Gibraltar-British or Spanish?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• comrade dave wrote:

Gibraltar became part of the unified Kingdom of Spain and remained under Spanish rule until 1704. It was captured during the War of the Spanish Succession by an Anglo-Dutch fleet in the name of Charles VI of Austria, the Habsburg contender to the Spanish throne. At the war's end, Spain ceded the territory to Britain under the terms of the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713.

Even though you couldn't have kept it anyway :P
      Yeah, but the 'Spaniards' who lost it were actually Spaniards who supported the German candidate to the throne. The Germanguy lost. The French guy won, and we gave it to you for helping the French guy.
      The past is a foreign country.
    • Indeed it was @purplepizza117 and resisted mightily.
      Spain tried to regain control of Gibraltar, which Britain had declared a Crown colony, through military, diplomatic and economic pressure. Gibraltar was besieged and heavily bombarded during three wars between Britain and Spain but the attacks were repulsed on each occasion. By the end of the last siege, in the late 18th century, Gibraltar had faced fourteen sieges in 500 years. In the years after Trafalgar, Gibraltar became a major base in the Peninsular War. The colony grew rapidly during the 19th and early 20th centuries, becoming one of Britain's most important possessions in the Mediterranean. It was a key stopping point for vessels en route to India via the Suez Canal. A large British naval base was constructed there at great expense at the end of the 19th century and became the backbone of Gibraltar's economy.
      British=best. Duh!

• Considering I just learnt a brief overview of the War of Spanish Succession, the Treaty of Utrecht was embarrassing to the French since even though the treaty says Louis XIV's grandson could rule Spain, France and Spain cannot be ruled by the same monarch. I believe it was simply fighting over Spain, and both Spain and France were kinda the losers. Britain was the winner because Gibraltar, and Spain was forced to give up many European possessions.

Anyway, England was the ultimate winner, and Spain the ultimate loser. Ever since Philip II Spain just couldn't challenge Britain/England.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • I have always felt that Gibraltar should really be Dutch.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Ant wrote:

Click on the links I posted in my previous post, watch the videos and you'll see that what you say is false.
      My thoughts before the video: No way. The War of Spanish Succession consolidated England as the no.1 power and humiliated France. Spain was rather weak and lost territory, including south Netherlands (Belgium).

My thoughts after: First video is mostly irrelevant until the end. Second video is opposite - only beginning is relevant. It only stated Spanish victories and the War of Spanish Succession lasted from 1701-1713/4. Plus, there are only a few examples from 1702-1707, and that's the beginning of the war.

Conclusion: Inference that Spain won quite a few battles in the beginning, but then lost the war as a whole. Videos do not prove your point. Rather, it only shows the victories Spain had from 1400s to 1800s. Even the videos' titles is "Spain's Victories over English".
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • I was not referring to the War of the Spanish Succession but to your statement that reads:

Ever since Philip II, Spain just couldn't challenge Britain/England.

In those videos there are quite a few challenges and victories over the English post Philip II.
    • Hm, if that's your point, then I would say yes, you have mostly proven your point. The Spanish Armada defeat caused Spain to fall from its peak, but until the War of Spanish Succession, Britain wasn't fully established as the leading naval power yet, and Spain is still quite rich from its colonies (until, of course, the US and wars for independence).