Army Bar Update

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Army Bar Update

Release Notes - 2020-08-12

Attention, Generals!

Today we introduce the reworked version of the Army Bar in Call of War on desktop, Android and iOS!

The new army bar provides you with more useful information, highlights the most important ones and unifies the look and feel on desktop and mobile. You can now immediately see what action your army is currently executing, when the next attack will be performed, or how many hitpoints your army has. The army bar now also tells you what doctrine the army has, by displaying a distinctive image in the background.

New Army Bar on Android and iOS:

On desktop we also reworked the style of the command buttons which you can find above the reworked army bar. The command buttons will be updated for Android and iOS in a future release as well.

New Army Bar on Desktop:

Apart from the new army bar we made several balancing changes to Call of War 1.5 game rounds and fixed multiple bugs in the game.

Please find a complete list of all changes of today’s release below:

Army Bar:
      • The army bar has a new style and layout. The style and layout on desktop and mobile have a more unified look now.
      • The new status section in the army bar highlights important attributes of an army.
        • Like speed, army size and damage against preferred target armor classes
      • Information was added to the activity section of the army bar.
        • Activity icons and timers for current army actions (e.g. time until next attack) were added.
        • Detailed information was added. Like the exact amount of hit points of the army or the armor class of units of the army.
      • The doctrine of the country an army belongs to is now highlighted in the background of the army bar.
      • The condition boost button was added to the army bar on mobile.
      • Command buttons are now displayed in a new style above the army bar on desktop.
        • This change will be reflected on mobile with an upcoming release.
      Call of War 1.5 Balancing:
      • Attack Bombers deal slightly more damage against light armor class units and ships.
      • Production and research costs for Battleships, Destroyers, Railroad Guns and Paratroopers were slightly increased.
      • Paratroopers:
        • A convert button was added for Paratroopers that are in airplane mode: Paratroopers can now abandon their airplane and convert to Infantry when the plane is landed in a province and do not need to be dropped on an enemy.
        • When the convert button is activated, the time needed to convert an airplane to Infantry is the same as converting from Infantry to airplane. This action does not cost anything.
        • Paratroopers can now be produced in Airplane or Infantry mode.
        • The mobilization time after deployment was reduced from 15h/12h/9h/6h to 12h/10h/8h/6h.
        • Converting times to re-deploy were adjusted from 6h on each level to 7h/6h/5h/4h.
        • Costs for converting a Paratrooper from Infantry back to Airplane now increases with each level.
      • Naval Bombers deal slightly less damage against land targets.
      • Nuclear Bombers and Rockets now deal more damage to provinces.
        • To balance this change Nuclear Bombers and Rockets have less hit points and deal less damage against units.
      • Railroad Guns do not receive a terrain bonus on Plains anymore.
      • Rockets and Flying Bombs now require more Metal instead of Oil.
      • To give Rocket Fighters a more distinctive role in game rounds:
        • The range was reduced by ~20%.
        • The attack damage was increased by 50%.
        • The Goods and Manpower costs were slightly reduced.
      • These changes only affect newly created CoW 1.5 game rounds. CoW 1.0 game rounds and CoW 1.5 game rounds created before this update are not affected by this change.
      General:
      • Image quality is now automatically adjusted according to the memory available with a device to improve performance.
      • Only close allies block 3rd party units from conquering an ally’s province.
        • Nations with “shared map” or “shared intelligence” block 3rd party units from conquering provinces, while nations with “right of way” don’t do so anymore. This change was made to address the issue that 3rd party units were blocked from conquering provinces when their ally had “right of way” with the attacked nation.
      • The sorting order of Ordnance units in production and research interfaces for CoW 1.5 games was adjusted.
        • SP Artillery was moved below Artillery.
        • SP Anti Air was moved below Anti Air.
        • This change was made to make research requirements clearer.
        • This change only affects newly created CoW 1.5 game rounds. CoW 1.0 game rounds and CoW 1.5 game rounds created before this update are not affected by this change.
      • “Army Strength” was renamed to “Garrison Strength” in the province morale tooltip to make it clearer that the strength needed to suppress a revolt is calculated differently than the army strength.
      Bug fixes:
      • The game suggestion avatar is no longer displayed on top of the province bar on Android and iOS.
      • A bug was fixed that caused the displayed production time and the actual production time on speed maps to not be consistent. The displayed production time now matches the actual production time on speed maps.
      • Numbers displayed in the table inside the army info popup are now properly aligned.
        • Values in the damage efficiency column in the tooltip were fixed, previously they didn't factor lost efficiency due to lost hitpoints in, now they do. they also didn't factor the home defense bonus in correctly, now they do.
        • The info button to open the army info popup (including the damage table) was removed from 1.0 game rounds because the info provided in the popup were not accurate for 1.0 games, since it relied on 1.5 exclusive variables and calculations.
      • An issue was resolved that caused the sliding dots in the tutorial info carousel on Android and iOS to overlap with the text.
      • The link in the premium expiration reminder email is now displayed correctly and fully functional.
      • Multiple typos were fixed in the EN version of the game.
      • The Turkish capital was moved from Istanbul to Ankara on most maps to be historically accurate. Remaining maps will be adjusted with a future release.
        • This change only affects newly created game rounds. Game rounds that started before this update are not affected.
      • Starting units in the Arms Race event do not include naval units anymore.
      • A bug was fixed that prevented vital information in the game info panel (game details in the games list) from being displayed. Game info panels now display all available information again.
      • Several issues (e.g. typos, missing connections) on various maps were fixed.
      We hope the new army bar helps you on your road to victory! We wish you best of luck on the battlefield!

