CoW balancing changelog - 2020-07-14

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoW balancing changelog - 2020-07-14

Greetings Generals,

please take a moment to read the following list of balancing changes. Unless stated otherwise these changes are only available in new game rounds of Call of War 1.5, which are created after this update. This guarantees that most ongoing military operations or strategies in older rounds are not influenced.

There are also some changes which affect CoW 1.5 and even CoW 1.0 game rounds started before this update, such changes are marked accordingly in the list.

These changes only affect CoW1.5 games created after the update:

Doctrines:

These changes intend to make the doctrines better balanced.
    • Allies
      • Decreased the general buff for reduced research costs and times from 30% to 25%
      • Added buff for reduced unit upgrade costs and times of 20%
    • Comintern
      • Increased the general buff for reduced upkeep costs from 20% to 25%
    Buildings:

These changes intend to make higher level fortifications more worthwhile and to give additional means to improve province morale via Infrastructure.
    • Fortifications and Bunkers: Now hide units beginning on level 3.
    • Infrastructure:
      • changed province morale gain from 5%/12%/20% to 8%/18%/30%
      • Increased costs slightly to make up for the increased effectiveness
    Units:

Stealth overhaul:

These changes intend to make the stealth & scout gameplay deeper, by providing additional opportunities to set traps and ambushes, and by also making the revealing of land and sea based stealth units more logical.
    • Stealth:
      • Militia: Is now hidden in forest, hills, mountain and urban terrain.
      • Paratrooper (Infantry): Is now hidden in forest and hills.
      • Anti Tank: Is now hidden in forest, hills and urban terrain.
      • Tank Destroyer: Is now hidden in forest and hills.
      • Submarine: Keeps its current stealth capabilities.
      • Commandos: Keeps its current stealth capabilities.

• Scout:
      • Armored Car: Now reveals hidden units already on level 1, but doesn’t reveal Submarines anymore. Can now also reveal troops hidden inside higher level fortifications/bunkers.
      • Motorized Infantry: Now reveals hidden units already on level 1, but doesn’t reveal Submarines anymore. Can now also reveal troops hidden inside higher level fortifications/bunkers.
      • Naval Bomber: Does not reveal hidden land units anymore.
      • Interceptor: Does not reveal Submarines anymore. Can now also reveal troops hidden inside higher level fortifications/bunkers.
      • Destroyer: Now reveals Submarines.
    General unit balancing:

These changes intend to improve some slight unit imbalances. They also adress changed unit capabilities due to reworked stealth and scout features.
    • Tank Destroyer: Increased costs slightly. Lowered terrain bonus in Plains from 50% to 25% and added terrain bonus in forests and hills of 25%.
    • Militia: Increased costs slightly.
    • Submarine: Increased damage slightly and decreased costs slightly. Also added small damage values vs. land units to prevent nearly endless battles in some rare occasions.
    • Destroyer: Decreased its view range by ~30%. Decreased damage vs. Submarines slightly and increased costs slightly.
    • Aircraft Carrier: Added small damage values vs. land units to prevent nearly endless battles in some rare occasions.
    • Aircraft Transport: Removed damage values against ships and submarines as workaround for a particular bug where airplane transports appear on sea.
    • Interceptor: Slightly decreased damage vs. ground units.
    • Railroad Gun: Decreased damage and hitpoints slightly.

Mechanics:

These changes intend to give more value to morale management by adding build time modifiers based on province morale. They also intend to make morale management more consistent, which was too easy in core provinces and sometimes too hard in far-off provinces. We also made adjustments to the revolt threshold to better line up with player expectations. Additionally we slightly shortened the amount of Victory Points needed to win in order to shorten the long drag at the end of game rounds when they are basically already decided.
    • Decrease maximum capital distance morale penalty from -60 to -30
    • Added Expansion factor morale penalty:
      • Starting at 0 penalty when conquering provinces that amount to 1 nation (slight variations depending on the map size), goes up to -35 penalty when owning ~45% of all provinces on the map.
    • Added morale based production & construction times:
      • With lowering province morale also build times of units and buildings increase. Value examples:
      • Starts at +0% when below 80% morale
      • Maximizes at +900% when at 0% morale
      • Is at +162% when at 25% morale
    • Lowered victory thresholds:
      • 65% for coalition & team win instead of 70%
      • 45% for solo win instead of 51% (if more than 1 player reaches it, the player with more points wins)
    These changes apply to both CoW1.0 and CoW1.5, for old and new rounds:
    • Reduced army strength needed to suppress a revolt:
      • CoW1.5: For a province with 25% morale an army strength of 10 is needed to suppress the revolt completely (was unintentionally higher before)
      • CoW1.0: For a province with 25% morale an army strength of 6 is needed to suppress the revolt completely (was unintentionally higher before)
    • Reduced revolt chances:
      • A province at 25% morale with no garrison troops now has a 19% chance to revolt instead of 24%.
      • A province now only has a revolt chance when its morale is lower than 31% instead of 33%AI now starts to act earlier in "starts when full" Event games

Interface:
    This change applies to all CoW1.5 rounds (old and new):
    • Added an info button to the army bar on desktop and mobile. By clicking it you can open a popup that provides alot of useful information on the army size limit, on the army's damage potential and damage efficiency (including current damage values), damage distribution and protection. Check it out if you want to know how much damage your army may do or receive!
    Discord: Call of War
    Facebook: Call of War
    Twitter: Call of War
  • tyson.ar wrote:

question:
    When I conquer a province with resources, it will have low morale, but in turn the general morale of my empire falls. Will production be affected only in that province or will it affect my entire empire?
    solo afectará a esa provincia, la aplicación de penalización de moral se basa en cantidad de territorio total que tienes y no la moral promedio, o eso entendí yo
    "Si crees que esto tendrá un final feliz, es que no has estado prestando atención"
  • tyson.ar wrote:

question:
    When I conquer a province with resources, it will have low morale, but in turn the general morale of my empire falls. Will production be affected only in that province or will it affect my entire empire?
    If you are talking about the new morale based build times: Only in that conquered province will you have slow build times, until the morale improves

If you are talking about the new expansion morale penalty: This affects all of your provinces, but gradually and slowly. You won't get a higher penalty immediately just by conquering one province, but by conquering dozens of provinces.
  • freezy wrote:

tyson.ar wrote:

question:
    If you are talking about the new morale based build times: Only in that conquered province will you have slow build times, until the morale improves
    If you are talking about the new expansion morale penalty: This affects all of your provinces, but gradually and slowly. You won't get a higher penalty immediately just by conquering one province, but by conquering dozens of provinces.
    The new Expansion penalty is WAY TOO HARSH and UNNECESSARY!! Even with level 3 propaganda centers, my morale falls all over my country. Placing the capital in the center of my country helps balance things but we shouldn't have to keep conquering enemy capitals to keep core province morale at 100%. Stop breaking the game...this change is not fun. It does not make the game more challenging...now it is just a frustrating "whack a mole" exercise. I currently have 20-30 border provinces that are in constant state of possible rebellion...that is silly.