Arty 1.5

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why does a level 1 - 75mm howitzer have the same range as a level 6 - 155mm ?
    "Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen" - There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.
    General Heinz Guderian (Schneller Heinz)

Kenny says - You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away And know when to run
  • marasinsefiri wrote:

dw98 wrote:

Why does a level 1 - 75mm howitzer have the same range as a level 6 - 155mm ?
    75mm and 155mm related to the size of the cannonball so range is the same
    OMG!
    36 years in the Army -Infantry and Armor - thank you for mansplaining. I guess this game has NO desire to reflect reality.
    Just as an example:
    "By the time of Operation TORCH in November 1942, the Army had deployed an entire family of new guns. The M1 75mm pack howitzer, with a range of 8,880 meters (5.5 miles)" LEVEL 1 ARTY
    "Nicknamed the “Long Tom,” this gun fired a 127-pound shell to a range of 22,000 meters (13.2 miles). (National Archives)" LEVEL 6 ARTY
    "Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen" - There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Kenny says - You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away And know when to run

The post was edited 1 time, last by dw98: Stupidity ().

• dw98 wrote:

marasinsefiri wrote:

dw98 wrote:

OMG!36 years in the Army -Infantry and Armor - thank you for mansplaining. I guess this game has NO desire to reflect reality.
    Just as an example:
    "By the time of Operation TORCH in November 1942, the Army had deployed an entire family of new guns. The M1 75mm pack howitzer, with a range of 8,880 meters (5.5 miles)"
    "Nicknamed the “Long Tom,” this gun fired a 127-pound shell to a range of 22,000 meters (13.2 miles). (National Archives)"
    play cow 1.0 to have different range arty
  • DoctorDR1 wrote:

All arty has the same range in 1.5.
    Ya dont say? I didnt notice that. Thank you for answering that burning question. :wallbash

• RiverWolf74 wrote:

yeah the name is just a name it doesn't affect the range.

RiverWolf74 wrote:

dw98 wrote:

marasinsefiri wrote:

dw98 wrote:

OMG!36 years in the Army -Infantry and Armor - thank you for mansplaining. I guess this game has NO desire to reflect reality.Just as an example:
    "By the time of Operation TORCH in November 1942, the Army had deployed an entire family of new guns. The M1 75mm pack howitzer, with a range of 8,880 meters (5.5 miles)"
    "Nicknamed the “Long Tom,” this gun fired a 127-pound shell to a range of 22,000 meters (13.2 miles). (National Archives)"
    Oh wow- thanks - didnt realize there was a Call of War 1.0 :wallbash

• Can someone from Bytro please answer my question with some logic? :huh:

• dw98 wrote:

RiverWolf74 wrote:

RiverWolf74 wrote:

dw98 wrote:

marasinsefiri wrote:

dw98 wrote:

OMG!36 years in the Army -Infantry and Armor - thank you for mansplaining. I guess this game has NO desire to reflect reality.Just as an example:"By the time of Operation TORCH in November 1942, the Army had deployed an entire family of new guns. The M1 75mm pack howitzer, with a range of 8,880 meters (5.5 miles)"
    ....Im guessing your a new player then. New players are sometimes unable to join 1.0 games
  • For gameplay purposes as units do not automatically upgrade in 1.5 having mixed ranges in your same stack makes for a rather ineffective group and requires extreme micromanaging. The ranges have been made the same for player convenience.
    War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
    Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
  • RiverWolf74 wrote:

dw98 wrote:

RiverWolf74 wrote:

RiverWolf74 wrote:

dw98 wrote:

marasinsefiri wrote:

dw98 wrote:

OMG!36 years in the Army -Infantry and Armor - thank you for mansplaining. I guess this game has NO desire to reflect reality.Just as an example:"By the time of Operation TORCH in November 1942, the Army had deployed an entire family of new guns. The M1 75mm pack howitzer, with a range of 8,880 meters (5.5 miles)""Nicknamed the “Long Tom,” this gun fired a 127-pound shell to a range of 22,000 meters (13.2 miles). (National Archives)"
    ....Im guessing your a new player then. New players are sometimes unable to join 1.0 games
    :wallbash :wallbash :wallbash :wallbash

• VorlonFCW wrote:

The ranges have been made the same for player convenience.
    it would be better if it’s not the same so that it’s more realistic of bombarding enemies our of their dang using both arty. Eg: lvl 3 arty 70(I’m not sure if the game uses metrics (Km) or the US imperial measurements(miles)) bombarding a Lvl 2 arty that can’t fire back.
    hi
  • There were two reasons why improving range with research was removed with CoW1.5 (for both ships and arty):
    (1): As Vorlon already wrote, units no longer upgrading automatically would create stacks with many different ranges. Which would be too difficult to handle.
    There are solutions imaginable to solve this, but I so far couldn't think of a nice one (that wouldn't have other, negative effects).
    (2): In order to reduce complexity, differences from one research level to the next have been equalized to same progression for all values of all units and for each research level. Upgrading a unit +1 level gives same percentage increase on all damage values, speed and HP. Having a range upgrade for some research levels totally wouldn't go along with that principle.

These reasons probably outweigh the loss:
    * Of course @dw98 is correct that the range upgrades were a totally realistic feature.
    * It was just very much fun to get a range upgrade with some research levels. Now all research levels giving same benefit is boring.

I personally miss the range upgrades very much. And I'm still of the opinion that the principle (2) is horrible, so I'd be happy to remove it anyway (for HP, speed and range - for damage values should be kept up). But if we want the range upgrades back, somebody would also have to have a good idea how to solve issue (1).
  • RiverWolf74 wrote:

dw98 wrote:

RiverWolf74 wrote:

This thread has "1.5" in the title. Before just assuming that the author is a new (and not very bright) player, please read carefully.

Secondly, resorting to CoW1.0 really isn't a proper solution, since - as we all know - range upgrades by far aren't the only difference in between these two versions. So saying "play CoW1.0 if you want range upgrades" is similar to answering a complaint about a new Porsche lacking proper air conditioning with "why don't you take this 10year-old bicycle - then you always have fresh air".

dw98 wrote:

I guess this game has NO desire to reflect reality.
    This of course is an exaggeration. But it's true that keeping the game realistic had low priority when CoW1.5 was designed. Unfortunately, I want to add.
    The loss of range upgrades is one of the smaller debasements in this respect.
  • Hans A. Pils wrote:

RiverWolf74 wrote:

dw98 wrote:

RiverWolf74 wrote:

This thread has "1.5" in the title. Before just assuming that the author is a new (and not very bright) player, please read carefully.
    Secondly, resorting to CoW1.0 really isn't a proper solution, since - as we all know - range upgrades by far aren't the only difference in between these two versions. So saying "play CoW1.0 if you want range upgrades" is similar to answering a complaint about a new Porsche lacking proper air conditioning with "why don't you take this 10year-old bicycle - then you always have fresh air".

dw98 wrote:

I guess this game has NO desire to reflect reality.
    This of course is an exaggeration. But it's true that keeping the game realistic had low priority when CoW1.5 was designed. Unfortunately, I want to add.The loss of range upgrades is one of the smaller debasements in this respect.
    i wish they wouldadd rangethough in 1.5...