Your Bytro Team
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • Lots to like about this update. However, a feature very useful for planning moves was broken with the change.

With a unit selected and clicking on Move order, travel and arrival times would adjust when mousing over different destinations. Now with no time info on mouse overs, need to issue multiple Move orders to find the intended spot by trial and error.
    • AdrianTheStrategist wrote:

One comment about the new interface - when moving planes, the arrival time is not stated directly on the menu like it had in the past. Instead, the time to the next air base is shown, or the refuel time. It'd be useful to implement the arrival time as well.
      Thanks, will be fixed with an upcoming patch.

Nooberium wrote:

Lots to like about this update. However, a feature very useful for planning moves was broken with the change.

With a unit selected and clicking on Move order, travel and arrival times would adjust when mousing over different destinations. Now with no time info on mouse overs, need to issue multiple Move orders to find the intended spot by trial and error.
      Yes, that's also a known issue that we will fix soon.

Since we are at it, another known issue is the movement speed of airplanes being displayed incorrectly.
    • When delaying an army to sync its attack time with another group the arrival time no longer shows for the army, and you have to reopen the delay screen to see the time to compare them. I did discover after some trial and error it is best to determine the arrival time of the furthest/slowest unit and then delay the faster nearer one as the arrival time now shows as you are sliding the delay bar. I still wish I could just type in a delay time versus having to input one and then watch a clock to cancel (example need a 2 minute delay and the smallest increment is 5 minutes). I tried the suggestion of selecting both groups and then setting them to attack, but they did not sync accoridng to their arrival times as the tool tip suggested they would.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • I'm still trying to adapt to the new army bar, but overall, it's a pretty good update. I especially like showing the speed on the side. Although many players like me may have memorized the speeds of certain troops, having them on the side still helps a lot in predicting if I could outrun an opponent.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • M1X2 wrote:

I dont like the new Army Bar. I thought it was just fine the way it was. Please change it back
      No sorry :( I'm sure you will get used to it after a while. We tend to dislike changes if we got used to something, but once we get used to the new thing, it becomes our new prefered way.

