suggestions to help beginners with military operations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• suggestions to help beginners with military operations

Military. (other posts on the basics, the economy and diplomacy)

It’s a complex and challenging game that does a good job of simulating the ‘rock-paper-scissors’ effect of needing ‘combined arms’ where victory usually goes to groups of units supporting each other on the terrain which gives them the most benefit. For example fast tank stacks supporting by planes deeply cutting thru the open ground enemy terrain whilst slower infantry and artillery siege stacks reduce down bypassed strongly defended cities etc.To get a good idea of what sort of damage units do against other units across the different sorts of terrain there is this excellent battle calculator that allows you to learn in theory rather than by experimentation in real battles. dxcalc.com/share/cow.info.html

Its world war 2 game but as other people have complained, do NOT build infantry because they consume lots of food that will be needed for future research that becomes more expensive at each level.The game is about getting bigger faster than your enemy so build light tanks instead. They move twice as fast as infantry and only use a quarter of the food of infantry and kill infantry in every terrain EXCEPT cities where tanks are half strength AND half life. So having tanks as your main ground units means u can support a bigger army that can capture ground more quickly.Defend cities using your start infantry and by making AT guns (great for killing quick moving enemy tanks) and take cities by bombing down with planes or artillery rather than attacking with tanks.

My military game style was to pull back and defend my core cities for the first 1-2 days – lots of new players immediately attack but because infantry are much stronger defending and every start army is of equal size means that very early attacks usually fail – especially if you sit still and just defend rather than attacking back against them.My first couple of built units are artillery that then allow me to bombard and weaken an enemy before I attack so that my army stays strong and can continually advance rather than getting worn out. It is free for units to heal (they just need to be on your territory at daybreak so try to organise this) but units are expensive to build so it is worth resting to rebuild rather than attack to completion exhaustion and death - hence the advantage of early artillery that minimises harm and allows more expansion between rests. After a couple of rounds of making Artillery I then change to light tanks that I build in my core cities where infrastructure needed to enable tank building also gives me 100% resource boost. In captured cities with a functioning Industrial Complex, I start building airfields to allow Tac bombers which start becoming very powerful after then day 8 upgrade. As my Tac bomber numbers increase, they become my main strike weapon with the tanks on the ground generally mopping out the bombed down targets and invading thru empty ground my planes have scouted out. In my core cities at this time, I also change from tanks to build some SP arty and if there are enemy plane players also some SP AA to add to my light tank stacks so that they can bombard down any targets that have too much AA for my planes to attack.

Personally I think planes are too powerful for WW2 and they end up being able to conduct Gulf War style ‘highway of death’ attacks and can completely annihilate enemy armies, rather than just being air support to your ground armies. If you have a lifestyle that allows you to log on every few hours thru-out the day to move planes around and wait for them to refuel and retarget etc, then they are a great main strike weapon just devastates people only logging on once-twice a day. If you can only coming on once-twice a day then planes can end up being expensive assets caught on the ground or ambushed in the air.A plane player with time on their hands is very difficult to beat but check out posts by others of some possible ways to combat plane players.If you don’t have time to come on a few times a day then maybe building medium tanks with some AA on top will give you some reasonably strong stacks to use but your limited time and lack of air recon means your army will often be advancing blind and its difficult to consistently win with this approach.By about day 4-6 people playing planes will become obvious because if you click on their cities it will show them building level 2 airfields (to make Tac bombers) so you can start thinking about AA and other counter measures. If there are no level 2 airfields this usually means that player is building level 2 infrastructure (though you cannot directly see this unless using spies) and these players likely to be going for a medium tanks as their main strike weapon so start thinking about some AT guns etc. Same intel gathering goes for Naval Ports whose level you can see. if somone is building level 3 ports they will be making battleships to which the best counter will be submarines.
      hopes this helps
    • I disagree with your statement that we shouldn't build infantry...I supposes your talking about 1.5, and in 1.5 infantry is a very cheap unit. I often use infantry and it is very effective for me, especially with comintern and pan-asian doctrine. Its easy to spam and although its slower than tanks, can defeat almost everything if you get enough. But you shouldn't go 100% infantry...usually when I play I use 1.5 I use 60% infantry, %20 tank, %10 anti-air, and %10 naval units. Works well for me.
    • thanks for comment Conqueror. I only played original CoW so all my suggestions only relate to that game and not 1.5 version that i never played. Sounds like with the 1.5 version that the problem of excessive food consumption that comes with building infantry then crippling economy has been fixed?. If most people are now playing 1.5 then the suggestions from my experience could well be out-dated and even mis-leading if the new version has a lot of changes, so sorry that i did not clarify i was only talking about CoW original version.

