Starting to get Stupid!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Starting to get Stupid!

So I've been playing COW for a while now and needless to say, I am not a fan of the 1.5 version. This is the typical thing I get from the 1.5 version. I took over an urban province which had an air field in it. So, I sent my entire Air Force to this base because it was near the front and wanted to support my ground units. It was reachable by air from all the units I sent there. Once they arive the air field has vanished and my entire Air force is left in a tranport convoy. I had ground units in the city so it never changed hands. WTH? Or my other favorite is, I take over a province that has much needed resources in it. Trade excess resources for money so I can buy whats needed to build an industrial complex. Start the buils, and return to find the province has revolted and i'm out every thing I traded and spent to develop the province. For me 1.5 is a failure. I guess some of the new graphics are an improvement but in my opinion you have ruined the game play. You have totally ruined a perfectly good game. You have taken the fun out of it and made everything a struggle. Resources are a contant struggle which makes research, unit upgrades, and structure upgrades unaffordable. You have some many unit and structure upgrades that were once fun to use. That are no longer acheivable. I'm 20 some days into a 100 player scenario and the top players still have infantry and artillery units for tha majority of their army. I hope these changes are not permanent and more thought can be put into the overall functionallity of the game. The sad part is, I was really looking forward to the release of 1.5. But now I have no interest in even playing the game. :thumbsup:
    • Northernking11 wrote:

So I've been playing COW for a while now and needless to say, I am not a fan of the 1.5 version. This is the typical thing I get from the 1.5 version. I took over an urban province which had an air field in it. So, I sent my entire Air Force to this base because it was near the front and wanted to support my ground units. It was reachable by air from all the units I sent there. Once they arive the air field has vanished and my entire Air force is left in a tranport convoy. I had ground units in the city so it never changed hands. WTH? Or my other favorite is, I take over a province that has much needed resources in it. Trade excess resources for money so I can buy whats needed to build an industrial complex. Start the buils, and return to find the province has revolted and i'm out every thing I traded and spent to develop the province. For me 1.5 is a failure. I guess some of the new graphics are an improvement but in my opinion you have ruined the game play. You have totally ruined a perfectly good game. You have taken the fun out of it and made everything a struggle. Resources are a contant struggle which makes research, unit upgrades, and structure upgrades unaffordable. You have some many unit and structure upgrades that were once fun to use. That are no longer acheivable. I'm 20 some days into a 100 player scenario and the top players still have infantry and artillery units for tha majority of their army. I hope these changes are not permanent and more thought can be put into the overall functionallity of the game. The sad part is, I was really looking forward to the release of 1.5. But now I have no interest in even playing the game. :thumbsup:
      Hi, thanks for the feedback.

The conquering & revolt related problems you describe in your post have nothing to do with CoW1.5, as the underlying mechanics are the same in CoW1.0.

Regarding resources: Yes your budget will indeed be more tight in CoW1.5 if you want to build everything and use every production slot you have. That is per design. If you spend your resources wisely only on the things you need, and also invest in Industry early enough, you will have enough resources to produce high tech troops. I hope you keep trying, eventually you will succeed.

By the way, one type of feedback we received a lot in 1.0 is that players are sad that Infantry plays such a little role, whereas in WW2 it played a big role. So hearing from you that also in later stages of the game basic units like Inf and Arty are still used means the new balancing actually succeeded. We indeed tried to keep all units worthwhile also in later stages of the game. The higher tech units are not meant to replace them anymore, they are meant to complement them with additional tactics and counters.
    • Northernking11 wrote:

Yeah, I don't care for that concept of the game. I prefer using the better units. Infantry is just slow. Totally ruined the game for me.
      Did you even listen to what Freezy said? There is no "better" unit. All units are supposed to complement each other, so there won't be specialization, at least not that much. If you have a problem with infantry, it's fine. However, to say that infantry is useless in 1.5 is an overstatement.

Infantry is supposed to be slow, but it's a highly versatile unit. I don't get how infantry, the backbone of early-game (and possibly even by mid-late game) and one of the iconic units of war itself, would ruin a game that has based itself on WW2 all this time that you have accepted until now.

Now, I understand if you complain about resources and rebellions, as I do also think the resource problem in 1.5 forces players to expand, making a previously already rare strategy (turtle) basically non-existent. However, doesn't this just drive players to want to improve themselves? Before I tried out 1.5, I thought there wasn't any point in trying it, but once I played it, it gave me the feeling that I had when I first played the game - a feeling of weakness and infancy. Although I am a pretty decent player in 1.0, in 1.5 I feel like I have a lot to learn. Why not play a few more and try out every aspect of 1.5 before you start complaining?
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Northernking11 wrote:

COW 1.5 certainly does have some bugs and in much need of further refinement, this game is still in rookie stage and has yet to be widely accepted as the alternative to be.