Peter Mat wrote:

When delaying an army to sync its attack time with another group the arrival time no longer shows for the army, and you have to reopen the delay screen to see the time to compare them. I did discover after some trial and error it is best to determine the arrival time of the furthest/slowest unit and then delay the faster nearer one as the arrival time now shows as you are sliding the delay bar. I still wish I could just type in a delay time versus having to input one and then watch a clock to cancel (example need a 2 minute delay and the smallest increment is 5 minutes). I tried the suggestion of selecting both groups and then setting them to attack, but they did not sync accoridng to their arrival times as the tool tip suggested they would.
      This problem about travel time not showing during certain actions is also known. We taskified all open issues mentioned in this thread.
      Btw a tip: If you want to sync up the arrival time of more than 1 army, just select all of them, send them to the destination and click on the delay button and confirm without adjusting the slider. The game calculates a separate delay time for each army this way and syncs about their arrival time.
    • @freezy
      It looks like yu guys missed the button for upgrading your units. Unless you can not upgrade while refueling I can not upgrade a level 1 fighter to level 2. I will know for sure in 27 minutes as I have cancelled the future flight path. Unless of course you have either discontinued the feature or moved it somewhere else.

It either appeared at end of refuel or I missed it the first three times I looked for it.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Peter Mat ().

• Peter Mat wrote:

@freezy
      It looks like yu guys missed the button for upgrading your units. Unless you can not upgrade while refueling I can not upgrade a level 1 fighter to level 2. I will know for sure in 27 minutes as I have cancelled the future flight path. Unless of course you have either discontinued the feature or moved it somewhere else.

It either appeared at end of refuel or I missed it the first three times I looked for it.
      you should be able to upgrade....i can.
    • I like some new parts of the army bar, but most of the good parts of the old army bar disappeared.
      Honestly I don’t really like the new bar or maybe it’s just me. I find it kind of weird... everything just doesn’t fit.
      The pictures of units looks kinda old but the bar looks new. To me, it just doesn’t fit well together.
      hi
    • BladeFisher wrote:

Agree. The two major things wrong with it is its style looks 21st century not 20th century and it is so much harder to move things because it is so big.
      Adding on to this, perhaps the size could be adjustable? I just found the buttons on the top are kind of an extension of the bar, so I sometimes can't drag the troops to places just above the bar.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • hey @freezy there is a bug on the new army bar thing.
      Every time you press split unit then either “move” or “Attack” it divides your troops but when u click the point of the map it doesn’t move. Apparently to bypass the annoying thing you have to press “move” or “Attack” at the “split” page and then when u return to the Map u have to click “move” or “Attack” again. Quite frustrating having to do that when you have a big army...
      hi
    • Nn gg wrote:

hey @freezy there is a bug on the new army bar thing.
      Every time you press split unit then either “move” or “Attack” it divides your troops but when u click the point of the map it doesn’t move. Apparently to bypass the annoying thing you have to press “move” or “Attack” at the “split” page and then when u return to the Map u have to click “move” or “Attack” again. Quite frustrating having to do that when you have a big army...
      Hmm I can't reproduce this, neither on desktop nor on mobile. When I click on an army, click on split, then select parts of the units, then click on move (in the popup) and then click on a location on the map, it moves there without having to click on move another time.
      Does anyone else have this problem? Can you perhaps give a list with reproduction steps?
    • freezy wrote:

Does anyone else have this problem? Can you perhaps give a list with reproduction steps?
      I have noticed that when moving a stack to join another stack you have to be careful about where you click, otherwise it throws out the move on the stack and selects the new stack. I have seen this multiple times, most recently when trying to join a DD to a carrier group. I will take notes the next time I am in the game.

Also when scrolling on the map you want to avoid clicking inside an air unit patrol circle. You stop the scroll and are suddenly repositioning the patorl center. I have this occur multiple times per game session.

I avoid playing on my mobile device recentlyy so the above were noticed on my PC