Antarctica Suggestions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Antarctica Suggestions

Dominion : Antarctica is quickly becoming one of my favourite maps to play. It's honestly amazing to see how it was born out of a suggestions thread just like this back in 2016 and took the idea of longitudinal pizza slices beautifully. I also love the mix of historical and norse mythology names of the territories, etc... very cool :thumbup:

Anyway, just have a couple of minor suggestions to make, and then a big one.

First, it think it would be helpful to slightly tweak the AI behaviour. Currently, because the 6 small Garrisons only house 20-30 units, even a really unskilled player could rush in with a massive stack of light tanks and take out the lab in the middle, while incurring less catastrophic casualties than you would think because they get plenty of terrain bonus in the surrounding bastions, and the AI is very slow to reinforce weak points, keeping units spread out, etc. ( as AI likes to do ).

Suggestions :

• Increase probability of Garrison AI producing AT, at the expense of armoured cars
      • Increase concentration of Garrison units in the ( urban ) centre

Secondly, at times you see Garrison AI do strange things like venturing outside the labs or attacking their own Corps ( see attachments below ). I personally think the Garrisons are already quite weak, and by taking units out of their defensible positions it makes it even easier to take labs and reap the cash bonus.

Suggestions :
      • Set default diplomacy status of all Garrison and Corps AI as share map or RoW, and make it immutable. In fact, the simplest way would be to make them all in the same coalition
      • Set boundaries for Garrison units which prevent them from going beyond the initial lab boundaries
      • Set probability of any province rebelling to a Garrison faction to zero
      • As far as the Corps recapturing provinces inside a garrison against a player, I think it makes sense for the province to revert back to the Garrison faction ( unless already defeated ), because otherwise the AI would be taking a 75% non-core production penalty.

Proposal : Fortress Antarctica

OK, so now I'm curious how people might feel about a new mode on this map that allows players to assume the Garrison side and try to defend against the horde of attacking allies. This would be a 1950s scenario where the cold war powers are vying to be first to capture a remote base defended by remnants of the Reich after the fall.

Game mode : teams

Random assignment or country selection ?

( I'm undecided because I see arguments for both. Maybe players who really want to play defence should be allowed to choose. So maybe the solution is : players able to choose a Team then randomly assign )

Game capped at ( insert X ) days

Garrison Team ( 6 Corps and 7 Garrison for a combined 13 )
      • Unit skins : Axis
      • Higher resource allocation + more starting units in beginning due to eventual numerical and strategic disadvantage
      • Units available at the beginning can include RRGs and Rockets ( 1.5 doctrines could be a good reference )
      • Victory condition : control ( X ) or more labs at end of ( X ) days ( suggesting 45 ), including Lindwurm
      • Higher gold reward than other teams due to lower likelihood of winning

Allied Team ( 20 slots), including FRG, Japan, Israel, etc.
      Comintern Team ( 20 slots ), including the GDR, PRC, all Warsaw Pact countries, etc.

• Unit skins : Allied or Comintern ( I can see an argument for including the Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere as a third team but personally I weakly prefer two teams and two skins, since it wouldn't make sense post WWII to include IJA and Axis units )
      • Impregnable beachheads as before
      • Victory condition : control ( X ) or more labs at end of ( X ) days ( suggesting 45 ), including Lindwurm, OR, control all labs for 3 days and the game ends immediately ( open to adjustments )
      • I don't know if doctrine differences between Allied and Comintern factions should apply here. Since the whole team is that way, the advantages and disadvantages are magnified. ( Maybe that's the way it should be, but anyway, just a thought ).
      • Lower gold reward, since it's easier to win and there will be a lot of winners

Conclusion
      • Cooperative game mode
      • Allows for players to focus on purely offensive or defensive playing styles, with terrain playing significant role
      • Playing as the Garrison side would probably be pretty conducive to gold use, just as trying to win the single player mode of the map, since it's so difficult
      • Playing defence could be super challenging and demanding, which experienced players might want to try. Could feel like playing "zombies / survival mode" on FPS games ( ignoring the obvious irony ).
      • If allowing players to play as "the bad Germans" is an issue, maybe you can call the defending faction "Hydra" or "Thule Gesellschaft" or something.
      • All of these suggestions are obviously open to tweaks and testing, so happy to hear your thoughts
      Images
      • Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 10.06.45.jpg

86.22 kB, 934×380, viewed 6 times
      • Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 10.08.00.jpg

301.06 kB, 1,666×1,186, viewed 6 times
      We're always looking for top players to play together and learn from. Apply to Tokugawa Bakufu ( alliance code : KIOTO ) if you are a like-minded individual and wish to improve your game.

Whenever feasible, one should always try to eat the rude.

• Thanks for the detailed suggestions, I am glad you like the game mode! It was fun to make for us, as it allowed for a bit more creativity than the standard historical maps :D

Sadly nearly all of your suggestions are not simple balancing tweaks but would require writing new features and new AI behaviour in the game code specifically for this map. Since this would be quite some effort and only benefit one map out of dozens, the priority for it to happen is rather low.

Never say never, but I hope you can keep enjoying the map without adjustments for a while :)