Northernking11 I am glad that you have made this post because I too will agree that COW 1.5 is not the best and should either be overhauled or scrapped altogether, mostly because it emphasizes stay at home strategy, kind of like camping in a first person shooter.

Its just not the better way... :tumbleweed:
    • I'm sick of the rising amount of members and threads lately which are whining about the game mechanics while the problem is caused by player's bad strategy and not the game.

Northernking11 wrote:

... I sent my entire Air Force...
      Not game's fault, there are rebels and you shpuld know and make plans accordingly.

Northernking11 wrote:

... the province has revolted and i'm out every thing I traded and spent to develop the province...
      Again, strategy. Also you wouldn't expect the rebels to give you the resources back... Right?

Northernking11 wrote:

... in my opinion you have ruined the game play. You have totally ruined a perfectly good game. You have taken the fun out of it and made everything a struggle...
      Looks like a learned whining. You know when a big game gets some major changes and the community starts collapsing because of huge loss of quality players? Yeah just like that, but Call of War has nothing to do with something like this as it gives you two versions to play. If you don't like one, play the other.

Northernking11 wrote:

... Resources are a contant struggle which makes research, unit upgrades, and structure upgrades unaffordable...
      Strategy.

Northernking11 wrote:

... the top players still have infantry and artillery units for tha majority of their army...
      So what? If they are the top players then it seems like it worked for that map. Nothing wrong here.

Northernking11 wrote:

... I hope these changes are not permanent and more thought can be put into the overall functionallity of the game...
      What do you mean by permanent? You can go to the game selection and choose a 1.0 game if you want. If you mean Bytro still working on 1.5, it probably isn't permanent as they release updates regularly.

Northernking11 wrote:

... I was really looking forward to the release of 1.5. But now I have no interest in even playing the game. :thumbsup:
      Again, if you enjoyed 1.0 you can still play it.

Northernking11 wrote:

Yeah, I don't care for that concept of the game. I prefer using the better units. Infantry is just slow. Totally ruined the game for me.
      You don't care about the game's concept? What? Do you not care about the mechanics or something?

Also like said above, there are no better units. Select your units properly. Look at the map, the diplomacy and policy around you and in the whole map, get the more appropriate units for your country and your surroundings, your production and technological development etc.

If there was a "better unit" this game wouldn't be played because people would have figured out something that works regardless of map, country, production etc and everyone would just repeat the same.

Instead, each game is something different.

bigboss_ironfist wrote:

Northernking11 wrote:

COW 1.5 certainly does have some bugs and in much need of further refinement, this game is still in rookie stage and has yet to be widely accepted as the alternative to be.

Northernking11 I am glad that you have made this post because I too will agree that COW 1.5 is not the best and should either be overhauled or scrapped altogether, mostly because it emphasizes stay at home strategy, kind of like camping in a first person shooter.

There's no better way, if you don't like it don't play it.
    • h4zel wrote:

I'm sick of the rising amount of members and threads lately which are whining about the game mechanics while the problem is caused by player's bad strategy and not the game.

Northernking11 wrote:

Not game's fault, there are rebels and you shpuld know and make plans accordingly.

Northernking11 wrote:

... the province has revolted and i'm out every thing I traded and spent to develop the province...
      Again, strategy. Also you wouldn't expect the rebels to give you the resources back... Right?

Northernking11 wrote:

... in my opinion you have ruined the game play. You have totally ruined a perfectly good game. You have taken the fun out of it and made everything a struggle...
      Looks like a learned whining. You know when a big game gets some major changes and the community starts collapsing because of huge loss of quality players? Yeah just like that, but Call of War has nothing to do with something like this as it gives you two versions to play. If you don't like one, play the other.

Northernking11 wrote:

... Resources are a contant struggle which makes research, unit upgrades, and structure upgrades unaffordable...
      Strategy.

Northernking11 wrote:

... the top players still have infantry and artillery units for tha majority of their army...
      So what? If they are the top players then it seems like it worked for that map. Nothing wrong here.

Northernking11 wrote:

... I hope these changes are not permanent and more thought can be put into the overall functionallity of the game...
      What do you mean by permanent? You can go to the game selection and choose a 1.0 game if you want. If you mean Bytro still working on 1.5, it probably isn't permanent as they release updates regularly.

Northernking11 wrote:

... I was really looking forward to the release of 1.5. But now I have no interest in even playing the game. :thumbsup:

Northernking11 wrote:

You don't care about the game's concept? What? Do you not care about the mechanics or something?
      Also like said above, there are no better units. Select your units properly. Look at the map, the diplomacy and policy around you and in the whole map, get the more appropriate units for your country and your surroundings, your production and technological development etc.

If there was a "better unit" this game wouldn't be played because people would have figured out something that works regardless of map, country, production etc and everyone would just repeat the same.

bigboss_ironfist wrote:

Northernking11 wrote:

holy cow that was 1 Long reply
      hi
    • h4zel wrote:

I'm sick of the rising amount of members and threads lately which are whining about the game mechanics while the problem is caused by player's bad strategy and not the game.

