Politics 101

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Politics 101

      Despite this game being a war game, politics still play especially in how nations and coalitions react towards each other. This can either cause, end, agitate or diffuse a conflict. Despite being underrated politics hold a good part of the game. Without politics, alliances, relations and compromises towards players everyone will be over at each other's throats. This guide is made for coalition play. Some of these strategies can be applicable in playing solo.

      Here is my not so-detailed guide about Politics in the game:

      1. Know your place in the coalition: Founder/Leader! - In creating coalitions make sure of your role. Just because you created your own coalition this does not mean you are fit to lead one. Make sure before making a coalition you know of your purpose. If you believe you possess good leadership capabilities then you are good as a leader. If not then you may demote yourself if someone is taking charge of your coalition's affairs. A coalition with two leaders is harmful and may confuse your members and cohesion. Make sure not to let your pride take over. Always remember you may be a founder but you'll have to earn your place as a leader.

      2. Observe the matters inside the coalition - Is the leader being consistent? Is he fit to lead? Are his orders making sense and is your leader doing his responsibilities? If you observe that your leader is erroneous to his judgments, he is not showing that leadership qualities and a lot of issues. You may as well question yourself whether or not your coalition may survive and if you survive if you stay longer. You may voice out and give advises but if that does not work you may consider yourself in your place in the coalition.

      3. Observe your coalition's relations to others - Is your coalition being too aggressive? Is your coalition having problems with relations towards other coalitions and nations. How many your coalition's friends are and how many are their enemies?

      By asking yourself these questions you may know if your coalition may last longer given that it is fighting a war that it can either win or lose. Coalition is a huge entity of nations, it may give you a huge advantage in prestige and survival but it does not assure it. Your coalition may be single handedly defeated by a good player or a smaller coalition.

      4. Always coordinate - Communication is the key, always understand what your leader and other coalition members are telling you to do. Do not solo and do not cause harm or danger to your coalition if you want to survive longer in the game. Remember by signing in to a coalition you are not only responsible to yourself but also your coalition as well.

      5. Always put yourself in the position of power - Assure, convince and show do not criticize and use sympathy. By using sympathy you are displaying that your side is weak, by criticizing his choices based on moral standpoint will not help either. By doing so you can either demoralize or agitate the player. If you really wish an alliance with that player so bad, make him think that he made a very terrible decision. To do this make your argument sound, make yourself convincing and lastly show. Show and demonstrate your capabilities and make your opposition look weak. Criticisms will only make yourself look bad and weak. If a player does not want to join you, there's nothing you can do about it.

      6. Diplomacy and flirting are different - The former requires assurance of power the latter requires the use of emotions. Do not ever think that flirting your way to alliances will make it a strong one. Always remember that in diplomacy we are talking about nations and relations towards these entities. By attacking feelings and morals you are not making allies. Sure it will make you stand out as a moral person but by doing that it could backfire and antagonize him. If you cannot win allies through convincing then you have no choice.

      Golden Rule: Always put yourself in the position of power if you are to convince them to your side!

      That's all for now and thank you for reading! Will update this post later for errors and additional information.
      "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

      - Sun Tzu

      "Diplomacy works with leverage!"

      -Krieg Maker

      "We can wage an attrition war forever with no goal, if one is found otherwise!"

      -Krieg Maker

      "The difference between flirting and diplomacy is that the former requires flattery, the latter requires assurance. Be sure to be in the position of power when trying to win through diplomacy!"

      -Krieg Maker

      The post was edited 3 times, last by KriegMaker ().

    • Remember also that a being in a coalition means you cannot have RoW or share map with other countries, so it would be advisable to ally with several countries before you join any coalition (as previous diplomatic relations would be preserved, including RoW and share map, even when in coalition) and use them as extra help if needed.

      Trickery is definitely allowed in the game, so one has to be careful of even their own allies. If you suspect they might betray you soon, you have two options: one, confront them and try to work things out (whether it be forcefully deterring their backstab with threats or whatnot, or reach deals so you can lower the chance of a backstab) or simply remove the alliance between the two.

