:

Marechal Saoul wrote:

Interesting, so perhaps the actual mechanic is such that when a submarine was part of a fleet that was recently engaged, then it may continue to be engaged even when separated from the surface fleet, as long as it remains in range of the same enemy units which engaged the surface fleet. But once the submarine moves out of range, it will once again disappear.

Exactly
      Lol, perhaps a bit too intricate.