AI are Naval-Base Happy in 1.0 Tutorial Rounds

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AI are Naval-Base Happy in 1.0 Tutorial Rounds

Hello,

It's day 23 in the CoW Tutorial round (1.0) that I am in and every inactive country has built a naval base on every single province it has on a body of water. The AIs in this round have been way overpowered in general.

I guess my question is : Why has the AI been building such large armies in a tutorial round? I'm a middle-level player, but if it were a newer player who was faced with this, I do believe they wouldn't know where to start because, frankly, I don't even know where to start. The AIs have built 9-stacks of troops and have been extremely aggressive with embargoes and hyper-sensitive to even moving a ship past their country.

Please send an answer, and any tips for making the AI not hate me so much! (and believe me, I have tried everything)
    • Thx m8, I've done all of those things. In a different thread from May I detailed exactly, but allow me to expand : I give every AI share map to boost how much these countries love me and then slowly go from share map to war in increments when I'm going to attack. For some reason, every country gave me trade embargo WHILE I WAS GIVING THEM SHARE MAP. I have come to the conclusion that the AI popularity system assumes every other country is active. In doing so, when every country is inactive they continue to assume that everyone hates you because you did something wrong and as one give you embargo soon a few give you embargo and you end up on a steep downward trend (kinda like the issue some planes have where the tool that measures how level the nose is thinks that it's too high when the pilot tries to fight it, so it keeps pushing the nose down harder to a point where the pilot looses control). This deffect needs to be managed in the algorithms where no more than a certain percentage of AI nations can give trade embargo in any given game (imo 15%). If there are 50 nations in a 22 p (22 normal + 28 AI) and 46 are IA, only 7 can give you trade embargo. The others will be stopped from doing so. In larger maps, it will be more. If active nations give you trade embargo, then that will influence your thing more and it will lead one of those AI nations to go to war.

This just seems like the best way to fix the problem. That, or the item I proposed previously regarding Inactivity Scores for players. In summary : players have scores, every time they go inactive the score goes down and every time they stay active until the end it goes up. If they win it goes up a lot. Some games will only be available for people with higher scores, which is an incentive for people with lower scores to stick with the game BUT it's also allows people with higher scores to play more interesting rounds, which will keep them involved in the game.
    • As a general answer, (maybe not directly responding to your question/problem )
      I see since the last update (End of September 2020) that the AI calculations for "popularity" declaring "embargo" and "declaring war" have changed, so another surprise to me was to see the AI actualling fighting much better, not doing the "suicide walk" with artillery and building stacks of 16 or 20 and even one of 40 units in a game that I had to battle for over 2 days to beat.
      I think that is good for begiiners to fight a decent AI and not the dumb version we had before, but maybe the embargo and war declarations too early are overdone.
      I hope the developers balance this and tell me if I'm wrong about the changes in AI behaviour.
    • GGBugh wrote:

I don't even know where to start. The AIs have built 9-stacks of troops
      Now for the direct answer to this I can say I'm not expert but I did study some guides and been succesfull a couple of times at the tactical level (close combat, battles).
      You must be ready to sacrifice some bombers if all the AI stacks use AA and maybe also sacrifice some artillery if they use Artillery too. Need patience to build your own attacking groups, fly over them or use Submarines and Cars to know exactly their units. Attack with the bombers and/or artillery first. Once they are weakened enough (never before) advance with your tanks for the final blow. If they are on a coastal center you can use Cruisers or Battleships, but the bombers mixed with fighters are good even when you will lose some. The artillery or SP artillery level 4 (or higher) is my preferred weapon so far (larger range). Put some armored units wit AT close in case the enemies approach, to protect the guns. and place AA in all groups to defend against planes.