Northernking11 wrote:

Northernking11 wrote:

Northernking11 wrote:

Northernking11 wrote:

Strategy.

Northernking11 wrote:

Northernking11 wrote:

Northernking11 wrote:

Northernking11 wrote:

bigboss_ironfist wrote:

Northernking11 wrote:

Overall strategy respondents to COW gaming have almost unanimously ensconced the originality of COW1.5, it has alot of work to be done and is never to be considered the better way and is considerably subjugated by the COW players, both young & old. :beer: :beer: :beer:

btw h4zel, thanks to you input and thats all.

The post was edited 1 time, last by bigboss_ironfist ().

• bigboss_ironfist wrote:

Overall strategy respondents to COW gaming have almost unanimously ensconced the originality of COW, COW 1.5 has alot of work to be done, it is never to be considered the better way and only subjugated to by the COW players, both young & old.
      I'm not a big fan of CoW 1.5, but I believe both versions have their strengths and weaknesses. To simply call one better than the other is probably an oversimplification.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • As 1.5 is under development every single constructive suggestion is considered for inclusion. Let me give an example of a constructive suggestion:

“In the 1.5 version there are many players who believe railroad guns are overly powerful and that players who create doom stacks of 10 railroad guns with 10 anti air are nearly impossible to beat.

One difference from 1.0 is that 10 railroad guns in a stack are effective instead of the limit of 3.

Another difference is the range. The bombardment range of a railroad gun is 150 which is the same as 1.0, however in 1.0 the range of artillery increases to 80 with research over the course of the game so that by mid game a railroad gun has only twice the range of a standard artillery unit. This feature is not included in 1.5 leaving the railroad gun with three times the bombardment range of artillery for the duration of the game.

I propose that the range of railroad guns be reduced to 100 to better reflect approximately twice the range of regular artillery. “

So you can see this is a very specific and well reasoned suggestion that identifies an issue and offers a solution. This will be discussed and it may be implemented or rejected, or perhaps the discussion will lead to a different solution to the issue.

At the present time while design work is still ongoing with 1.5 every player has the opportunity to give their input and make constructive suggestions for features, tweaks, and changes. Your ideas can become a permanent part of the game for all players to enjoy.

please note that the actual railroad gun issue has a thread here: 1.5 Railroad gun unbalanced
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • btw, just a slight correction: The Railroad Gun has a range of 120 in CoW1.5, compared to 150 in CoW1.0. But yeah, we could think about lowering it to 100 even.

Other than that: Yes that is how helpful feedback should look like, and feedback like this will always be taken into consideration.
    • I like 1.5 and will not play 1.0. However, the whole design is always under revision and it is important to feed into the designers what we like, what we want, what we need and then the whole issue is how do they digest all of that so that they could present a PRODUCT that represents their company and appeals to a sustainable number of players and that they, the designers, can defend.

I am encouraged by the advances and the responses, being a dyed in the wool New Yorker, nothing is done fast enough.
    • Ralph the Octopus wrote:

@H4zel..Everyone has a right to voice their opinion and you saying your tired of all the whining..Then take some of your own advice, DONT READ THE FORUM. Now as to the game 1.5. I am not a big fan either the manpower issue the upgrades the doctrine. Not a big fan.
      Sure everyone can voice their opinion, no one is trying to suppress them.

Though, what you are saying is like polluting the street then telling people who don't like it to not get out of their homes. You know why? Because the problem here is people whining about the mechanics while the mechanics have no fault and all the fault is on wrong strategy. Blaming a strategy game because you choose wrong strategies is not an opinion.

It's, like the title says, starting to get stupid when SEVERAL people whine about the game because of their own fault.

PS nowhere in this forum did I tell anyone to not read the forum hence it seems like I'm not told to take my own advice, but to take yours.
    • freezy wrote:

By the way, one type of feedback we received a lot in 1.0 is that players are sad that Infantry plays such a little role, whereas in WW2 it played a big role. So hearing from you that also in later stages of the game basic units like Inf and Arty are still used means the new balancing actually succeeded. We indeed tried to keep all units worthwhile also in later stages of the game. The higher tech units are not meant to replace them anymore, they are meant to complement them with additional tactics and counters.
      Every time i play the 100 player 1.5 everyone's army is just light tanks and a bombers, it's really annoying when people spam those units like i really don't want the majority of my army as anti tank and anti air and nothing else... it's really unrealistic
    • Eventually, those Anti-tanks and AA will serve as a more widespread deterrent and those straight tank/bomber combinations will be forced to the wayside as they adapt. This is just going to happen.

Strategies and tactics will take time to normalize. Changing something to affect it directly won't remove that problem, it'll just change it to something else and you'll still have to wait for strategies and tactics to normalize.
      Jacques Thomas
      Game Operator
      EN Community Support
      Bytro Labs | Call of War