      Finally, this may not sit well with Bytro but I'll say it anyway: accusing one of golding immediately puts you at the moral high ground, which is good leverage to gain more support for your cause. However, your accusation cannot be baseless as if evidence shows otherwise, you would be mocked, and your previous support may crumble.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

      "Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Little Racoon wrote:

      Trickery is definitely allowed in the game, so one has to be careful of even their own allies. If you suspect they might betray you soon, you have two options: one, confront them and try to work things out (whether it be forcefully deterring their backstab with threats or whatnot, or reach deals so you can lower the chance of a backstab) or simply remove the alliance between the two.
      I happen to betray a coalition once. Made alliances with two opposing coalitions to observe if one is better than the other. Despite having a lower moral ground I preferred the other coalition because they are far powerful. The other coalition sadly is full and I cannot join. I am getting kind of impatient to that's why despite being attacked by the evil coalition I joined them because I want the attacks to stop and I am simply bored. Then it came to me after joining that the evil coalition the one I backstabbed throw hurtful words at me. I was stricken and lost my interest in the game. I quit because of it. I mean, I do not really need any help during the time I was attacked by one of the coalition members of the evil coalition. I mean its my choice, I even offered them to wipe me out if they like, the coalition I betrayed. Again hurtful words was throne and used sympathy probably to win my side. Its pathetic, I understand the use of psychological warfare but sympathy is really cheap.

      Maybe the other coalition does not want me to fall to the opposing side which happened. Doesn't matter tho, I lost interest and quit. I hate when everything goes dirty and since that day I do not like to trust coalitions especially if they do not deliver their promises.

      Edit: It is not like it is bad to be moral in game, it is just that to win an ally you need to make him feel assured not pressured. What the evil coalition did by displaying their capability and some reassuring talks make me join them. I mean who doesn't want to join someone whom you are comfortable with? I am feeling secured with their coalition and feel welcomed compared the other.

      The other coalition I feel is just they are using me. One of their members despite of me not asking anything from them is putting me off. I really hate to be a buffer in game and I wish only to have a purpose. Worse they even spied at me which made my suspicions correct. They pressured me to their whims and I know backstabbing is a cowards way. I just did it because I do not like them and they are too controlling.

      Little Racoon wrote:

      Finally, this may not sit well with Bytro but I'll say it anyway: accusing one of golding immediately puts you at the moral high ground, which is good leverage to gain more support for your cause. However, your accusation cannot be baseless as if evidence shows otherwise, you would be mocked, and your previous support may crumble.
      Many have tried doing that but I happen to see when an accusation fails. Sometimes they post it on the News Article. I find these accusations somewhat impractical and annoying tho. Although I understand the frustration gold users bring.
      "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

      - Sun Tzu

      "Diplomacy works with leverage!"

      -Krieg Maker

      "We can wage an attrition war forever with no goal, if one is found otherwise!"

      -Krieg Maker

      "The difference between flirting and diplomacy is that the former requires flattery, the latter requires assurance. Be sure to be in the position of power when trying to win through diplomacy!"

      -Krieg Maker

      The post was edited 5 times, last by KriegMaker ().

    • KriegMaker wrote:

      The other coalition I feel is just they are using me. One of their members despite of me not asking anything from them is putting me off. I really hate to be a buffer in game and I wish only to have a purpose. Worse they even spied at me which made my suspicions correct. They pressured me to their whims and I know backstabbing is a cowards way. I just did it because I do not like them and they are too controlling.
      Spying on your own coalition is a valid strategy for you to know of any plans that might lead to backstabbing. However, when I do put spies on my own allies, I always say that beforehand to avoid any misunderstandings. It's always somewhere along the lines of "I put an intel spy somewhere in your territory, hope u don't mind". However, situations like these are rare.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

      "Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Little Racoon wrote:

      KriegMaker wrote:

      The other coalition I feel is just they are using me. One of their members despite of me not asking anything from them is putting me off. I really hate to be a buffer in game and I wish only to have a purpose. Worse they even spied at me which made my suspicions correct. They pressured me to their whims and I know backstabbing is a cowards way. I just did it because I do not like them and they are too controlling.
      Spying on your own coalition is a valid strategy for you to know of any plans that might lead to backstabbing. However, when I do put spies on my own allies, I always say that beforehand to avoid any misunderstandings. It's always somewhere along the lines of "I put an intel spy somewhere in your territory, hope u don't mind". However, situations like these are rare.
      Indeed it is strange... one of their members which is close to me is too trying hard. I just can't stand it. That what really throws me off. I mean if an ally betrays a coalition, the best thing the coalition could do is stop communicating and wipe the traitor out. This is not flirtville this is a war game. One less ally is not worth if your coalition is huge enough. I could not fathom what they want the coalition I betrayed but they are huge enough and I am only a single nation surrounded by them. Why not just eliminate me if I betray them? I mean to me sentimentalism has no place in war.
      "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

      - Sun Tzu

      "Diplomacy works with leverage!"

      -Krieg Maker

      "We can wage an attrition war forever with no goal, if one is found otherwise!"

      -Krieg Maker

      "The difference between flirting and diplomacy is that the former requires flattery, the latter requires assurance. Be sure to be in the position of power when trying to win through diplomacy!"

      -Krieg Maker