First Strike Theory—Important tips for newcomers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• First Strike Theory—Important tips for newcomers

*The main purpose of this thread is for answering questions, NOT asking questions.
      Yesterday I came across my friend Benjamin who also play CoW, he launched 5 lv.4 rockets in a stack, planned to surprise attack his enemy. Well, something strange yet exciting happened. We stared at the screen, the rocket made an accurate hit on a stationary tank army, but the tank army still holds a 100% morale with no units lost. Then, war is declared. My poor friend spent 125 manpower, 7.5k metal, 2.5k rare material and 12.5k money just to declare war. So I went home, planning to dig deeper in this strange phenomenon, proposed a “First Strike” theory and conducted some experiments. Reports can be seen below.
    • REPORT ON FIRST STRIKE THEORY EXPERIMENTS
      HYPOTHESIS: Certain ranged units deal no damage on the first hit to enemies when war is not declared first.
      INDEPENDENT VARIABLE: Damage dealt by ranged units when war is not declared first.
      DEPENDENT VARIABLE: Types of ranged units used during the experiments.
      CONTROLLED VARIABLES: Relation with enemy before strike = peace, number of units in all army stacks = 5, target enemy troops = 5 medium tanks, lvl. of all units used in the experiment = 3(excl. nuclear rockets, railroadguns)

Results obtained:
      NORMAL ROCKETS:
      Test 1: 0 damage dealt
      Test 2: 0 damage dealt
      Test 3: 0 damage dealt

NORMAL ARTILLERY:

SP ARTILLERY:

RAILROADGUN:

NUCLEAR BOMBER:
      Test 1: 2000 damage dealt, enemy casualties = 5
      Test 2: 2000 damage dealt, enemy casualties = 5
      Test 3: 2000 damage dealt, enemy casualties = 5

NUCLEAR ROCKET:

CONCLUSION: When using ranged units, always declare war first! The First strike phenomenon also appears when using some airplanes, navy vessels and melee units. The results obtained are pretty much the same. Nuclear weapons are not affected by the phenomena.
    • Joe-6989 wrote:

*The main purpose of this thread is for answering questions, NOT asking questions.
      Yesterday I came across my friend Benjamin who also play CoW, he launched 5 lv.4 rockets in a stack, planned to surprise attack his enemy. Well, something strange yet exciting happened. We stared at the screen, the rocket made an accurate hit on a stationary tank army, but the tank army still holds a 100% morale with no units lost. Then, war is declared. My poor friend spent 125 manpower, 7.5k metal, 2.5k rare material and 12.5k money just to declare war. So I went home, planning to dig deeper in this strange phenomenon, proposed a “First Strike” theory and conducted some experiments. Reports can be seen below.
      who on earth told u guys to do a surprise Attack with a rocket? It can’t be shot down anyway so just declare war a few seconds before impact that’s what I do.

Joe-6989 wrote:

REPORT ON FIRST STRIKE THEORY EXPERIMENTS
      HYPOTHESIS: Certain ranged units deal no damage on the first hit to enemies when war is not declared first.
      INDEPENDENT VARIABLE: Damage dealt by ranged units when war is not declared first.
      CONTROLLED VARIABLES: Relation with enemy before strike = peace, number of units in all army stacks = 5, target enemy troops = 5 medium tanks, lvl. of all units used in the experiment = 3(excl. nuclear rockets, railroadguns)

Results obtained:
      NORMAL ROCKETS:

NORMAL ARTILLERY:

SP ARTILLERY:

RAILROADGUN:

NUCLEAR BOMBER:

NUCLEAR ROCKET:

CONCLUSION: When using ranged units, always declare war first! The First strike phenomenon also appears when using some airplanes, navy vessels and melee units. The results obtained are pretty much the same. Nuclear weapons are not affected by the phenomena.
      maybe it’s just u then
      hi
    • Joe-6989 wrote:

Are you sure you are seeing live intel of the target? You'll need to fly a plane over the target to see recent damage otherwise you are probably looking at old intel before the strike.
    • Given that there is an X factor that varies the actual damage done from zero to 100% of the possible damage I find it extremely unusual that you achieved the exact same result 3 times in a row over 5 separate testing events.

Additionally these ranged units are likely to fire beyond visual range, so determining exact damage done does require a flyover.

Now with that said, declaring war prior to a rocket attack is required when the units are on a province that does not belong to them. This is because the war is declared on the landowner and not on the units.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Joe-6989 wrote:

REPORT ON FIRST STRIKE THEORY EXPERIMENTS

Results obtained:
      NORMAL ROCKETS:

NORMAL ARTILLERY:

SP ARTILLERY:

RAILROADGUN:

NUCLEAR BOMBER:

NUCLEAR ROCKET:

haha... so i Guess your total cost was more than:

Money:220000++
      Rare materials: 200000++

Why did u build so many secret weapons just for the test???
      It will cost you in-game unless u were using the doomsday map game that we are in together.
      hi
    • Joe-6989 wrote:

A little thing that I forgot: the data presented in the report is not necessarily the exact value.
      So you have imaginary data from imaginary tests just to support a theory of yours?
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • The tests are real sir, what I mean by data is not necessarily the exact value is that how could we measure the exact damage dealt by a unit? I know we can figure out the value by looking into the condition changes and multiply by the hitpoints the unit gets. But doing the math is extremely torturous for me. Plus the army stack of 5 med. tanks die instantly when the nukes carry out their strikes, so I could only say 2000 damage is dealt. Can you interfere how I feel when being questioned this often and just been pissed off into the middle of the Asian mess when playing Free For All?

The post was edited 2 times, last by Joe-6989 ().

• Joe-6989 wrote:

The tests are real sir, what I mean by data is not necessarily the exact value is that how could we measure the exact damage dealt by a unit? I know we can figure out the value by looking into the condition changes and multiply by the hitpoints the unit gets. But doing the math is extremely torturous for me. Plus the army stack of 5 med. tanks die instantly when the nukes carry out their strikes, so I could only say 2000 damage is dealt. Can you interfere how I feel when being questioned this often and just been pissed off into the middle of the Asian mess when playing Free For All?
      u used free for all as a test? I thought u used our doomsday one or something
      hi