Just for practical comparison on army use and composition, In CoW (original version) by mid-game (about days 10-12) my main attack army would be 3 stacks of about 5-7 light tanks with a couple of SP AA onto top as my main attacking ground armies. Since i had time to use them, my main strike weapon would become Tac bombers as i could make them and by about day 12 that would be about 3 stacks of 6 Tacs each covered by 1-2 interceptors to help absorb AA damage and give some protection against enemy interception. These planes stacks would would scout ahead of the advancing tank columns ready to converge if necessary and bomb (right into obliteration if possible) any enemy troops so the tanks could keep advancing quickly. Supporting my general advance would be a single stack of about 5-10 SP arty ready to move to anywhere there was too much AA for my planes to take on. Following up best they could would be my surviving start infantry, some AT guns and few foot Arty to help take bypassed enemy towns and defend the flanks etc. All of this above is classic blitzkrieg and a credit to the historical simulation of WW2 by the game that this method tended to do very well. The hardest matches where coming up against a similar sized opponent playing the same/similar style and victory in these cases would normally go to whomever could put in more time or be willing to use gold. Over about 2 years I played about 50 games, Won 40, Got genuinely beat twice, walked away from about 5 heavy gold users (that is only 10% of my games) and crashed out of couple of games because of tech glitches.

The post was edited 1 time, last by taylorwohlt ().

• taylorwohlt wrote:

thanks for comment Conqueror. I only played original CoW so all my suggestions only relate to that game and not 1.5 version that i never played. Sounds like with the 1.5 version that the problem of excessive food consumption that comes with building infantry then crippling economy has been fixed?. If most people are now playing 1.5 then the suggestions from my experience could well be out-dated and even mis-leading if the new version has a lot of changes, so sorry that i did not clarify i was only talking about CoW original version.

Just for practical comparison on army use and composition, In CoW (original version) by mid-game (about days 10-12) my main attack army would be 3 stacks of about 5-7 light tanks with a couple of SP AA onto top as my main attacking ground armies. Since i had time to use them, my main strike weapon would become Tac bombers as i could make them and by about day 12 that would be about 3 stacks of 6 Tacs each covered by 1-2 interceptors to help absorb AA damage and give some protection against enemy interception. These planes stacks would would scout ahead of the advancing tank columns ready to converge if necessary and bomb (right into obliteration if possible) any enemy troops so the tanks could keep advancing quickly. Supporting my general advance would be a single stack of about 5-10 SP arty ready to move to anywhere there was too much AA for my planes to take on. Following up best they could would be my surviving start infantry, some AT guns and few foot Arty to help take bypassed enemy towns and defend the flanks etc. All of this above is classic blitzkrieg and a credit to the historical simulation of WW2 by the game that this method tended to do very well. The hardest matches where coming up against a similar sized opponent playing the same/similar style and victory in these cases would normally go to whomever could put in more time or be willing to use gold. Over about 2 years I played about 50 games, Won 40, Got genuinely beat twice, walked away from about 5 heavy gold users (that is only 10% of my games) and crashed out of couple of games because of tech glitches.
      Wow I just checked your account and THAT IS IMPRESSIVE! you are top 8,000 I think...I just made it to top 20,000 lol
    • I have a similar style although mine tend to have more unit types than mentioned. Also my armies are composed with attack and support armies with medium tanks as spearhead and sp artillery, spaa, mechanized infantry and tank destroyers at behind as support. Maybe the use of paratroopers to wreck havoc behind enemies may help? Just a suggestion.
      "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

"Diplomacy works with leverage!"

-Krieg Maker

"We can wage an attrition war forever with no goal, if one is found otherwise!"

-Krieg Maker

"The difference between flirting and diplomacy is that the former requires flattery, the latter requires assurance. Be sure to be in the position of power when trying to win through diplomacy!"

-Krieg Maker
    • taylorwohlt wrote:

Its world war 2 game but as other people have complained, do NOT build infantry because they consume lots of food that will be needed for future research that becomes more expensive at each level
      Requiring food for research was a down grade to CoW1.0 instituted shortly before the experiments with CoW1.5 started.
      Infantry was already seldom used, even when goods were required for research, due to the high manpower requirement for infantry. CoW 1.5 has increased manpower requirements for other units, which would seem to make infantry more affordable. All discussions about investment costs, tactics and strategy are relatively minor considerations. Most players primarily use ranged units due to the exploits available.
    • @taylorwohlt
      Your guides explain an approach to CoW (1.0) that closely matches my game philosophy. CoW is complex and they make a good foundation for thinking about the game beyond the basic mechanics. There is an art to balancing buildings with troops and use of the market can give an edge. Nice contribution.

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that your stats are similar to mine, except your K/D suggests you are more likely to get your troops out of harms way when diplomacy goes sideways. ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nooberium ().