Distance measurements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I once met a guy who used an Windows Ruler app and used some kind of conversion table for various zoom levels. To complicate matters, the vertical and horizontal distances on the map are NOT the same! To us mere mortals, the aircraft and artillery radius can be displayed by clicking "move" and then holding your mouse over the target you want to know about. I don't know if there is an equivalent for the mobile version; to be honest, I feel sorry for the poor buggars playing only on mobile because whenever I go there in emergency situations the game seems hardly playable anyway...
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Clicking on an intended target to see if you can reach it, is what prompted my question. That seems to be the only thing that works. What if you are deciding whether to build a network of airfields within movement distance from other airfields? Do you have to fly a plane to each field as it's built to detrmine where the next one can be located? Klunky!
      OysterT
    • OysterT wrote:

Clicking on an intended target to see if you can reach it, is what prompted my question. That seems to be the only thing that works. What if you are deciding whether to build a network of airfields within movement distance from other airfields? Do you have to fly a plane to each field as it's built to detrmine where the next one can be located? Klunky!
      You don't have to actually fly there, just hold your mouse over it after clicking "move" and you can see the "fly radius" from THAT place.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • That is one step toward a solution, I agree. Now I just have to have a plane within raius of an existing airfield in order to find out the distance to the next airfield. Still klunky!

Why not put a legend in the bottom right corner? Like a real map? I realize the distortion between horizontal and vertical on the screen, but still, it would give some sense to it, or have a button that allows you to "pull a string" to make a measurement? I don't mean to be critical, but it seems to be a good area for improvement.

I built an airfield just within the range of one of my planes, but now, when I want to move it there, it insists upon flying to another airfield and then convoying to the one I want it at. This has to do with the accuracy of the range circle shown, I think.
      OysterT
    • OysterT wrote:

That is one step toward a solution, I agree. Now I just have to have a plane within raius of an existing airfield in order to find out the distance to the next airfield. Still klunky!
      No you don't; all you need is an aircraft of that type which isn't refuelling or in a truck, ANYWHERE ON THE MAP.
      Click move, hover your mouse over a location (your own or enemy both works), and it shows the "range circle" AS IF you had an airfield on that location with the selected unit type on it.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I tried what you said. The range circle remained at the site of the plane, not where I put the cursor. So then, I tried clicking on the "new" site( where I had placed rthe cursor), and my plane tried to start moving there! I immediately stopped it from becoming a convoy, so no harm done, but no distance measurement, either.
      OysterT
    • OysterT wrote:

I tried what you said. The range circle remained at the site of the plane, not where I put the cursor. So then, I tried clicking on the "new" site( where I had placed rthe cursor), and my plane tried to start moving there! I immediately stopped it from becoming a convoy, so no harm done, but no distance measurement, either.
      click on the new site but don't let go of the mouse so that the plane doesn't move.
    • Maps with scales (both horizontal and vertical) with dividers (measuring instruments) would solve these difficulties.
      Similarly, combat reports that include a grid coordinate would answer many player questions.
      An Order of Battle menu which allows players to quickly locate and control units would also be helpful.
      However, changes of this nature would make CoW look too much like a war game, and less
      like the simcity+ goal of the 'developers'.
    • Fair enough. I am satisfied with the solution that has been presented here. I really appreciate being able to learn about these techniques through this forum.. I've never seen a forum where you actually get answers from people who know what they are talking about. Kudos!
      OysterT